• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Struggling with the rules and gained weight

Hi, I'm 3 yrs out for gastric sleeve and I've fallen into bad habits. I ate crap all through the Holliday and now I'm trying to get back on track. Im back to not eating and drinking at the same time, and I'm hungry all the time. I time the 30 min wait time. When i do eat its not enjoyable. It feels like im uncomfortabley full, eating slow and chewing well. Again, I know the rules. I've gained 10 lbs and want it off. Someone please give me some information.

Thank you. Susan

Hi, I'm 3 yrs out for gastric sleeve and I've fallen into bad habits. I ate crap all through the Holliday and now I'm trying to get back on track. Im back to not eating and drinking at the same time, and I'm hungry all the time. I time the 30 min wait time. When i do eat its not enjoyable. It feels like im uncomfortabley full, eating slow and chewing well. Again, I know the rules. I've gained 10 lbs and want it off. Someone please give me some information.

Thank you. Susan
I am 18+ months out and having the same problem of falling into bad habits. I think you and I both know what to do but struggle to do it. I am trying harder and working on getting my mindset corrected.

Susan, this could be a post by me, Although, I am only 18 months out. I've been in a stressful situation for months, and then add in the holidays (which were extended to a family celebration on Jan 9th this year) and I feel quite out of control. Which is ridiculous; I KNOW what I need to do and that I am in control of my own behaviors.

I'm finding that real food seems SO filling after eating processed foods for the past few weeks. My husband is having the sleeve done very soon, so I am planning on doing his 2-week pre-op liquid diet with him. I just have to stop using that upcoming plan as an excuse to not worry about my health RIGHT NOW.

So, it's back to measuring and tracking my food and having a plan for every meal. That is the only thing that works for me. I know many people can only eat small amounts and get dumping syndrome if they eat sugary or fatty foods. For better or worse, that does not seem to be an issue for me. So, I know that I am going to have to have a plan and stick to it if I want to be successful long term. I'm glad you found us and hope you find the support of this group as helpful as I do.

That's what I'm trying to do. BTW, has anyone noticed there is a shortage of Premier Protein?

No shortage here, but you could be experiencing the supply chain boondoggle.

If you'll allow me a suggestion, get Trader Joe's whey powder, make a batch of Magic Milk, bite the bullet of self discipline, and make sweet or savory smoothies.

I think Premier Protein is a scam. IMO. But I don't like anything going into my body unless I know its ingredients intimately. You can easily make batches of your own and refrigerate it in airtight containers in the fridge.

I don't like to sound harsh, but woman up, girlfriend! YOU have the power, A to Z. Do you want this, or did you have surgery expecting magic? This is DEFINITELY not the easy way out. But you did the "drastic" thing already. Protein intake is nothing compared to everything you've already done.

Sorry about the tangent. I'm just stunned by people in general, complaining or failing in the face of geophysical danger. Breathing and eating are simple and involuntary compared to what so much of the world is suffering. I spent an hour on the phone with my shrink yesterday talking about it.

I definitely need a spa day at the YMCA, but... fucken COVID... I'm crabby.

Oh, one more thing. Freeze your PP shake in the ice box and eat it like a fudgesicle.

If you'll allow me a suggestion, get Trader Joe's whey powder, make a batch of Magic Milk, bite the bullet of self discipline, and make sweet or savory smoothies.

I think Premier Protein is a scam. IMO. But I don't like anything going into my body unless I know its ingredients intimately. You can easily make batches of your own and refrigerate it in airtight containers in the fridge.

I don't like to sound harsh, but woman up, girlfriend! YOU have the power, A to Z. Do you want this, or did you have surgery expecting magic? This is DEFINITELY not the easy way out. But you did the "drastic" thing already. Protein intake is nothing compared to everything you've already done.

Sorry about the tangent. I'm just stunned by people in general, complaining or failing in the face of geophysical danger. Breathing and eating are simple and involuntary compared to what so much of the world is suffering. I spent an hour on the phone with my shrink yesterday talking about it.

Oh, one more thing. Freeze your PP shake in the ice box and eat it like a fudgesicle.
I have protein powders on my shelf and I will start using them up. It's just that I like the Premier Protein and the convenience of them. Shame on me, but I guess I am lazy. However the easier it is, the better I can stick with something. Yeah, it is probably just a bottle neck in the shipping.

I did try freezing the Premier before but it didn't come out right, IMO. Maybe it's just that brand that didn't freeze well. If anyone else has tried it, let me know.

I agree with you that the world is suffering. So much tragedy out there that I have no right to complain. Except maybe that this Covid crap keeps going on and on. It makes us all crabby! I am suppose to go with my sister on a trip to Florida Jan 20th to visit with our brother and sister in-law We will decide by Sunday if we are still doing it. I will take every safety precaution possible and we will all do Covid tests before and after if we decide to still go. So we shall see. I sure hope you can get a spa day soon and a break in your weather!

Try the fudgesicle idea! It's awesome! You're a tiger, Judy. You can make anything happen!

I just hate the taste of all those prefab drinks and entrees. You know I'd rather cook, anyway. Or mix and freeze, or anything I can have control over. I'm sure it dates back to childhood, when I was swigging down a soda, only to find a drowned spider at the bottom!

I agree with you that the world is suffering. So much tragedy out there that I have no right to complain. Except maybe that this Covid crap keeps going on and on. It makes us all crabby! I am suppose to go with my sister on a trip to Florida Jan 20th to visit with our brother and sister in-law We will decide by Sunday if we are still doing it. I will take every safety precaution possible and we will all do Covid tests before and after if we decide to still go. So we shall see. I sure hope you can get a spa day soon and a break in your weather!

Just because the world is suffering does not mean that you are not allowed to acknowledge your struggles. The idea that you can't complain or have setbacks because you have the power is ludicrous. It's no different than telling poor people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps or those with mental illnesses to suck it up. Or Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake" when her people were starving due to a bread shortage. (which is a misquote, I know, so don't @me)

I think it's wonderful that some people are able to have the surgery, completely change their lifestyle and never have another issue with food. Congrats. But I do not personally know a single person who does not still struggle, at least on occasion. And I know at least a dozen people who have had WLS at this point. The point of this group is support, not shame. It should never be shame.

We have discussed many different types of struggles in this group; getting enough exercise, keeping our homes clean, illnesses, difficult relationships with husbands, children, parents and siblings, as well as any and everything related to WLS. I don't have all of these struggles. But I still try to understand and show respect when replying to those who do.

So, Judy, you are absolutely allowed to struggle and share that struggle with us. Do you (and I) need to make a plan to improve our current behaviors? Of course. We're not denying that. We're just saying we're having a hard time doing it. If it was just as easy as "stop eating" none of us would have been obese in the first place.

I was supposed to meet with trainer at local ymca tonight 6 pm. Got message he tested positive for covid. New delay in activities. But got 17 masks made with nose pieces for good fit. Plus lanyards to attach them to. Durn I feel good.

Back