• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting to feel real now

I'm having gastric sleeve surgery on January 10. I'm nervous about the anesthesia since a non-related surgery was hard to recover from due to the anesthesia. I'm sure this is the right decision, I'm 58 and have CHF, CKD, anemia, high bp. mild depression and an eating disorder. I've waited almost 2 years to get approved for this surgery. I'm concerned about how I will manage myself emotionally without food. I know I will need massive amounts of support. I hope I will be so pleased with the surgery that I will continue to use it as a tool. This surgery will make kidney transplant surgery easier if I am ever offered a kidney. Lots to think about. This is not at all an easy fix!
I am having surgery on Jan 8, so we can support each other!

I'm excited I found someone with the same date and procedure as me. You got this and the chat is here for you. I'm a newbie myself and I've had many thoughts about not doing this. I'm borderline too many genetic ailments to discuss but I know it's to better myself in the long run to be around for my children and eventually their children.
I'm on day 4 of my pre-op diet and surgery is scheduled for Jan 8.
How are you doing? I'm struggling. I'm so weak and nauseous. The packaged food my clinic has me eating is so nasty. I'm not able to eat enough. I'm staying hydrated, but I keep wondering if post-surgery will be like this.

Hi everyone! The surgery went very well on January 3rd, but I had to wait in recovery for over 7 hours for a room to be ready for me. I wasn't in too much pain and was able to walk the floor once that night and get up to use the restroom as needed. The gas pain was a bit extreme but that is expected. I left the hospital the next day (1/4/24) and adjusted to home life. I have been trying to get my protein in, which has been a big feat, but I have managed to get 60 grams per day so far. I am worried that my H2O intake is not where it should be but I am trying to be more conscious about that. Question: Has anyone developed an itchiness on their stomach near the incision sites? Or a red itchy rash?

Hi everyone! The surgery went very well on January 3rd, but I had to wait in recovery for over 7 hours for a room to be ready for me. I wasn't in too much pain and was able to walk the floor once that night and get up to use the restroom as needed. The gas pain was a bit extreme but that is expected. I left the hospital the next day (1/4/24) and adjusted to home life. I have been trying to get my protein in, which has been a big feat, but I have managed to get 60 grams per day so far. I am worried that my H2O intake is not where it should be but I am trying to be more conscious about that. Question: Has anyone developed an itchiness on their stomach near the incision sites? Or a red itchy rash?
I don't think I am hitting my water intake goal either. Protien is ok. Been getting 60g last 2 days.
My incisions aren't itching or anything. I used hibiclens to gently wash them. I am just really sore on my right side. You probably should get in touch with your team and see about the itchiness/rash. Glad you are doing well otherwise

Question: Has anyone developed an itchiness on their stomach near the incision sites? Or a red itchy rash?

Do a search through the group for itchiness. I totally forgot that is a common side effect until you mentioned it, but yes, it's pretty common.

Definitely ask your medical team about it. Most of the time it can be alleviated by using a topical itch cream, but there are also pills that help.

Ucbear, glad to hear your surgery went well and you're doing good. I didn't have any rash but I was itchy from anesthesia for a few days, I forgot that already. I'm starting to have itchy incisions which I get when healing so that's a good sign for me.
I've been able to meet all protein and water goals so far but had a glitch when I woke up from surgery and my bladder did not wake up. One week later and it's awake again so no long term issues. Overall I'm feeling good, walking 60 min a day in segments. I'm still wearing the abdominal binder, I loosen it for sitting and snug for walking. So far the few foods I've tried have been good, though I've discovered that my system does NOT like cold. I'm hoping that will change because I absolutely love ice water and popsicles. Right now I'm drinking decaf earl grey tea with fairlife skim milk and splenda, watching the snow fall, listening to music. Life is surprisingly good so soon after surgery.

Truffleshuffle, I'm sore on the right side too, the surgeon said it was the incision they used for the most work and that it will be the most sore. Is that what is sore for you too? It feels fine mostly when relaxed but using the muscles there makes it scream, super painful in bursts. Otherwise the majority of the pain for me has been under my sternum, there's a small incision just below the bra line, I had a hiatal hernia repair and though it's getting better now, it did hurt to take a deep breath, it still does but not to the point where my breath hitches?

