• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Protein right after surgery....

Ive started sipping my protein today and I'm two days out from my surgery but when i sip it, it hurts when it hits my little pouch could it be to thick? it's the right kind i checked with my Dr before i bought it so i know it's the not the sugar or carbs... I'm going to try it again later today.:confused:

I thinned it out a little bit, what a huge difference it has made! I can drink it just fine with no pain and it tastes GREAT! :eek:

I am glad things are going down a lot easier, I still try and drink something to fast and it feals like it's stuck in my throught for about 5 minutes. When you start eating meals you will be amazed on potion sizes, I use a small salad plate and there is ample room for a whole meal, the only time when I use a dinner plate is when I am at one of my kids for dinner or I go to a restaruant. Your doing great. :cool: Tom

Thank you Tom! I wasnt' sure if i could thin it out but a friend of mine that had the surgery done told me yes you can she did. It went down some much better with no pain, i was excited. I know tomorrow will be a better day for protein for me i know i will get in more then 10oz :)

So I was still having issuses with the Protein, but i talked with one of my Nurses Yesterday and she put me on Soy Milk for right now , Im going to get some unflavord protein this weekend to add to my food when i start on my puree stage on sat. As of right now im not sick and i dont hurt

I had my surgery on 2/27/12 and still have to thin out most of the food I eat because it causes pain. I can manage the protein shakes without thinning out but make my hot cereal with extra milk. When I eat something solid I have to take a few small sips of a beverage as I am chewing it otherwise the food is too thick and hurts my pouch. This will pass in time and varies from person to person.

Hi
may i ask what protein drink you are buying? I've looked and heard about so many. I bought a huge container of whey protein at walmart but my dr. Told me i didn't need all the other ingriedents that are in it, but she said if i didnt want to waste it go ahead and drink it. I bought the huge container because it was cheaper than buying 4 or 6 packs of pre made up bottles. I still haven't seen the carnation sugar free anywhere, quess i should check online for it. Trying to find the most economical way of buying these products,
do all protein shakes have to be with milk? I have heard of unflavored protein need to find it and try it, i love water more than any other drink.
Glad to hear you're not in so much pain anymore and able to consume more. Take one day at a time. Your new journey has a good start and will only get better, with god's help
blessings to you & family
donna

Back