• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Who has regrets?

Nana

I was just wondering if anyone regrets have weight loss surgery .....my surgery is just days away and would like some input ....I'm having RNY... Just wondering if anyone had to do it again.. Would they? I would like to hear the good and bad. Only people that go to support groups are people that are happy with their decision .....love to hear a different view point. All my doctors are for it of course.... None of them have been through this. So they just doing their job? Thanks in advance got any help and stories :p

no regrets I would do it all over again, because the health benefits out-weigh any negativity I had to face. the chance to be given a second chance at life and a tool within me to help me loose weight for life, being nervous is normal, but within a few months you too will share your journey of triumph with the rest of us.best of luck to you, Donna (bigtallsis)

I had mixed feelings for the first couple of weeks, but now things are looking up. I can't say whether or not I would do it again because I'm only a few weeks out ... but don't second guess yourself! Do it!:eek:

I am 7 days away from surgery and tho right when i was approved i had reservations, now that i am on the liquid diet and know i can do it, i think i will be as happy as a clam....good bad and the wonder of what the future might hold!!! I am sure everything you have ever wanted will happen in time....!!!

Angela

Hi Nana, I'm four months post op and would do it again in a heartbeat. That is not to say I didn't have regrets at first. You will be on an emotional rollercoaster during the days & weeks following surgery, it's normal. Your body is adjusting to the new you and it will take some time. The best advise I can give after surgery, is follow the plan laid out for you and don't give up. When you're having a bad day emotionally, remember why you did this in the first place. In time your body will even out and I'll bet you will be a much happier you. My wife says she see me becoming a much happier person, I smile and laugh all the time. Thing is I feel happier, just wish I had done this 15 years ago.

Frank

:cool:

Hi Nana, ai am two weeks out of surgery and I will honestly say, I regret it. I don't feel we'll and I am craving to just feel normal again. However, with that being said, I am sure once this phase of weakness and low energy passes, I will have a change of heart. But you wanted honesty, so there you go.

Four weeks out from surgery and I was hot to trot before surgery. I'm still in a period of adjustment but regrets, no. Will I miss the way it used to be, I don't think so. Its a brand new day no looking back. My back, joint and diabetes troubles have improved to a remarkable degree, it can only get better from here.

cheers

No way Jose. I had a little rough start and had two major surgeries in 2 days. But I would do it again. I feel great and I am no longer hiding in the walls. Each day I am more stronger and glad to be a live and healthy. Had diabetes, high blood pressure, you name it, it was high. 35+ pills and 3-4 shots a day. Now only 2 pills and that is for ADHD and depression. I think the depression is more seasonal with me not surgery related. I wore a 24 and now I wear a 9. I exercise and I am happy to take chances again. What my goal is to continue on and never forget wjhere my health was and my self esteem.
So, no I would do it all over again. You will be fine & welcome to the journey you take for yourself. : )
Hugs,
Angie

Thanks for being honest i am also 2 weeks out of surgery and i feel the say way , i just got in touch with how much i love food , that i believe food fixes everything , i alway said i was an emotional eater i had no idea what that really meant until now. i have days where i cry all day, i am weak and have very low energy. However i believe that this will pass

I'm so grateful i had my surgery the first 4 weeks where the hardest but once you are past that you will feel great and will start to love the new you. I know its hard but I had to think food is not going to win this battle I'm. And worse part for me is that my husband did not get eating the bad food in fount of me was going to make me not want to be around him make sure you have a good support team. I had a friend that went on my diet with me no food only liquids and etc it was so much easer you dont think of food then also you need to tivo all your shows you watch because the tv a killler seeing all the fast food places and at the point you will do any thing to have a bite and dont try it because it will only make you so sick but i wish you the best of luck only 2 days to go i know you can do it

I had mixed feelings for a few weeks but now am so glad I did it. First few weeks were tough for me but once I realized that some of the rules are not for safety or for the surgical part but was just retraining your eating habits I started to eat what I want but making sure I did eat the Protein first. I drink a little of selztery drinks with 0 calories. The one that does not bother my stomach(what is left of it) is called ICE and has nice flavors and is little seltzer in it. I use other O calorie drinks without bubbles most times, eat popsicles to increase my liquid intake. I AM GLAD I did it!!

Sandie, I love the ICE drinks. The carbonation doesn't bother your pouch? I haven't tried them since surgery but I really want to.

I am only 4 days out and doing okay, the worst part is feeling weak. Also a few of my meds have to be crushed and they taste horrible even mixed in apple sauce. But I just keep telling myself this part is only temporary.

The first 2 weeks were tough and I thought what have I done to myself. That of course passed and there has been no looking back. All I gave up was an unhealthly lifestyle filled with despair. My life has changed dramatically. What I really mean is I have changed. I take care of myself physically, emotionally and spiritually. The days where I think I miss the food I no longer eat I just check in with myself to see what is really going on. Each day is an opportunity to live to the fullest. No regrets.

ICE drinks somehow do not bother my stomach BUT I only drink a little at a time but do like that little fizzy sensation on my mouth. Lately I get thirsty a lot so the ICE tastes good an quenches the thirst. Be careful, I think if you do a very little at a time it is fine and it gets the pouch used to the fiz. Sometimes I take one little swallow of my spouses diet soda but that is it.
I still cannot eat very much at a time, protein drinks go down pretty easily over and hours time now that at first I could not get much of one down. The first few weeks are hard, but as time goes on it gets better!!!
I am losing muscle mass I think so need to exercise more and drink more protein so it is muscle that is being lost.
Chins up, moving forward we defeat our problem of being overweight!

I am only a month out of surgery and things are starting to get better. In the begging i regretted every part of it the tv commercials make things very hard so if your lucky enough to have tivo that will help. Sugar free Popsicle are still my best friend. But things do seem to be getting better as i am figuring out what i need to do. I do wish the weight was coming off faster but i am sure things will get better once i start walking/exercise.

Nana-No regrets here. 2 weeks after my surgery I hated food so much I couldn't stand the sight or smell of it and wondered if I would ever enjoy the taste of it again. Even during this phase I had no regrets. Of course, this passed and I started to enjoy food once more but in a different way. I appreciated it more and really put a lot of thought into every single meal before it's prepared to make sure it's what I really want, not just something to shove into my mouth. But if you are having regrets you may want to postpone your surgery until you are 100% sure you want to go through with it. I think everyone has some apprehension, fear and a plethera of other emotions in the months, weeks, days and even minutes before surgery. It can be one big emotional rollercoaster ride but it is perfectly normal to feel all of this. Regrets are another animal so unless you have a medical condition that needs immediate weight loss take your time to make your final decision.

To answer your question about if your doctor's are just doing their job, yes. Their job is to make recommendations to you to get you to be as healthy as possible. They can not force you to do anything. The final decision is yours and yours alone. Do your research, ask the surgeon questions, attend a few bariatric support meetings and ask the members questions then make your decision. It took me over 6 years to decide to have my surgery. 3 1/2 of those years was because the change in my insurance coverage didn't allow any weight loss surgery but even after my insurance changed it still took me over a year to make my decision.

Back