• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery was on Thursday thought I was doing good but got shot down.

donnayork

Had my surgery, woke up to be told that the Dr made a mistake. She nicked my small bowel and couldn't stop the bleeding so had to remove a section of it. Was drinking my water an some protein. Then first day home drank all my water an protein. Woke up sick, the burp vomits are the worse. Called Dr to get some nausea meds an the nurse told me not to worry about the protein due to my situation to consintrate on my water only. I know because I haven't been able to get in protein is why I feel so weak. Will the naseau meds help settle my stomach enough for me to get in some protein? I sure hope so cause I feel like crap right now.

Whew! That is bad news! I am so sorry for your situation. Give yourself time to recover sugar free pudding was my best friend during recovery. The protein will come don't be in a hurry. Walk, walk, and more walking will build up your strength. The anesthesia from the surgery will take sometime to work its way out of your system. It took me a week to stop feeling weak and sore. But walking is the answer to that too.

regards.

Thank you, I just keep having this sharp stabbing pain in my left side. Trying to be strong an not rely to much on my pain meds. But will probably feel better if I gave in. I've been doing laps in my house. I try to get in 10 laps every other hour. Hoping to start feeling better real soon.

Had my surgery, woke up to be told that the Dr made a mistake. She nicked my small bowel and couldn't stop the bleeding so had to remove a section of it. Was drinking my water an some protein. Then first day home drank all my water an protein. Woke up sick, the burp vomits are the worse. Called Dr to get some nausea meds an the nurse told me not to worry about the protein due to my situation to consintrate on my water only. I know because I haven't been able to get in protein is why I feel so weak. Will the naseau meds help settle my stomach enough for me to get in some protein? I sure hope so cause I feel like crap right now.
I am sorry you are having this problem....You can make some protein fudgesicles...I felt crappy also, and they told me I HAD to get the protein in...that was sure hard for me....I am still LOVING the sugar free popcicles...and have now made some choc soy milk fudgesicles...I have a real problem with the protein, but hang in there, we can all help each other with some little tips here and there....best to you this coming week.....I am 1 percent better every day....I cannot wait until my hundredth day.....

Thank you, I just keep having this sharp stabbing pain in my left side. Trying to be strong an not rely to much on my pain meds. But will probably feel better if I gave in. I've been doing laps in my house. I try to get in 10 laps every other hour. Hoping to start feeling better real soon.

I loved my meds, don't be a martyr.

cheers

Donna-Take your pain meds, it's short term and won't hurt you. The less you hurt the more you will be able to walk. Walking will increase your strength and help get rid of the gas that comes along with the surgery. And yes, make sure you drink your water, this is critical in recovery. You also need to get plenty of sleep and naps too. The weakness should start to pass in a month to 6 weeks provising you are well rested and get your protein and water in every day.

Sorry to hear about the nicked bowel. Is it causing any issues? The pain you are feeling in your side is most likey gas and sometimes it even goes into the shoulder along a nerve path. Try taking Gas-Ex. They make strips that dissolve in you mouth and you can also get liquid simethicone which is the same thing and will probably be the best way to take it this soon after surgery. It comes in a small bottle with an eye dropper with doseage marks on it. This is what they gave me in the hospital. Once your nausea passes and you can swallow pills you can buy generic Gas-Ex to save some money. These are tiny gelcaps and it's what I've been using. You're supposed to swallow them but I put one in my mouth to soften the gelcap then bite it to get the liquid out. It's mint flavored and not sweet but it's very tolerable and if you take it this way it works faster. Just chew on the softened cap a couple of times then spit it out.

Let us know how you are doing from time to time.

Thank you so much got my nausea meds today it has helped big time. Have gotta 64oz water in an one protein shake. That makes me feel better. Hopefully things will get better tomorrow too.

Donna-Keep up the good work. Good job with getting all your water in. You will notice a difference every day with less pain and more strength as long as you keep doing what you are doing.

Back