• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sugar Craving that I did not have Pre Op, and feeling down with no real cause to feel that way.

Mel307RN

Hello, I am post op 8 months. I have been mostly in a plateau with my weight loss for the past two months. I do exercise at least every other day if not daily for at least 30 minutes. I never used to have sugar cravings before surgery, but man do I have them with a vengeance now. I am medical and have been trying to think through causes, but I was curious if anyone else has had this experience. I had normal blood sugar levels prior to surgery. Since surgery, non fasting blood sugars have been in the low to mid 60's on my lab work. On a typical day, I am up at 5:30 am and do my exercises. I then will have a large cup of coffee with Swerve and cream. Around 10:30 I will have a Fairlife Protein Shake or Cottage cheese with fruit serving. I have lunch around 12:30. Serving size about a cup of half a sandwich with a side. Around 2:00pm is when those cravings hit and hit hard. I can rarely ignore them and fruit does not seem to satisfy it. Not satiating that need then causes an emotional response and before I know it I have binged on something terrible. That is followed by yet another emotional response for allowing it to happen. I am wondering if by not eating breakfast if I am causing an insulin surge at lunch time and then dropping my sugar way too low causing severe sugar cravings. I don't have a glucometer to check myself regularly. Has anyone else had this issue and what was your solution?

Hi Mel, I think we all have our special cravings and they are KILLER sometimes.

I have only one suggestion. When you have a craving, stop what you're doing and sit down and write affirmations. Search this group and you'll find dozens of affirmations I've shared over the years, and also, try reading THE ONLY DIET THERE IS, which is a "diet from negative thinking," and is online in PDF form. If you're sad, you want to be happy. If you're sick, you want to feel better. If you're craving foods, you want to be relieved of those cravings. All those things are possible but you need to involve your conscious mind AND your subconscious mind, and affirmations are the best way to change your beliefs.

But always remember, any wound takes its own time to heal, including the psychic wounds in our minds that somehow make us believe the bad old scripts that drive overeating. Along with affirmations, practice breathing, and even consider meditation (which is really hard for me!) because YOU are driving the bus, but sometimes you have to remind your "passengers" that YOU are in control.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Mel! I'm new here and have not had surgery yet and I appreciate the information you have shared. I am wondering how your vitamin levels are fairing on your lab work. Could a drop in vitamin levels cause a sugar craving? I'm interested because I was told I would need to be on vitamin supplements for the rest of my life post op. Based on what you shared it seems you are taking the steps needed to figure out a solution so great job doing that! I wish you all the best on your journey Mel and keep us all posted here where you have support!

Hi Mel, Yes, I never experienced sugar cravings before sleeve surgery but sure do now. I try to satisfy it by using vanilla in overnight oats, eating berries and precut apple slices, and mini bite sizes of peanut butter cups. For a snack, I also sometimes have Trader's Joe's high fiber granola bars that have a drizzle of chocolate on them.

Back