• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Day 2 Post Op help meeeeee….

Am i crazy for expecting to see the scale move this early? Had sleeve done 3/5. On liquid diet. Literally just consuming ice chips, powerade zero, and my meds. Scale is exactly the same as my weigh in surgery day.

Meds they gave me are liquid gabapentin and liquid childrens motrin and childrens liquid acetaminophen.
Also having crazy burning pain in my sternum. Doc says trapped gas, but i have had the pain since i woke up from surgery and gas meds not helping, prilosec not helping. Anyone experience either of these things? Thanks in advance

Well, not crazy but possibly unrealistic lol

They pump you full of gas and give you an IV of saline. Most of of weigh more when we leave the hospital than we do when we got there. So the same is actually great.

Gas pains can hit anywhere, usually in the chest and back area. Try a heating pad on your shoulders (back) and see if that helps. Also, walking will help pass the gas. Its not really gas like burp/fart gas. Its the gas they use to puff you up so they can see your insides during surgery. So most gas meds don't really work for that.

Today is day 5 post op and finally my added gas and iv weight is out of my system! So I'm counting weight loss from here on as likely real results.
Gas is a pain. Order gas x chewables, and anti gas strips (these ones are a magical thing to have). Feels like it won't go away some days but these tools help along with heat and walking.

Hello Loves
Yesterday I had a sleeve. I was on waiting list for 2 years exactly. I am doing ok I think but the issues are that after each mini sip I have yakky discomfort in my chest and if I try to burp ( i am making it up , kind of ) it becomes bit lighter the feeling. Who had similar sensations and how are you coping with them? I am in such a discomfort...

I'm sorry you're not feeling great, queen. You just had surgery, and a large portion of a major organ removed. Not to mention the gas they pump in so they can see! Give yourself time to heal. You're not going to feel great for a while yet. Sip very, very slowly and let your team know what you're feeling.

My doc called it the construction zone and it can be painful. Its certainly uncomfortable at the very least. Imagine poking a sprained ankle every 5 minutes or so. It would hurt. Your stomach doesn't get a change to heal before you're putting it back to work.

Hang in there. It gets better fairly quickly. And then it gets GREAT!! But it dies suck for a minute. Sorry you're hurting.

I'm sorry you're not feeling great, queen. You just had surgery, and a large portion of a major organ removed. Not to mention the gas they pump in so they can see! Give yourself time to heal. You're not going to feel great for a while yet. Sip very, very slowly and let your team know what you're feeling.
Like Missy said, it's the gas. I had an open procedure back in the day before they had the sleeve and it was major surgery (I have the 7" scar to prove it!). The gas has to get out of your body someway, even though the surgical team will remove as much as possible before closure. I remember it came out of the skin on my forearms--OUCH!

But congratulations to you on making the big step. You will feel better before you know it. Some people find relief by using heat, and others use ice. And I hope you got some good drugs. If you are in pain, do not hesitate to call back to your team and tell them you need something for pain, because OTC drugs just don't work, and it seems to me you're not supposed to take Motrin--can't remember why, but every analgesic has it's own side effects, and some of them are incompatible with VSG or any other kind of WLS.

Welcome to your group! We are so happy you're here and dying to give you all the support we can. Keep asking questions and sharing your feelings.

Back