• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

preparing for Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Hello, My name is Margarette and I have just joined this group. I am preparing to have the gastric sleeve surgery and just want to know how I should prepare before and after the surgery. Thanks
Welcome, Margarette. You came to the right place.

On the first page of this group you'll see a lot of posts under the heading "Resources." this is a place where members have shared some of their stories of prepping for the surgery.

The most important thing is to stock up on what you can eat for at least the first phase following surgery. You should have a nutritionist who will give you a list. Just follow that and stock up so it's all there and you don't have to panic-buy. I won't give you a list, although I did put my post-op items in the Resources section, but one thing that really helped me was learning about Magic Milk. So much of what I ate in the first two phases involved using Magic Milk in my soups and cereals, and of course, smoothies.

But ask your team, please, because they know your body and how you've responded to surgery. They're your best resource.

The only thing I'd stress over and over is prepare IN ADVANCE, because at very least, you're going to be exhausted after surgery. I don't know if you have a mate or roommate who can help you afterward, but I didn't, so prepping was essential for me. And Magic Milk is the best thing since sliced bread! When you flavor the milk in a blender with a protein powder like the ones you can get at Trader Joe's and most drug stores (in the nutrition aisle), it's like having a milkshake. When you move into puree, you can add a banana or peach to the mix and it's really delicious.

Congratulations on making the decision to save your life!

Back