• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sausage and Peppers over rice ( Bariatric Slow Cooker Cookbook)

Ange6012

Sausage and Peppers over Rice
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 6 to 7 hours on low
SERVES 8 TO 10
Fill up on protein, fiber, antioxidants, and vegetables with this slow cooker version of a classic favorite. Choosing rice or potatoes over a hoagie may be easier on your digestion during the soft-foods stage while also boosting your fiber intake. Adding cheese at the end also provides a protein and calcium boost.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds sweet Italian sausage links
2 red bell peppers, cored and sliced
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced
1 medium yellow onion, cut into strips
1 (15-ounce) jar red pasta sauce
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
1 to 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 to 2½ cups cooked brown or wild rice

1. Coat the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker with the olive oil. Heat on low for 2 to 3 minutes.
  2. Add the sausage, red bell peppers, orange bell pepper, onion, pasta sauce, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix well. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours, until the sausage has cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
  3. Turn off the slow cooker. Remove the lid and sprinkle with the cheese.
  4. Serve the sausage and peppers warm over ¼ cup of rice per serving.

Refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 2 months.
TIP You can also serve this dish with cauliflower rice, ½ of a whole-grain hoagie, or ¼ cup of baked potato instead of brown or wild rice.

SERVING RECOMMENDATIONS:
Soft Foods: ½ cup
General Foods: 1 cup

Per serving: Calories: 318; Protein: 24g; Fat: 17g; Carbohydrates: 19g; Fiber: 3g; Sugar: 4g; Sodium: 967mg

I just eat the sausage, peppers and onions alone.
I am not a carb Nazi, I do eat carbs but they fill me up fast so naturally I just tend to eat less to make sure I get the protein in.
I made chicken fajitas for dinner last night and used a wrap with dinner. Brought leftovers for lunch to work without the wrap and just ate the filling with some cheese on top. YUM!!

PS: You don't actually "need" the olive oil. It won't stick without it. Sausage produces a lot of fat.

fyi, we have a recipes forum. It would be great if people would use it. it's hell going through posts trying to find a recipe you can only vaguely remember.

Back