• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Taking calcium citrate were to find it??

donnayork

Hello again everyone I've been doing good on soft foods. But my Dr says I need to start the calcium citrate now. Having a hard time finding the chews or liquid. Went ahead an got the tablets so I at least had something. Is it ok to crush the tablets an take them? Didn't realize how expensive they could be. Input please.
Thanks Donna

Donna, there are many places to get calcium citrate chewables. Some are downright tasty, and I could eat them like candy. I get all my calcium from one multi-vitamin that has everything you need called Bariatric Fusion. They are chewable vitamins that you take 4x/day for RNY and 3x/day for sleeve. My doctor recommended them because people are more apt to take one medication, even if it is 4x/day. They are $24.99 a month, but I found that by the time a paid $10.00/month for my prescribed prenatal vitamin, and purchased all my calcium, and B-12, that it was about the same. However, I have not had any repeat labs yet, so there is a small chance I may need supplemental iron in the future (I doubt it though, as I have never been anemic, and can eat absolutely anything....so far). As for crushing your regular calcium citrate, that is fine.
Do you ever feel like there are so many new rules to learn?? Vitamins are almost as tricky as learning when you can eat, and when you can drink. For instance, you can't take iron with your calcium, and the calcium has to be in divided doses... I finally feel like I am getting it all together a little over two months out. Anyway, I'm sure others will have actual brand names for you to check out. I just wanted to put a plug in for my wonderful little Sweetart-like chewable that has it all.:D

Thank you so much. I ordered some chews, they had 90 in them which will last 30 days. Do you have to take 1500 mg a day? My Dr is so strict on everything. She has my food choices very limited. Right now the water thing is getting me the stopping 30 before an after. I try to eat with my family so its a puzzle to work. But getting there.

Calcium citrate

I have been off of the chewable's now for 2 wks. I just stopped in my hospitals pharmacy and asked what they had because I was told a lot of times they have the cheapest. I now have these horse pills, that I bought a pill cutter for by the generic brand called Major Calcitrate Calcium Citrate +D3. It has 100 coated caplets that I take that equals to 630 mg 3 times a day for about $5.46. Which reminds me I need to stop in and buy some more.Always looking to see what others take though.

I cannot use anything coated or anything large because it will not go through my band. RNY patients need things readily absorbable so that is why chews are best. Otherwise it goes through and does not absorb and you end up wasting your money. I cut up all my pills or crush them although I haven't needed to lately since I am over a year out now. Unjury sells band, sleeve, and Bypass optimized vitamins and calcium but I think they are expensive. I do use the vitamins though since they are once a day instead of twice. I am supposed to take 2000 mgms of calcium a day (4 chewables of 500 each) but I usually manage only 3. There are many other sites that sell what you need including this one. Just do a search. YOu can also find things at your local health food stores and many pharmacies. The pharmacists are more than willing to help you if you tell them what you are looking for and will often order special things for you as will some health food stores. Good luck. You are doing great so far. Keep up the good work.

Donna-I buy calcium citrate tabs at Costco. They are cheap, cheap, cheap and they don't cost much either *LOL* I chew mine with a small amount of warm liquid like coffee. It helps to break them down and easier to swallow more than cold liquid does. Not the best tasting thing but the coffee helps disguise the taste a little. Keep them towards the back of your mouth as you chew and you won't taste them too much.

Pat, looking so good! Did you have your hip surgery yet? Been thinking about you. Missed seeing you recently. Joy

Joy-Surgery was on 4/2 and went perfectly. My right hip joint was completely worn out due to osteoarthritis as was part of my pelvis which needed some reconstruction. I did have quite a difficult time in recovery due to pain not being able to be controlled comfortably but was OK within a couple of hours. After the second day I improved daily. I was transferred to a skilled nursing facility on 4/5 for physical and occupational therapy. I spent the last 14 days there and returned home yesterday. I am very happy to be back home and the first thing I did was make a good cup of coffee. I am doing exceptionally well and can walk full steps with a walker. On my first day at the nursing facility I couldn't even lift my right leg more than 1/2 inch off the floor with a great amount of effort and pain. I am happy to say that for the first time in a long time I am totally pain free in my right hip and my surgical pain is very minimal. I will continue with out patient physical therapy until I can walk normally. The surgeon lifted my driving restriction on Monday and I am able to walk up and down stairs so I am well on my way to being as independent as I was before this mess started over 7 years ago. With the surgery behind me things should be back to "normal" soon, whatever that is *LOL*

Back