• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What's your goal?

Pixx

We are all so different and so consumed at times with the weight loss surgery, it's side effects and our weight loss goals that we kind of 'step out of time' in our lives, our focus so intent on recovery that we forget at times to live. So let's reset...what is your main goal for this surgery and what is a goal of yours once you are happy and healthy? What is your passion and will losing weight help you achieve a life goal? What are your interests outside of grams of protein, water intake and recovery? Do you just want more time with grandkids? Energy to play with your kids? Searching for a new love? We are all different and from different walks of life, all trying to attain a new, healthier you, so if you'd like, share with us a little bit more about you and where your headed other than down the scale. We all want to go down the scale, it's part of the journey, but what is your light at the end of the journey? What amazing things will you accomplish once you've reached your goal? We've got several that have reached it and are maintaining, several that are so very close and some of us still on our paths. Even more so, we have had many join that are just starting out. I encourage you to look at the big picture and if you'd like, share it with us! We would all love to read and get to know you better!

My personal goals were for better health. When I started this journey it had nothing to do with weight loss and everything to do with being able to breath normally without pain. Now that I can breath again, and I've lost weight, I'm even more encouraged to keep going and reach a weight loss goal, something I've never even thought about before. Most importantly though, I just want to be healthy for my family so we can do things together. The older I get, the more valued my time with them is and I am just trying to enjoy every moment I get. I have two boys, both in high school one about to enter his senior year. I feel like my time is slipping with him so I'm holding on for dear life, even though I know I will enjoy him as an adult in the coming years as well. It's a hard place to be. I feel like I'm closer than I ever have been with my husband. He helped me through the surgery and encouraged me every step of the way and is now working out to lose weight with me. I want to get to a point in my life where I can just enjoy life with very few little aches and pains or fear of the crushing health drawbacks that come with obesity. I think I will always think of myself as 'the big girl' in the room, can't help it after 35 years but I'm hoping someday I will break out of that shell, especially if I ever get below 200 lbs. I might faint! But I have gotten to where I no longer cringe when I sit in a chair, thinking it might break. I don't loath clothes shopping anymore. I'm not embarrassed to wear a swimsuit at the pool because it actually doesn't fit anymore and it will be the 3rd one I've had to buy because I've gotten smaller and smaller. My friends are telling me to start buying 2X shirts, my 5x shirts are swallowing me whole, what a weird comment! I had someone hand me a bag of clothes yesterday, 14 sizes smaller than I started out and they fit me. I kind of just stood there in shock when they did fit. It has been an unbelievable ride this journey! Most of all I want to pay it forward. I want to help people who want to be helped. I want to encourage, uplift and be there for people who need it and are reaching for the same healthy lifestyle because it is so worth it! A million non scale victories outweigh the pounds the scale still says I have and it's hard to convey that feeling unless you've been overweight. The pounds are only half the battle, the other half is yourself and it's uphill all the way. I hope everyone here reaches their goals, no matter what they are. The sense of victory and self respect in the end was worth the pain, side effects, recovery time and struggle to achieve the goal while on the journey. No regrets, my life is better, my health is better, my goals are being reached. I've am very blessed and thankful that I've been encouraged by so many of you! Thank you! Best wishes on reaching your goals!

Hey Pixx. When i decided to join the wls crowd i was determined to have a better self esteem level. That was my goal. Then it became more since my self esteem seems to have improved quite a bit. I started focusing on my other health issues. They have vanished in thin air so it seems. The only thing left to really work on is my glucose. Currently its not bad. But i see a hormone doc to see if that plays a role in it dropping. An endocrinologist to be exact. I wish I had started years ago because playing with grandkids shouldn't be a chore. I no longer live close to him but I am told I'm still young. I think if i wasnt so big i would feel that way too. Its amazing how i woke up one morning...or was it afternoon? Anyway i woke up and realized i had put on too much. I seemed to have jumped from a 14 to 28. Now i am down several sizes and feel the difference in attitude and energy. Something i must have taken for granted for years. Long term goals will be simpler. I plan to look as good as i feel. I also plan to get out more and do what i promised God i would do. Thats a big definitely.

Thank you for opening up to us and posting this question. It really helps to always know we are not alone in the way we see things regarding wls and weight loss.

I would love to just feel better! I want to be able to move again and roller skate or skate board. Swimming in the ocean would be nice. and really... have some more energy!

My main goal for WLS is to loose the weight. I am a Type 1 diabetic and I have been struggling with this disease for a long time. For years and years I have been put on diets and could not do them because I was always hungry. I was on low calories and counting carb diets and they never worked. I have been trying to keep my A1C level down and that is very hard. I have had open heart surgery because I have had this disease for a long time and it has been out of control. I go to my doctors faithfully and each one of them tells me I have to loose weight. So I have made up my mind that its time to do that especially if I want to be here longer. So my main goal to loosed weight, get my A1C level down to where it suppose to be and live longer.

When I started this journey I had alot of health issues, was spending alot of money on medication and Dr visits, and I was really overweight, so I had many goals, in my brain the weight loss was the number one reason although that is not what I told my friends. Almost All of my health issues seemed to have disappeared with the weight. I still have some weight to lose, but I'm am so happy about where I am now, and more focused on keeping it off. I have more confident. I quit my job of 15 years and started over at a new job, I never would have done that before the weight loss. I'm happy

Pixx you have paid it forward to me on multiple occasions with your wise words of experience. Often those supportive words came to me just at the exact time I really needed them. I am so grateful that this is one of your goals. :D
It's been a little over 6 months since I truly started this weight loss journey. I am slowly creeping up to the point where I get to see the surgeon and might actually be approved for the surgery. Finally, the reality of this exciting opportunity to actually lose some weight is getting closer and closer. And if I'm approved for surgery, this time, it will be losing actual weight that I have carried around for over at least 30 years. It won't be just losing the same 15 lbs over and over again. :p
It's such a freeing thought for me! I can't wait to feel my body working again, free of the burden of all my excess weight. It may sound funny, but I can't wait to feel lighter, to be able to move more easily, and most of all to have more physical energy. :rolleyes:
If you go by my age, which is almost 63, I may be in the beginning of my "golden years" and nearing "retirement age." But in my mind, there are endless things I still want to do. ;)
I love my work and think I will work until the day I die. Well, at least part-time. I love animals and I volunteer with the local SPCA. I think of all the dogs who could get out of their cages, and play outside and go for real walks if I can move around more easily. I have never been much of a traveler (darn small airplane seatbelts and no extenders available!). I live in a very beautiful part of the country and would just like to explore it some more with my trusty walking and exercise partner, my adopted dog. :cool:
I could go on and on about the new freedom that I hope I will feel if I am approved for weight loss surgery and succeed with a serious loss of weight.
As others have said: Thanks, Pixx for asking this question and for being so open about your hopes and dreams! :)

I have so many things I want to accomplish in life since loading the weight. I find it hard to believe sometimes that I have come this far and try not to let fear of gaining the weight back control my life. I've been struggling with eating at night. The foods I do eat are not good for me. A little frustrated and disappointed in myself for giving in to these temptations so much. Want to feel good about the weight I have lost, but get caught up in the setbacks.

Back