• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Scared and Worried!!

GCooper

Ok Seriously! As my surgery approaches on August 30, I am having so much anxiety its riduculous. I have began to tell a few people of my intentions and all I hear is negative things, which in turn makes me so scared now. I finally told my daughter (who wants me to have this done too) she keeps freaking out about the day of surgery how nervous she is. I told her she is either with me or against me. I don't need negative comments and people freaking out over things they have heard. Seriously I am having anxiety so bad right now because people wont just shut up and be positive. I swear I'm not telling one other person about it. Someone please tell me everything is going to be fine!!!! Please. I have made up my mind and am so ready to get this going, I'm really scared but this is necessary for my health and betterment of my life. I'm dedicated and my husband supports me 100%. I'm just really scared.

Gcooper-All of the anxiety you are having is normal. The entire experience is one big emotional rollercoaster ride. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this forum from people who have taken the emotional ride you are on now. Anyone who is having this surgery, especially as they get closer to their surgery day, feels high anxiety along with other emotions. If someone says they didn't feel this way they are either lying or emotionally numb. Some people even feel regret after surgery and end up saying they are glad they went through with it and would do it all over again, especially when they see the numbers on the scale getting smaller and smaller :) :) :) Heck, I remember asking if it was too late to change my mind when I was beign wheeled into the operating room *LOL* Try to relax my friend, everything will be just fine. Line up some things you enjoy doing and indulge yourself, you deserve it!!!

Hi GC, You are not alone, I remeber when it hit me I had just finishe dup my last consultation with the surgeons and the hospital check in proceedure people, it was like a ton of bricks, I was so anxiuos and scared at that point it was crazy, I though to myself what the heck am I doing (And it wasn't heck I was thinking, LOL!) am I really going to do this to myself, then the fear kicked in, like Pat said it was an emotional rollercoaster ride, I had to calm down and think about why I was really doing this and the truth was it was the only thing I had not tried and if kept doing what I was doing I was going to have a stroke or heart attack before I was 50 and I was only 43 then. So try andthink of why you have decided to do this and instead of talking to those with negative thoughts talk with your friends who support you amd to veryone else just tell them you know the risks and are well aware of what you are doing. Think posative. :cool: Tom

I think I disassociated from the whole thing. I was really busy at work and going to doctors I just didn't think about it much. I was able to sleep soundly the night before. I guess when I got to the hospital and they wheeled me down to the operating room it became real. Just wasn't enough time to freak as I was put out quickly once in the operating room. I know this is probably a strange way to deal with the surgery and it was not my intention. It just happened that way. I guess keep busy and do want brings you comfort and peace. Best of luck and try to relax. Sending postive calming vibes your way. It sounds like what you are going through is normal. I not that normal. LOL

Being worried and scared is all part of it. Even the first few days and even a couple of weeks after my gastric bypass, I had a hard time believing what I had done to myself! Each day that passes after your surgery, it will get easier and easier. I'm not going to lie to you; it was very hard the first week after surgery with the drain tube and incisions and all but I'm almost 3 months out from my surgery and I would definitely do it all over again. My suggestion is to pray about it and know going in that this is going to be a journey with ups and downs but most of all, you can have a much better quality of life.

thanks for all the support. Im much better today and feeling like im not alone in this. You guys are great, and I hope to have you as life long friends, and mentors. Love you all.!

Hi G!
I'm so sorry about all the negativity around you. At least your husband is behind you. I can relate to your anxiety. I was having a TON of anxiety and then I joined this group and then I feel better! I am having the sleeve. Good Luck to you!!!

Im going in for my bypass surgery on the 28th of August! Also feeling anxious! I havent tolds a lot of people either, because some of the people I have told have been negative as well. I just surround myself with the positive people. i know I need this to be healthy! Good luck! Lisa

I am blessed to have everyone around in support of me! my friends and family and all my co workers. at first I didn't want to tell anyone because of my pride, but I have found out that the more people I tell, the more support I have.
Melissa

Glad to hear we have at least some support out there...what I found afterwards...which I wanted to slap these people (lol) was that after surgery, like within days, I had people ask me if I could eat yet...was I starving, they couldn't just do the liquid diet, they would starve! lol I just laughed and went about my business...and these were people that I had explained the procedures to before hand...I would think even just commen sense would not allow you to ask such a question of someone who just had any of these procedures...I have to laugh! My husband has been my coach and I am very fortunate to have him! He has been by my side through this whole process and still rides his bike along with me on my walks! Total encouragement and support! We all need our "coach"!

Back