• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Question regarding nutrition appointment

donnayork

ok, since I am going thru tri-care to get my surgery the only thing that could keep me from getting my surgery thats not a medical complication is weight gain. When I went thru my first class they weighed us in. Is that the weight they go off of or do they starting tracking it at your first nutrition appt. The reason I ask is I have lost weight since that weigh in but when I saw the Dr the first time I am up from then I had had a stomach virus a few days b4 my first drs appt so my weight was down a extra 2.4 lbs. but I am back up that 2.4 but down 4 from first weigh in. What I am afraid of is if they go by the second weight. I know I can explain that I was sick then but I dont want to lose my chance at a better life because of 2 lbs. So does anyone know if they go by the weight at my first nutrition appt. I have done what the Dr said about cutting out all soda and walking at least 30 minutes a day. But I am freaking out over the weight thing,cause once I get the plan from the nutrtionist then I know I will be able to get more weight off b4 the surgery.. SOmeone please reassure me that the two lbs is not going to hurt me in getting this life changing opportunity. Very upset!!!!!:confused::confused: Just really worried cause I have passed all my test and have been cleared by everyone all I need clearance on is nutrition. So I really want this appt to go well tomorrow so once I go to my second one they can see how hard I am trying. Its only been a month since I started the whole thing so I think a 4 lbs lose is good but I expect that once I can get my guidance from nutrition about what else I can do will help my weight loss a lot. I have been keeping a food journal so they can guide me to better choices so i guess I am just hoping I havent wrecked my chance.

Hi Donna,

I used Tri-Care prime as a military retiree. I had to go through a six month session of weighing in every month as part of my paperwork to get the approval. I lost maybe 3 pounds during that time and it did not cause me any issues. I do not think that Tri-Care looks at each weigh in, but rather the overall picture. I suspect they look at the first weigh in and the current one, to note the trend. I don't think that it will cause you any problems. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have no clue as to which weight they will use. However, I don't think there will be any squabbles over a mere 4 pounds. The weight they used for me was the one where I saw the Doctor the first time. I never got weighed for my Nutrition appointments. I did not do a weight loss trial, but my impression was they were more interested in things like seeing the Doctor every month, and what methods they were using like caloric count, how much counseling they did, did they start any behavioral concepts and that it was all documented. I just never got the impression that it counted on the amount of weight lost. I could be wrong but that was my impression. They did have a specific weight loss Doctor they preferred you to go to associated with my Bariatric Center. Good luck on your journey.

Joy

P.S. I did have to pass a written test before she would OK my surgery but it is my understanding that not all Centers do that.

Donna, My insurance company looks at the first weigh-in at the surgeon's office, and a 5-year history of weights from your primary care doctor. I also recently found out that when my surgeon recommended I lose 10% of excess weight before surgery (because of the liver shrinkage) that if I DON'T, I will have to go on their 2-week meal plan (purchased). If I DO lose 10%, I get a free pass!
I wouldn't worry about being bumped out of surgery for a few pounds. Don't get stressed. Stress can cause binge eating!

Thank you so much for your information. I was hoping that someone could give me good news. I have worried so much I've almost made myself sick. Will be happy once this appointment is behind then I will just have to see how many times I will need to see her before she releases me. Again thank you.

Back