• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss

Hi Julia, Welcome. We are all different when it comes to the when some have even come home weighing more but it was water weight from the IV fluids and comes off quick. You should notice some weight loss after the first week but it is different for all of us, and men tend to lose weight quicker than women (soory I don't know why). :cool: Tom

Julia I am 1 week and 2 days post op and I went in at 203 and came out at 217 if you can believe that. I drank the protein drink at hospital and at home a day and then got really nauseated from Friday night til Sunday morning so had NOTHING to drink at all and when I left for the hospital I was down to 201#s . The amount of water weight was due a few problems in hospital so the pressed the IV fluids too much and I was fluid everywhere so Lost the water weight. I was readmitted Sunday and came home today, and was 202.4. IF you lose NOTHING in week I would call my nutritionist but it may be the fluids you retained but if you doing it all right you WILL lose. I just looked and you and I were done on the same day. Did you get really severe gas pains in your shoulders and betw your shoulder blades, I did and it was pretty serious pain. Keep us posted on your loss. Where did you have your surgery?

Julia-I came home weighing 24 lbs. more than the day of surgery. It was all fluid retention from the IV's. I was allowed to take a dieuretic with the surgeons authorization and lost the fluids VERY quickly. My actual weight loss started immediately afterwards. More than likely it will come off quickly in the beginning then taper off somewhat as time goes by. Some weeks you may not show much of a weight loss at all especially if you exercise regularly because you are building muscle while losing fat and the muscle weighs more. It's all good!!!

Julia, I too came home weighing more then when I went in. I am now two weeks post op and down 10 pounds from my going in weight.

Thanks everyone! Sandie: i had my surgery in Greensboro, NC. I have not had the real bad gas pains, just dry mouth and nausea. I ended up having a bad allergic reaction to the dermabond glue they put on top of my incisions so that has been my only set back.

I just got a lap band put on but had hernia surgery at the same time. At ten days post surgery I had not lost weight and in fact gained about 15 pounds in the hospital. It seems like at my six weeks appt I had lost about ten pounds and then steady loss every month of anywhere from 3-8 pounds a month. I am currently doing better than 5 pounds a month average since surgery. Of course a lap band offers slower wt loss but I am pleased. I am half way to my goal. They told me not to expect much for the first month and to use that time to get used to the routine of vitamins, fluid intake, protein intake, and start my exercise routine. My friend who had RNY surgery two months before me just about melted away but I was reminded that I am older and that everyone loses at different rates and she was able to walk three miles a day while I have arthritis which interferes with my ability to exercise. So remember, none of us gained the weight in a week and we won't lose it in a week. Over a period of time and by following your program the weight will come off. Don't get depressed over it.

Back