• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Water... Making me sick

ToshiMom

I'm finding towards the end of the day, water upsets my stomach... has this happened to anyone else? I add Crystal Lite and that helps, but not always. I'm 2 weeks post-op. Other than that, I've had no problems!!

If it happens only after the end of the day I'm guessing it may be due to something you are eating or drinking during the day that is causing irritation. Stay away from caffeine for at least 3 months. You should also have been given a prescription from your surgeon for an acid reducer such as Prilosec to take 1 or 2 times a day.

If the pain persists or gets worse you should call your surgeon. Make sure you at least mention it during your next follow up visit.

I am 5 weeks post op and I sometimes find that happens to me too. Especially if I eat something later in the evening. I am having a hard time tolerating water at all. I am drinking the diet Lipton's Green Ice Tea instead and it is fine, but I still feel dehydrated. I am at the soft food stage so my choices of what to eat are expanding, but I still find most things do not sit well after I eat them. BTW, be sure not to lie down or even recline too much after drinking. That can also contribute to the upset stomach.

Hi Queenie, are you drinking decaf tea, with the RnY we are supposed to stay away from caffeen for two or tree months. That may be what is upsetting your pouch. :cool: Tom

Hi Tom,

We discussed this with the nutritionist when I was there on Tuesday. The Lipton's does not say decaf, but there is no caffein listed in the contents, which is required if it is in there in an appreciable amount. I am trying to drink other things though, to try and increase my hydration level.

Thanks everyone! Doc said it's no unusual to have this problem soon after surgery. Nutritionist said to drink cool, not cold or iced water, not use a straw and to slow down. All of those have helped.

Hi Tom,

We discussed this with the nutritionist when I was there on Tuesday. The Lipton's does not say decaf, but there is no caffein listed in the contents, which is required if it is in there in an appreciable amount. I am trying to drink other things though, to try and increase my hydration level.

Caffeine occurs naturally in tea and coffee. It's only required to be on the label if it's an added ingredient.

Back