• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

A bit miserable (RNY on Aug 2002)

I am really glad that you are here. This is a good place to vent and tell it how it was and how it is now... wish that there was more participation. I think it's very typical of women who have experience any kind of bariatric surgery and lost huge amounts of weight, to want to hide when they regain or start to gain weight. So consequently, not many are telling the truth and are sitting in the dark too ashamed to bring the elephant or the dragon out into the light of day. We are only as sick as our secrets. You are miles ahead, reaching out is the solution... the first act of coming to aid for yourself. Good on you!! Don't stop making noise and looking for help!

I am 4 years post op and have maintained my nearly 100 lb loss for that period of time, until this last Nov. I have no idea what happened, if anything at all, but I completely turned into a shark and just was swimming around with my mouth hanging open. My food choices were good, but somewhere in there I started to graze and simply did not seem like I was ever going to be able to stop. At the 7 pound mark of gaining I started to completely freak out and the scale continued upward. Long about 12 pounds I was panicking beyond relief and struggling to get back to 'normal', BY MYSELF. I Kept thinking that this was nuts, I can do this blah blah and then finally I started looking for help, support, others that were the same as me to help me. I returned to doing the things that I know to do that work (which is the definition of wisdom). Started keeping a food log (my fitness pal.com) and amazingly that started to help reel things in a bit. I wasn't bingeing, but I was scared that I had stretched everything out. I did a pouch reset regime for a few days and that helped to restore that instructive feeling of being full. Just the act of doing positive things for myself calmed the panic. Since the bariatric support in this area completely sucks I started going to OA meetings just so I could talk about the gain and the craziness that goes with it. What I didn't do was beat myself up, ever. I don't do that anymore and haven't for years. I don't deserve that.

So, you're on the right track. I am assuming that you have found another bariatric surgeon that you are checking in with now. That would be the first order of the day given the other complication and just because we all need to have our labs run every year by folks that know what they are doing.
Those of us that are here will listen and give you feedback as best we can. You are in my thoughts.
I am waiting for a surgery date and I am so conflicted. I have lost 140 x 2 and 100 pounds x 5. I always gain it back, except the last time I kept off 80 of the 140. My highest weight was 344. I am now at 255. My biggest fear is that I will have this surgery and then regain all the weight. Im wondering if I should just work on the mindset. Will this be worth it? A friend of mine has had 2 bypasses. Lost 200 pounds 1st time, gained it all back. On second one, she has kept her weight down with some ups and down. She resets her pouch frequently.

Welcome to the group. I have not had my surgery yet but you can share you experience with me. I am having the RNY surgery May 6th. You had some success. Don't beat yourself up to much over it. Kids always put weight on you. You just have to get back on track. My other group keeps talking about a pouch reset. It has nothing to do with your pouch at all but with your mind. You start the same diet over that you had at the beginning and then you can get back on track. But if you want good advice from another look for Diane. She gives good advice. But she would tell you to go to the doctor but since you surgeon closed down you should talk to you primary and see what they say. They should be able to help you in some way or at least point you in the right direction
what is RNY?

I am new and have the same issue.Had my roux en y about 10 years ago and have seen my weight creeping up.I am going to do the 5 day pouch test starting monday.Ill let you know how it goes.
I'm very interested to hear how this goes. I haven't hit that point yet as I am only 6 weeks out from my RNY but would love any feedback you have as you go through the reset and after. Good luck and I really hope it helps!

I am very post op. Almost 16 years. Surgery day I weighed 307. I got down to 160lbs, had 4 pregnancies including a set of twins after and am hovering at 207 now. I have chronic anemia and everything seems to upset my digestive system. I saw my surgeon for one post surgery follow up then he shut down his practice. I take protonix for my stomach but I think I really need to get my diet way back on track. I would love to find an online friend or two that are very far post op to chat with.

I am very post op. Almost 16 years. Surgery day I weighed 307. I got down to 160lbs, had 4 pregnancies including a set of twins after and am hovering at 207 now. I have chronic anemia and everything seems to upset my digestive system. I saw my surgeon for one post surgery follow up then he shut down his practice. I take protonix for my stomach but I think I really need to get my diet way back on track. I would love to find an online friend or two that are very far post op to chat with.
Hi, I'm sorry that you are having issues and agree with the others. If you cannot find another bariatric surgeon at the very least get to your gp and have them run a full and complete bloodwork (including all b vitamins). B1 is usually not included make sure they check it too. It's a crucial vitamin. I am suffering the effects of a severe b1 deficiency. I am 29 years post OP and have lived the nightmare of just about every deficiency. Each has its own side effects and they are all very unpleasant if not debilitating or even lethal. I've met resistance many times and learned that you sometimes have to be your own advocate. I am in no way trying to scare you. If you remain diligent with check ups, bloodwork, and supplements you will thrive but if you become complacent there are many things that can and will kick your but. I wish you well and if you ever have any questions I would be happy to help if I can.

Back