• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Time out of work

My doc used robotic laproscopy and told me he felt this would eventually be an out-patient procedure, but for the time being it was considered best practice to monitor overnight in the hospital and then release the following day if no complications. I took 2 days off work; one for the surgery and the following day because I was still in hospital awaiting release until right at 24hrs past surgery.
Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since surgery for me.

I had my surgery 2/14/20 and went back to my office job 10 days after surgery. I was slightly low on energy but I packed several yogurts and soft food and liquid and was fine. I think it depends on what you do at your job. I had a very busy week with long days but it got me moving a lot and feeling great already three weeks post op. I have some gas pain but I fee 90% back to normal already. Good luck!

This is encouraging! I am scheduled for RNY on 4/2/20 and intend on returning to work (I’m a podiatrist, a bit of up and down) on 4/13/20. Really trying to focus on the dehydration aspect mostly.
I had a lap-choly in on a Friday in January and went back to work the following Monday. Don’t do that. It was DUMB.

I had sleeve done on a Thursday, back too work on Tuesday. A single dad, could not take any more time off. Had to get back to work. I have a desk job but walked was able to get up and walk a few times during the day. No complications at all which really helped.
Greg - so good to hear that experience!! I went back to work at 2 weeks after each baby (c-section) as we own our business and mom needed to get back! I hear you there!!

My doc used robotic laproscopy and told me he felt this would eventually be an out-patient procedure, but for the time being it was considered best practice to monitor overnight in the hospital and then release the following day if no complications. I took 2 days off work; one for the surgery and the following day because I was still in hospital awaiting release until right at 24hrs past surgery.
Tomorrow marks 4 weeks since surgery for me.
Hi, I am new to this group and have upcoming sleeve gastrectomy. I was wondering how long people were out of work and when they felt like they could go back. My surgeon said if no complications I could go back in a few days but I wanted to know realistically how long people who have had surgery with no complications felt like they were up to going back , I have a desk job. Just trying to figure how long to take off of work. Thanks :)

I had a lap-choly in on a Friday in January and went back to work the following Monday. Don’t do that. It was DUMB.
Totally dumb! You could have just waited and gone in for the lap coly at the same time as you have the sleeve or whatever prep procedure happening they have a habit of taking out the gallbladder. So you had two you had one surgery and I are going to have another one because you when you could have had just one surgery

Hi, I am new to this group and have upcoming sleeve gastrectomy. I was wondering how long people were out of work and when they felt like they could go back. My surgeon said if no complications I could go back in a few days but I wanted to know realistically how long people who have had surgery with no complications felt like they were up to going back , I have a desk job. Just trying to figure how long to take off of work. Thanks :)
I feel like every person is different. I personally had 4 weeks off. From experience, I would take at least a week off. That first week is tough because you aren't eating much, may still have pain (most likely gas pain), and will be exhausted! Naps will be your best friend, lol. But we have had members who have gone to work after a couple of days off and some that have taken up to six weeks off. Look at what you can afford financially, if you have medical leave pay, and then go from there. Do what you are comfortable with just try not to rush back too quickly. A little self care can go a long way.

...and when they felt like they could go back.

My experience was being anxious to get on with life & recovery. I didnt want to take off work and sit/lay around all day doing mental battle; I wanted the distraction of a normal schedule & work.

I also have a sedentary job, so physical stress was zero concern. Had i experienced any difficulty, I could have taken as much time off work as I wanted. 95% of all my surgical pain was immediately following & that first night.

After RNY on March 12, it was recommended by my surgeon that I take 2 weeks off from work, which I did. Scheduled to return to work at the end of March, we were then in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, which allowed me to work from home. Had I not had the luxury of working from home, I'm not sure I could have returned to work when I did. I experienced a lot of nausea and fatigue for the first few weeks.

Back