• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Staying on Track

ToshiMom

I'm a little concerned and need advice. I'm about 2-1/2 months out from surgery and am losing weight on a consistent basis... about 5 or 6 pounds a week. My "problem" is that I think I'm eating too much. I'm supposed to be eating a little more than 1/4 cup per meal at this point, and 1 or 2 protein shakes a day and the 64 oz. liquid. I do fine on the liquid (usually!) and the shakes. However, 1/4 cup per meal just doesn't cut it! I'm still very hungry and eat more. I don't feel like I over eat really, but I know it's probably 3/4 cup to 1 cup for dinner. Lunch is a little better, and I don't have a problem with breakfast really. It's the dinner time meal that gets me. Has anyone else experienced this?

If you're losing weight and you don't have any discomfort after eating then I don't think you are eating too much. Sometimes you just have to listen to your body and do what's right for you.

I agree. If you are losing 5 to 6 pounds a week and you are eating 1 cup of food for your meals - be happy. Just tell your doctor. I think you are losing really fast. I am almost 6 months out and I am still on one ounce of food per meal. And I am never hungry. Good luck.

Hi ToshiMom, it sounds like you are doing fantastic! It can be a fine balancing act when we first start on this journey after our WLS because it is all new to us. When I first started out I always went by scale weight and not by a cup measurement becase food can be so different when you weigh somthing vs a cup, especially veggies, although now I have most of foods down to somthing I can use a measuring cup, I find a 1/2 cup of ground meat is 4 oz and a 1/4 of shreded cheese is an oz but if you melt them together they equal 1/2 cup, just something to ponder. I found it very difficult to eat when I was really busy in my first year because I would always forget but it did seem like a majority of my time was spent eating or drinking water because I had to plan everything just right, I eat 5 or 6 small meals a day, I hit 185 two weeks a go and I am between 180 and 185 now.

I think your body is matabolizing the food you are eating because it is getting used to your new meal plans and it knows when it needs that protien to keep the furnace burning, so to speak. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories and protien to keep that furnace going, you may encounter a plateau here and there but that is usually muscle replacing fat and just balancing things out. It seems you have found that balance for now, and if you are not overly full and don't have any dumping or feel really uncomfortable I would just go with it, keep a food log that tracks your protien, calories and times you eat and see where you are at on the average, I bet you will be pleasantly supprised. :cool: Tom

Back