• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Taking step one...

bobsingleton

I was asked by my doctor to consider bariatric surgery. I attended a presentation about two months ago and decided to look into a sleeve. I was considering a local weight loss surgeon and one in Las Vegas. I have had a horrible experience with the local surgeon's contact person so am leaning toward going to Las Vegas. I am concerned of course about having surgery done so far away and having any complications. Another obstacle I did not see is trying to find someone to fulfill the requirement for at least one therapy session. I have contacted several therapists but not one has contacted me. I can understand them not being interested in a single session. Can anyone send me a contact that I could look into? Any advise on going out of town?

I'm awaiting insurance approval for my bypass, but I think you should look into the Atlanta area if you cannot find a local group to do your surgery. It's only a 4-hour drive or bus ride. I believe you'll be able to find everything you need to be successful. I'm new to this site but send me a private chat if you want a referral.

Hi,

I haven't been around in a while and decided to stop by.

There can be major problems with going out of town especially if you have complications. I know that people who have a lapband as do I Have a hard time finding a Dr. to add saline to a port or do anything if there is a major problem. Surely there is more than one surgeon in Charlotte who can do your surgery. You are close to other metropolitan areas that might be better. Just make sure that whatever you decide the center or hospital is a "Center of Excellence". You might want to be closer to your surgeon. Very often other surgeons won't touch you if there is a problem which means a trip back to your Doctor. Make sure you have a support system where you live for back up. Regarding the psych eval - very often your surgeon wants you to see someone in their practice so check with the people in Vegas. I had to have loads of other tests as well all done at the hospital where I had my surgery.

Good luck. Joy

Any bariatric center that you choose should have a psychologist (as well as dieticians, nurse practitioners, nurses, etc) on staff. If they don't, it's probably not a bariatric center of excellence. Look until you find one.

I am also in the Atlanta area, will finish my testing next week, at Atlanta medical center. will probably have our surgeries pretty close in time. let me know when they schedule your surgery, maybe we can share information, diets, questions and concerns. I need to lose 100 lbs, and am having the gasto bypass

Back