• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Two weeks out an still having major pain in left side!!

donnayork

Help, this pain in my left side is taking a toll on me. Sometimes it does have gas that causes a stabbing pain but the rest of the pain never goes away. Called my nurse she said take my pain meds. Ugh!!!! Has anyone else experienced this?? I can't bend over because of the pain, can't really get comfortable sitting or laying its always there. Like I said before my Dr knicked my small bowel during the surgery an had to removed a section of it. So I'm hoping that the pain is just it healing. I go to the Dr this coming Tuesday I am getting scared of what it could be don't want to be in the hospital again. Anyone who could possible have had this before that can set my mind to ease?
Donna

I did not have this problem, but I would definitely see my GP as soon as possible, tomorrow would be great. Waiting until Tuesday seems too long to wait for an explanation. I will send good vibes your way. Let us know that you find out.

Frank

:cool:

This left-sided pain seems to be fairly common in RNY patients. It is usually the area where the doctor did most of the manipulation. As your nurse said, take your pain medication as needed. However, if you spike a temperature, start to have vomiting, or the area gets red and tender you should head to the ER. What is weird is that my pain like this was on the right. It lasted two weeks before it gradually started to get better. Hang in there. Pain meds are your friend right now.

Thank you, that makes me feel better I was really getting scared. I'm almost out of pain meds so I just hope she will refill. You guys are the best. You put my mind at ease an my husbands too. He has been in edge since my Dr knicked my small bowel an had to remove a section. He was afraid that's what caused my pain.

The bowl is the fastest healing organ in the body, if everything is put back together right you should be up and running in no time. My surgery was different being a sleeve but I did have pain on the right side for a week or two. It's major surgery and you just have to roll with the punches.

Dennis

Still having the pain. Go to Dr tomorrow hoping to get some answer. At least more than "take your pain meds". Will up date when I get home. Thank you for asking!

Saw dr. Pain is nerves an muscle pain. Starting me on new meds to help heal nerves an get muscle to relax. Come back in two weeks. Get to start on soft foods. Yippee!!

So far so good, everything seems to be agreeing with me. Thank goodness. But I do get full off my 1/4 cup serving which is so awesome.

Hi, Donna (By the way, I just joined and this is my first post! Yay!) Have you and your doctor thought about gall bladder issues? I understand gall bladder disease can be a complication post-gastric surgery. I ask because I've had my gall bladder removed, and the pain you describe sounds like what I experienced as my condition worsened. I ended up with an inflamed pancreas, and so the pain - which had been cyclical - became persistent. I don't want to alarm you, and I'm hoping that your pain is gone by now and all is well with you. My surgery isn't scheduled yet, but I'm trying to walk the walk. I love this forum! Best of luck!

My Dr said my pain is nervers and muscle pain. Maybe turn out to damaged nervers from the site were the stapler was put in. So I'm on meds to repair the nervers an spend a lot of time sitting with a heating pad to relax the muscles. Go back to the Dr on the 18th for a recheck. Pray meds take care of it. She said it would take several days for the meds to work so we will see. Thank you for the input will keep it in mind.
Thanks
Donna

Help, this pain in my left side is taking a toll on me. Sometimes it does have gas that causes a stabbing pain but the rest of the pain never goes away. Called my nurse she said take my pain meds. Ugh!!!! Has anyone else experienced this?? I can't bend over because of the pain, can't really get comfortable sitting or laying its always there. Like I said before my Dr knicked my small bowel during the surgery an had to removed a section of it. So I'm hoping that the pain is just it healing. I go to the Dr this coming Tuesday I am getting scared of what it could be don't want to be in the hospital again. Anyone who could possible have had this before that can set my mind to ease?
Donna
Not quite sure what it is, been calling my doc and he said it could be the muscle healing and to ice it and changed my pain meds. Praying for some relief, I hope you find some relief also.

This left-sided pain seems to be fairly common in RNY patients. It is usually the area where the doctor did most of the manipulation. As your nurse said, take your pain medication as needed. However, if you spike a temperature, start to have vomiting, or the area gets red and tender you should head to the ER. What is weird is that my pain like this was on the right. It lasted two weeks before it gradually started to get better. Hang in there. Pain meds are your friend right now.
They sure are, my doc wanted me to wean off the pain meds and I'm like I can't move. I'm trying everything. It seems like if I put pressure on my left side the pain isn't as bad. Right now I just tried wrapping an ace bandage around with a towel folded on my side to see if it will help. Something has too.

Back