• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Solid foods

Kdrivera

Hi all,
I am four weeks post op from sleeve surgery. I have lost 25 lbs so far since surgery (Is that good?) But I can try solid foods soon, however I am actually scared to start this. Was anyone else feeling a little scared and stand offish about starting solids? When you did start it was it hard to keep things down? Or did you feel fine and how quick did you get full? Any feed back would be great so I can know what to expect. Also how long did everyone wait to switch to pureed foods to solid foods? Thanks
Kristy

Hi all,
I am four weeks post op from sleeve surgery. I have lost 25 lbs so far since surgery (Is that good?) But I can try solid foods soon, however I am actually scared to start this. Was anyone else feeling a little scared and stand offish about starting solids? When you did start it was it hard to keep things down? Or did you feel fine and how quick did you get full? Any feed back would be great so I can know what to expect. Also how long did everyone wait to switch to pureed foods to solid foods? Thanks
Kristy

I had liquids for the first week, then the second week applesauce and cottage cheese, plus protein shakes. Third / fourth week I added eggs, tuna, salmon with miracle whip or mayo on a cracker, cooked flakey fish. Also loose mashed potatoes/ sweet potatoes were added and soft cooked vegetables. Remember when you start eating solid food, a couple spoonfuls of food will fill you up. Don't stretch your tummy!!!

My surgeon never put me on pureed foods at all but I was told to chew each bite 30 times. I never was afraid to eat solid foods but rather looked foward to it. I did get sick on a couple bites of toast, I still can't eat bread, even now it makes me sick.

Good Luck! :)

Cheyenne

Thank you!!
I do look forward to the solid foods, and want to start, but still scared. I am afraid to stretch my tummy. I just do not want to go back to being unhealthy. I feel so wonderful, but it is very hard. My husband also had the surgery and we went to the grocery store last night. It was hard figuring out the best healthy foods to buy because we are so used to buying unhealthy foods. I did my best with LOTS of veggies and meat. And next time I will be sure to make a shopping list first.

Kdrivera, I started solid foods after 4 weeks, protein and vegetables only. The best thing to do is measure everything and eat slowly then most likely you won't get sick or nauseated and you won't eat too much. I don't have to chew as much as some bypass patients say they do, but it also depends on the food.
I was supposed to puree things on phase II, but couldn't stand the visual look of the food. I found if I just ate slowly and thought before I swallowed that things went down just fine. You will do fine, don't worry.

Back