Truffleshuffle, I'm sore on the right side too, the surgeon said it was the incision they used for the most work and that it will be the most sore. Is that what is sore for you too? It feels fine mostly when relaxed but using the muscles there makes it scream, super painful in bursts. Otherwise the majority of the pain for me has been under my sternum, there's a small incision just below the bra line, I had a hiatal hernia repair and though it's getting better now, it did hurt to take a deep breath, it still does but not to the point where my breath hitches?
Aww yea, the main incision they used was my lower right side. It does feel fine while relaxed but It definently catches me off guard sometimes. The percecet doesn't even seem like it helps but it really probably does. I imagine it would hurt much more if not.The other ones don't even really hurt. I will get a sharp pain on my left side incision sometimes. I was told I had a small hiatial hernia but my surgeon said I didn't. Thankful for that. I bet that one would hurt too.
I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. You sure seemed like you had a rough time a little. I remember waking from anesthesia and a lady telling me to breath lol. Then i thew up on myself 3 times i think. Seemed like 3 times anyway. Thats all i remember from waking up lol.
I am healing and feeling better everyday tho and I can say to those afraid when it is thier turn for the big day. Try not to be too nervous. You all got this. Iv actually had worse pain with dental problems lmao. .
Keep kicking ass lily and ucbear!

Oh god, that reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me after surgery. I had finally been taken to a room after being parked in a hall for hours. I was dying of thirst and I managed to pour some water into a cup and gulped it down. Well, THAT was a bad idea. Immediately the cold water came barrelling back up my throat, and I learned a new term: "projectile vomiting." I puked all over the nurses who were just standing there ignoring me. I was really trying hard to tell them something bad was going to happen but they didn't care. And if you can believe it, THEY blamed ME!

So much of what happens when you decide to take control of your life is about not depending on help, even from those who are being paid to do so. So before surgery, do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions of your doctors and professionals on the internet. A sharp pain in the side is something I've heard a LOT of our members complain about. But I would still call the doctor or go to initial care. Pain meds are great, but they can also mask real problems that need hands-on medical attention.

I used to always say this, and I'll say it again:

YOU'RE NOT A DOCTOR.

Leave pain to the professionals. That's what they're there for.

Oh god, that reminds me of a funny thing that happened to me after surgery. I had finally been taken to a room after being parked in a hall for hours. I was dying of thirst and I managed to pour some water into a cup and gulped it down. Well, THAT was a bad idea. Immediately the cold water came barrelling back up my throat, and I learned a new term: "projectile vomiting." I puked all over the nurses who were just standing there ignoring me. I was really trying hard to tell them something bad was going to happen but they didn't care. And if you can believe it, THEY blamed ME!

So much of what happens when you decide to take control of your life is about not depending on help, even from those who are being paid to do so. So before surgery, do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions of your doctors and professionals on the internet. A sharp pain in the side is something I've heard a LOT of our members complain about. But I would still call the doctor or go to initial care. Pain meds are great, but they can also mask real problems that need hands-on medical attention.

I used to always say this, and I'll say it again:

YOU'RE NOT A DOCTOR.

Leave pain to the professionals. That's what they're there for.
They should have listened to you instead of ignoring then. Karma and all that haha.
Yea, I am going to talk to my surgeon on the 11th when I go for my 1st post op appointment. I sent a messege in mychart (it is way easier to get in touch with them that way then to call them) to my team asking if the pain is normal on that side and they said pretty much what lily's told her. I'm just gonna ask again to be safe. You have a point about the pain meds masking a problem Diane. That is a possibility. I asked as many questions as I could think of before the surgery. I even asked if the staples would set off the alarm in an airport lmao. Surprisingly, it is possible, tho not very common.

Truffleshuffle and UCbear how are you both doing now? Almost 3 weeks out now and it's still a steep learning curve. I was given the go ahead to start ground proteins and I chose chicken sausage, and that did not go well. 3 days later and my stomach is still telling me all about it, lol. I also realized that I was totally not following the no drinking 30 min before eating rule, now I'm setting a timer after my last sip, eat for 30 min, then set a timer again for 30 min after. Sometimes I feel like it just isn't worth the effort to eat 2 oz of something but I do it anyways. I think I'm having a bit of a slump, I was very sad again on Friday but it seems like it's better, just not feeling like myself totally yet.

