• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Day Rochester Mayo

Do you want to know how my journey goes along the way?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wow! VSG surgery was this AM and what an amazing surgeon and team! Dr. Ghanem did an excellent job this am. I was very comfortable through the procedure, was given broth, popsicles (sugar free) and cranberry juice with water in the medicine cups. I expected to wake up hurting with pain! 16 hours before surgery, Ifound some chewable quick desolve tabs for gas relief post op. What a life saver!!! The pain I had was where they pulled out the stomach and sutured an area to prevent a hernia.

I went in at 8:30 am they put me on a table near the robot nicknamed “Da Vinci” that assisted my doctor. The amazing anesthesiologist then put me comfortably to sleep. For the next 7 hours I had Surgery performed then rolled into recovery with no pain on my left ( your right ) yet I had
pain from the extraction site. When they rolled me to my room and started giving me water in medicine cups and a popsicle my pain quickly neutralized. So make sure to sip, sip, sip! They advised 3 medicine cups per hour for 4 hours. I am on fluids on an I.V. so nurses count cups I drink and my urine in the medical hat they put in toilet.

I have been up walking around most of the day and plan on leaving hospital in the a.m!

Last edited:
Congratulations! You're at Ground Zero for bariatric surgery. They've been leading this field for decades.

Your experience sounds perfect. Please keep posting and let us know how your first day home goes.

You should ask your team, but I heartily recommend including fiber laxative in one of your portions of water every day. I had agony-level constipation after surgery and it took two days to pass the one giant stool that backed up inside me. I thought I was going to die. It makes sense to add fiber because you're not eating vegetables and fruit, which means it's much harder to create an easy bowel movement.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience.

Back