• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting the process

valdis

Hi All,

I came across this site while doing my research and decided to join for the support and real info from real people. My long journey begins on January 3rd with my initial appointment. But surgery won't be for a good 4-5months out being that the surgeon is currently deployed for 4 months. That kind of sucks but it gives me time to take part of the support group onpost and here to see what everyone is going through that I'll one day soon will experience.

Nurse who was processing my referal and called me to get me setup, made sure to let me know that they were slowly discontinuing the Lap-Band option due to all the issues when you hit the 5yr mark. So she suggested I do my research on the sleeve which would be the best option for me. I welcomed that info. because I've been through enough surgeries and really not trying to have complications down the road.

But anyways...I'm looking forward to following everyone's success stories!!!!!

Hi Valdis,

:) WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! Wishing you much success in your journey through bariatric surgery!

I had my surgery on 12/9. I opted for the sleeve because of the mal-absorption issues with the R-N-Y surgery. I like the idea of still having a stomach that will absorb nutrients better appealed to me. I also was hesitant about the lap band because with screws and plates in my leg/ankle from a bad break, I didn't want any more foreign objects in my body. I lost 30 lbs pre-op and another 5 lbs in that past few days. The recovery has been easy so far. I still struggle to get enough fluids down, but getting closer to "goal".

My one recommendation is follow your doctor's advice. One thing you will notice on this website is that there are different guidelines by different practices - best advise is to do what your personal doctor says. The support here is great, but what has been advised to one person may not be what is best for you.

Welcome to the group and good luck with the process.

I also attend my first information group on Jan.

I also wanted the Lao band when I started the process .. I am getting the gastric bypass because I am a diabetic and usually after surgery that will no longer be an issue.
I have my insurance approval and completed all tests and requirements for surgery..BUT my surgeon is "out of the country" . I will have my surgery in Feb. I do need to get another EKG and cardiac clearance because of my age and it will be over 6 months before surgery . It seems that I have been going through this process forever but I do feel that I have had time to really under stand what I have chosen to do for my health. In this whole process I have only told my husband , children and 2 close friends.
I was in our hit tub several weeks ago and some how started talking about "a diet". I just said that I have been seeing a dietician . Insurance required 3 visits . A couple people left the hot tub said she was seeing a dietitian before "weight loss surgery".
We talked after everybody left.. Now it seems somebody in my community will be having surgery close to the same time . This will give us both an additional support person .good luck !

Hi Valdis and welcome to the board. Doing your research is a very good idea. I had the RNY in Oct 2012 and am now down 185 lbs from my all time high. Up until a week ago, I had no problems at all, I felt very blessed. However last week I had severe abdominal pain and went to the ER. It turned out I had an umbilical hernia. I had surgery to repair it, but there was scarring tissue that was the most likely cause of the pain, according to my Doc. He repaired the hernia and checked everything else out. I appreciate your not wanting complications, but there are no guarantees with any surgery. As long as you have a good Doc and follow the plan, your risks will be minimized as much as possible. Keep us up to date.

Frank

:cool:

Hi All,

I came across this site while doing my research and decided to join for the support and real info from real people. My long journey begins on January 3rd with my initial appointment. But surgery won't be for a good 4-5months out being that the surgeon is currently deployed for 4 months. That kind of sucks but it gives me time to take part of the support group onpost and here to see what everyone is going through that I'll one day soon will experience.

Nurse who was processing my referal and called me to get me setup, made sure to let me know that they were slowly discontinuing the Lap-Band option due to all the issues when you hit the 5yr mark. So she suggested I do my research on the sleeve which would be the best option for me. I welcomed that info. because I've been through enough surgeries and really not trying to have complications down the road.

But anyways...I'm looking forward to following everyone's success stories!!!!!

Welcome to our group. There is tons of information and advice here. Had my RNY on Dec. 11, so I have just stared my new self. Please join in all you can and learn all you can. In the end, you have to decide what is best for you. Good luck and aks away. We'll try to help all we can.

Feeling very welcomed

Thank you all!! I think I've read everything I've could get my hands on. So as of right now, I just can't wait to find out what the doctor thinks is best. And keep following everyone here.

As of now, the only person that I've told is my husband and we both sat down and went over the pros and cons. He's onboard and understands that this is not just my journey but it's the whole family's journey because there will be major changes.

Thank you all!! I think I've read everything I've could get my hands on. So as of right now, I just can't wait to find out what the doctor thinks is best. And keep following everyone here.

As of now, the only person that I've told is my husband and we both sat down and went over the pros and cons. He's onboard and understands that this is not just my journey but it's the whole family's journey because there will be major changes.
I am in the same situation it is just me, my husband and I are a team on this. He comes to my appts. to make sure he knows what is going on. My small family all needs to eat healthier(besides my hubby I have one autistic adult child at home) and I know that with me making the first committed move; I will be instrumental in putting my whole family on the road to a better eating and a better active lifestyle.

Hi, I found out today that I cannot have the lap band due to 2 hiatal hernias. The doctor has recommended the gastric sleeve. I would like to know how many people out there are happy with this surgery and are the results worth it. I have to admit that I'm a bit scared of this operation, but really need help losing my weight. Also, has anyone had the hernias repaired along with the sleeve. Thanks

Hi, I found out today that I cannot have the lap band due to 2 hiatal hernias. The doctor has recommended the gastric sleeve. I would like to know how many people out there are happy with this surgery and are the results worth it. I have to admit that I'm a bit scared of this operation, but really need help losing my weight. Also, has anyone had the hernias repaired along with the sleeve. Thanks

I chose the sleeve. I wasn't too keen on the idea of adding more foreign objects into my body. I already have plates and screws for a broken leg/ankle. My surgery was last week. The doctor discovered a hiatal hernia while in there and fixed it. I have been very fortunate and have had little to no pain. The hernia repair has probably been the cause of most of my discomfort. I get a little pain when I drink, but it is just for that instant and then gone.

I think you'll be happy with the sleeve. Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the info, Did you have any longer to recover because of the hernia? Are you happy with your choice in the sleeve?

There were no special recovery instructions due to the hernia surgery. I am very happy that I chose the sleeve. I am into my second week and doing great. My pain level has been minimal. Still working on getting enough fluids. I think that is common for all the surgeries.

Welcome to the forum, Carol F. I think you'll be happy with your choice. I'm 10 weeks post-op and feeling great, well maybe slightly tired. I keep telling myself to slow down so that I'll have all my energy back in the spring and summer.
I also had a hernia repair and my gall bladder removed at the same time, and even though by doctor charged the insurance co. for 3 operations, I felt like I had just one.

Sounds like you are doing great. I'm leaning toward the gastric sleeve. Thanks so much for your help and good luck on the journey.

Back