Truffleshuffle and UCbear how are you both doing now? Almost 3 weeks out now and it's still a steep learning curve. I was given the go ahead to start ground proteins and I chose chicken sausage, and that did not go well. 3 days later and my stomach is still telling me all about it, lol. I also realized that I was totally not following the no drinking 30 min before eating rule, now I'm setting a timer after my last sip, eat for 30 min, then set a timer again for 30 min after. Sometimes I feel like it just isn't worth the effort to eat 2 oz of something but I do it anyways. I think I'm having a bit of a slump, I was very sad again on Friday but it seems like it's better, just not feeling like myself totally yet.
It will get better girl. Just keep in mind why you chose to do this in the 1st place and how you will eventually feel awesome down the road:) I honestly haven't hit the slump yet. I think it's cause I have been fat for soooo long (since I was around 6 years old) that I am just ready to shed this weight and finally be me. It could also be that I take 60mg of prozac too tho heh. I really really want my knees to feel better and I'm too young for the knee ops. I asked, they won't do it. Which I'm good with but I need the pain to stop lol. So wls seemed like my best option.
I guess I do miss certain foods but I also remember I can still eat them later on down the road in moderation and not all the time.
I was suppose to switch to soft foods today but I did it 2 days ago. I couldn't stand the puree anymore lol. I haven't ate anything that has disagreed with my stomach BUT I have ate too fast and once too much. Had 4oz on my plate but I didn't eat all of it. I had about 2.5 oz and I felt like I had to throw up. I stopped and gave the rest to my dogs. I won't do that again. I do really need to slow down eating. I have been a fast eater since I worked in a factory and you only had 10 min breaks. I tried to count while chewing but something distractes me and I forget where I was lol. Even when chewing I speed chew smh. I'm working on it thooo. I am super happy I can eat soft cheeses now. I had some of my havarti❤️ only an oz tho but it actually is filling now. Before I could eat the whole block in one sitting.
Anyway, I am rambling. You got this lily! I'm sending you virtual hugs

TruffleShuffle, thank you for the support. You're right, I will feel better soon, and I do have welbutrin, so that helps for sure. I come from a family of 6, and I was in the military, so eating slowly is a completely foreign concept, lol. I set a timer and try to take the 30 min to eat, it's much easier to spread it out now that I'm eating more solidish food. I finely chopped 2 ounces of roasted turkey deli meat for breakfast and that sat very well. For lunch I had heat smoked salmon, 2 oz and the time it takes to chew it up really slows me down. I feel more settled now that my stomach is settling down again. My husband said that my stomach hasn't had solid food since mid December, it's probably just not sure what to do with it. Either way, I'll get into a good rhythm with it, and these days will go faster than it seems right now.

TruffleShuffle, thank you for the support. You're right, I will feel better soon, and I do have welbutrin, so that helps for sure.

this is just trivia, but you used to be able to buy wellbutrin over the counter as a medication to stop smoking. I took it (and still take it) because it does help a little with depression. Actually, it's more effective as an anti-obsessive, but it's not long-lasting.

1705876555554.png

There are a million antidepressants and anti-obsessive medications you can get by prescription, but what works for one person won't work for another person. I hope you're seeing a mental health professional, and I mean that with love. Pharmaceutical companies lie all the time, but don't be afraid to have lengthy, detailed conversations with any medical professional about how you feel. Overeating is a mental disorder and cannot be treated with any drug I know of (and I've taken them all). It's more effective to work on your self-esteem with affirmations and therapy.

In Seattle we have a mini-crisis line called the Warm Line, where you can call and talk to a peer who's experienced what you've experienced. Sometimes they help, but often, they don't. Still, for me, calling and talking to someone helps me feel less isolated. I haven't noticed any positive effect from drugs on my eating disorders. Zyban didn't help me stop smoking either, back in the day. But my combination of meds seems to keep me lightly balanced.

I can't underscore how important it is to work on your self-esteem. I have a bogeyman living in my brain that remembers every nasty thing and physical punishment doled out by my mother and my church. I was lucky to mature during the women's movement, because it helped me realize how much crap people were laying on me because I was female.

Congrats and best of luck on your journey.

So 6 weeks post op sleeve and things are going well I think. Iv lost 45 lbs since surgery. Incisions healed up great. Pain in my knees(as always). Nothing new there.
I was put on my regular food diet last week. I was very excited for that. Iv been trying to eat healthy foods and I stick to 2-3.5 ozs of food. When I eat anymore than that I feel awful. The restriction is doing it's job for sure.
Went back to work last Monday. 2 days later I got a cold. Now I can barely talk my voice is so horse. I take my vitamins. Think I need to add extra vitamin c or something. I threw up 2x since after surgery. This last time was because I was wearing a face mask and overheating/not feeling well. I just want to say. I am so happy vomiting doesn't hurt like pre-surgery. Anyway, im doing well. I hope everyone else is too

Wow, 6 weeks sounds like an eternity to me, I am barely on my Three, and time flies for me, but since I started doing the Pre-diet/Surgery/Post-Surgery TIME has been so slow!!! the one great positive thing is that my diabetes, high blood pressure, and Sleep Apnea are in remission and that is why I had this surgery...So I can say even though I am barely in my 3rd week...that has been worth it!!

Back