• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What's your favorite protein bar?

Qaterra

We've talked some about favorite protein shakes, and a couple to avoid.

What about protein bars?

What are your favorites? Which ones would you not even offer to the family pet?

One of my favorites is the Quest Nutrition bars. Part of their appeal for me is their texture. Remember that ooey, gooey, chewey texture of a caramel candy? The Quest Nutrition bars texture puts me in mind of that. And that's something not easily found in the various lists of allowed foods.

There are different flavors but the texture is pretty much the same from bar to bar. I think I've tried them all.

These bars also provide a healthy serving of fiber, something bariatric patients can have trouble getting enough of.

My introduction to them was by way of a variety box, which I recommend. That way, you can find your favorites -- and maybe some you don't care for so much -- without being stuck with an entire box of one flavor.

I am pre op, doing nutrition classes, pysch eval, etc... But my nutritionist wants me to try and stay under 10 carbs on everything. What are the carbs and sugar/sugar alcohols in these quest bars? I haven't found one yet. I am researching everything I can...some I understand, and some I don't! lol

I, too,like the Quest protein bars and did order a variety pack. They are all gone at the moment and I can't remember the carb content. Sometimes I can't stick to the required carb contents of some things, but I always try. I couldn't have them until I was out about six weeks and when I first started on them I really had to chew them well and couldn't eat a whole one in one sitting. I did it in halves for a while. I only use them in a pinch anyway. They are so handy for traveling and an occasional night time snack.(especially when staying in a hotel).

Funny you should mention this, I just tried one yesterday for the first time. BUILDER'S 20g protein bar seemed like a good one to try. Tasted o.k., texture was nice...but it sat like a lead ball in my pouch for hours. Yes, I chewed it well too. I won't be trying any more protein bars in the future. So far, in this early stage of the game for me I am finding that anything processed doesn't work well for me.

Mergatroid-You're actually too soon post surgery to be eating something as dense as a protein bar. Wait at least 8-10 weeks post surgery and make sure to use a brand that is low in sugar alcohols as these can cause bloating and gas pain.

Back