• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve VS. Full Bypass

Stace

Hi, new here and to this process. My surgeon says I'm a good candidate for either the sleeve or the full bypass, it's my choice (long exhale) that being said I am curious as to " if I knew then what I know now" would you still choose the surgery you had why or why not. Thanks!

Hi, new here and to this process. My surgeon says I'm a good candidate for either the sleeve or the full bypass, it's my choice (long exhale) that being said I am curious as to " if I knew then what I know now" would you still choose the surgery you had why or why not. Thanks!
Hi. Welcome! According to my body i still would have gotten the sleeve. But if i wasnt so complicated i would have chosen rny. The rate of weight loss is faster than the sleeve.

Hi. Welcome! According to my body i still would have gotten the sleeve. But if i wasnt so complicated i would have chosen rny. The rate of weight loss is faster than the sleeve.
Thank you Carolyn, since I asked I found other conversations that were very helpful, I recall seeing you very responsive to so many posts and I appreciate that. My concern is more long term than fast... I've lost a lot of weight over the years and gained a lot of weight over the years, a pro lol.

If you are committed to the long term weight loss I suggest RNY. It has a higher success rate, basically because the tool is different. If you understand it fully and how it is different from the sleeve you'll be successful. You will still have to put in the effort and exercise, but it will be worth it in the end.

Hello there. I had the sleeve and truly feel that no matter which choice you make, you still must put in the long term commitment of eating right and exercise. Hope whichever you choose you will have great success.

I am also trying to decide between the sleeve and bypass. Why would someone choose the sleeve over the bypass?
The weight loss is secondary over improving my diabetes. I would rather loose weight slow and concerned about vitamin deficiency.
The more I read about the different surgeries the more confused I get. Is there more than 1 type of sleeve surgery?

There used to a slight difference in the sleeve surgery, but very little, they just started calling it vertical sleeve because it is a better visual tool for patients. The difference between the two is that there is only part of the stomach taken out with the sleeve surgery, leaving you with a 'vertical tube' in which food still travels. They don't mess with your switch, which is what is at the bottom of your stomach that holds and releases food from the stomach to the intestinal track. therefore, you still run the risk of overfilling your 'sleeve' and stretching it out, reducing or eliminating your ability to lose weight over time, hence the success rate of only 50% of patients over 5 or more years.
With bypass they do exactly that, they remove a large portion of your stomach, remove a section of your small intestines, taking the 20 feet and removing between 5-10 feet of it, then they 'bypass' your switch and reattach your small intestine to the 'pouch' they created right below your esophagus. Since you no longer have a functioning switch, food passes through you quickly, and you are also now in a constant 'malabsorption' state because you have less small intestines to absorb your food as it passes through, which makes taking your daily vitamins and minerals more important.
The duodenal switch procedure is completely different from both and is the most effective at weight loss, but also the most malabsorptive as well.

When doctors are determining which procedure to go forward with, it is primarily based on what they think you need for your personal medical needs. Most get the sleeve if they aren't suffering too many detrimental health problems and only have a somewhat mid amount of weight to lose. It is slow and steady weight loss. Bypass is more common when there are multiple medical reasons for the weight loss, such as diabetes, GERD, heartburn, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc. as it can reverse those symptoms on top of weight loss. It is also more effective at keeping the weight off at a 75% success rate, due to the fact that the switch is bypassed and the tool is more effective. It is used for patients needing to lose more than 150+ lbs. typically with some type of medical need as well. The weight loss is fast then stalls, then fast then stalls and can take more than a year to get to a goal weight. The DS surgery is for extreme weight loss, but only for patients who can follow a regime as the vitamins and calcium are needed or they end up in the hospital with the high malabsorption rate that is caused by that surgery. Typically patients needing to lose more than 300 lbs. have the DS done. It is usually fast weight loss for a steady 2 years with a high success rate at 85%. Of course, all WLS surgery is based on insurance and what they will and will not cover which is another hurdle WLS patients face as well. Unless you pay cash, you get what you get when it comes to relying on insurance. If your insurance can prove the medical necessity of the procedure, it will cover it.

Wow thank you for all the great information. Has anyone heard of Gastric Plication Surgery?

Yes :) Basically they are performing the sleeve procedure only they fold the stomach in on itself, instead of leaving it or removing it. It is supposed to make you feel fuller faster when you eat. It has a 30% success rate at the moment and is still experimental. It is essentially another version of the sleeve, as they don't mess with your intestines nor reroute them, nor do they touch your switch. I don't know why someone would choose this over the VS, bypass or DS procedures I don't see any advantage to it when researching it. I thought until the other day they had finally stopped using the band but apparently not, but someday soon and I think patients who review this procedure with the others will not end up choosing it, it has the lowest success rate right next to that of the failing lap bands. o_O

I am new here and know very little - other than what I read and what my surgeon and I have discussed. There are some very good sites to get information - Tufts, UCSF, etc. That being said, the sleeve is less drastic with fewer side effects. Everything depends on the amount of weight that you have to lose and other factors. READ as much as you can - on reputable sites.
Learn as much as you can. After the two surgeries, what can you eat, what must you eat and what can you not eat.
When you know as much as you can, then decide.

Back