• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Traveling struggles

SDorough

I took the year off of work to travel with my retired spouse. The first trip we took 18 months after surgery I lost weight. Now I'm 4 years out and I am slowly gaining. I try to watch my food but find myself snacking more. Anyone out there with traveling tricks that have worked to keep from gaining.
Stephanie
328 pre 2019
210 2024
Lowest 190

I took the year off of work to travel with my retired spouse. The first trip we took 18 months after surgery I lost weight. Now I'm 4 years out and I am slowly gaining. I try to watch my food but find myself snacking more. Anyone out there with traveling tricks that have worked to keep from gaining.
Stephanie
328 pre 2019
210 2024
Lowest 190
Stephanie, are you still traveling? I'm not clear about what's contributing to your struggle.

Traveling while sticking to a healthy plan is hard. Are you road tripping while traveling? Or just looking to eat healthier meals while out?

When on the road, I like to fill up a small cooler with waters and healthy snacks. I like yogurt, hard boiled eggs, nuts, meats, cheeses, even protein bars. I don't want to stop at a restaurant for every meal. Most rest stops have a picnic area, or find a beach etc to picnic.

When you fly into a place, its a little different. But you can usually find a grocery store and buy the same types of things for quick breakfast and snack options. I try to stick to eggs for breakfast and salad or soup for lunch if we have to go out.

Most restaurants have healthy options. But, I never skip the local famous food, fattening or not. Which is why I have to eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast lol

If you can handle protein shakes, they are a good meal replacement so you can do what Missy suggested, enjoying local specialties without the guilt. Do you get at least 64oz or more water daily? Bringing along those little bottles of water flavor enhancers make drinking water a lot more fun and are a better alternative to sodas, sweet tea, etc. Mio has a delicious Southern "sweet" tea flavor that my husband loves.

Traveling is so much easier & fun when you have a new healthier you. Enjoy yourselves & store up those wonderful memories.

Traveling while sticking to a healthy plan is hard. Are you road tripping while traveling? Or just looking to eat healthier meals while out?

When on the road, I like to fill up a small cooler with waters and healthy snacks. I like yogurt, hard boiled eggs, nuts, meats, cheeses, even protein bars. I don't want to stop at a restaurant for every meal. Most rest stops have a picnic area, or find a beach etc to picnic.

When you fly into a place, its a little different. But you can usually find a grocery store and buy the same types of things for quick breakfast and snack options. I try to stick to eggs for breakfast and salad or soup for lunch if we have to go out.

Most restaurants have healthy options. But, I never skip the local famous food, fattening or not. Which is why I have to eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast lol

Truthfully it's all of it; we're traveling in an Rv and we only stay in one place like 2 days rhen we're on the road again. When we get to a place we're sight seeing. I think I'll try your suggestions.

If you can handle protein shakes, they are a good meal replacement so you can do what Missy suggested, enjoying local specialties without the guilt. Do you get at least 64oz or more water daily? Bringing along those little bottles of water flavor enhancers make drinking water a lot more fun and are a better alternative to sodas, sweet tea, etc. Mio has a delicious Southern "sweet" tea flavor that my husband loves.

Traveling is so much easier & fun when you have a new healthier you. Enjoy yourselves & store up those wonderful memories.
I don't get enough water but I'm trying to get more of those small bottles in.

Back