• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what am I doing wrong?

Scrapper

I have been reading posts here and it seems like so many have lost so much more than I have quicker. I am 4 weeks out and have only lost 18 pounds. I know I have not gone over 600 calories if that any time since surgery. If I am lucky I can now get two ounces down in one sitting of anything. I do two protein shakes a day that are low fat and sugar. What am I doing wrong? I cook most of my meals so I know that they are WLS friendly. So not loving this right now. I feel like I could have done this on a Weight Watchers diet.

First thing to look at when checking others weight loss is their starting weights.. The higher the weight at start the quicker weight loss in the beginning.

Just to make sure... Did you have your surgery in 2013 or 2014?

I have been reading posts here and it seems like so many have lost so much more than I have quicker. I am 4 weeks out and have only lost 18 pounds. I know I have not gone over 600 calories if that any time since surgery. If I am lucky I can now get two ounces down in one sitting of anything. I do two protein shakes a day that are low fat and sugar. What am I doing wrong? I cook most of my meals so I know that they are WLS friendly. So not loving this right now. I feel like I could have done this on a Weight Watchers diet.

Eighteen pounds in the first month. If you average that every month, you will lose 54 more pounds in 3 months time. Your goal weight is 150, you now weigh 205, so you would weigh 151lb. in 3 months time at the rate you are losing now. Not bad at all! Have patience, you didn't gain the excess weight in one month and it will take a few months to lose it under the best of circumstances. GOOD LUCK!!!

Cheyenne

How much of that Weight Watchers weight did you keep off? This is permanent weight loss and will come off slowly and surely if you follow your program. There's no malabsorption with the sleeve, so it takes a little longer.
Welcome to the forum and be patient!

You can't look at other people's numbers and compare to yourself. As an earlier poster noted - Higher start numbers will make a difference. And so many other factors play into that as well. I know at our hospital support group, they have us go around the room and give our "stats". I am not a fan of it. Of course the guy that started at over 400lbs has lost a lot more. Just keep following the advise you've been given by your doctor's office and/or nutritionist. You'll get there. And I suggest you get a tape measurer and measure yourself - you might see inches coming off rather than pounds. Good luck.

I lost 12 pounds the first month. I was a slow and steady loser. Lost something each month for 15 months and then stopped. I decided my body knew the best weight for me and decided this would be my maintenance weight. You will lose most of your weight for first 12 to 18 months and you can continue to lose after that if you want to. You are not doing anything wrong. Sounds like you are right on target. Do not compare yourself to others this is your journey. You are doing great.

I had it in 2014, This week I have not lost any weight at all. My typical menu is a protein shake in the morning, a small serving of canned sugar free fruit, 2 ounces of lean meat for lunch, 2 ounces of lean meat for dinner, a sugar free jello, and a protein drink before bed. No cheating at all.

Thank you all. I realize I am impatient. It's all so different. You are right. I am losing steadily and weight watchers never did keep the weight off. It's a process and I am determined to be more positive going forward

I had it in 2014, This week I have not lost any weight at all. My typical menu is a protein shake in the morning, a small serving of canned sugar free fruit, 2 ounces of lean meat for lunch, 2 ounces of lean meat for dinner, a sugar free jello, and a protein drink before bed. No cheating at all.

Personally I'd switch to fresh fruit, the majority of canned processed fruits have some form of refined sugar in it as a preservative or it is high in chemical preservatives. Why are you not having a fruit or veggie at dinner?

Are you putting your body in starvation mode by decreasing your calories so low your body goes into preservation mode, by not consuming enough calories will do this.

What is your daily intake of protein grams?

Have you spoken to your Surgeon, the nurse or nutritionist to see what's going on. How is your water intake?

I was told in this stage to not eat fresh fruit or raw veggies by the NUT. I am not a big fan of cooked veggies but have recently added v8 so I get my veggie servings in. I actually can't wait to have fresh fruit and am actually craving a salad. Never thought I would hear myself saying that. I see the surgeon and NUT next week so I will make sure that I am doing things right. I am drinking 70 grams of Protein a day and also eating protein at lunch and dinner. I am eating as much as I physically can so I don't think I am starving myself but this is still fairly knew. Hoping my appointments will clarify things for me next week.

scrapper, you might try rinsing your canned fruit. That's what my NUT told me to do when I couldn't eat fresh oranges, to eat canned mandarin oranges that are rinsed off.

Hi , Im going to do the Bariatric Surgery. I don't know what one is better. The Sleeve Gastrectomy or the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bybass.Can anyone out there help me out please. and by the foods, I do eat the Protein first,then the rest, for snacks, I eat Yoplait Greek, and Kellogg's Special K makes cereal bars and chips. you can eat them instead of the other bad snacks,, but keep the fruit and vegs,in your meals to..I weight goes up and down.. I been trying so hard to get it down.I would drop some pounds then they would come back. what im I doing wrong..

Thank you ,,Bethlyn70

Back