• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having a problem with protein drinks.

Remember that your taste buds may change due to the surgery, and what you like now you may not like later. :( I have a real serious issue with thickness in the protein shakes. I can't stand the muscle milk, atkins, or premiere shakes, they are all way too thick to drink. I even tried watering them down but it doesn't help. You can always use unflavored protein powder as well. I use it quite a bit, but found Annex at a local nutrition store that is super thin and has a high absorption rate so I've been using it now for several months. There is also protein coffee now if you like coffee. Best wishes on your journey!
Thank you for your tips!

I do NOT like milk! Everything I have tried in the past tasted like milk or was chalky. Someone at my Bariatric office said that Walmart had Premier shakes that were very good. They also mentioned that the Carmel one was not their favorite. They gave tips to drink the shakes refrigerated, unrefrigerated, add water or milk. To me, the shakes are sweet. I like adding crystal light orange or strawberry to the Vanilla ones. I have been looking at other stores and new favors or coming out soon.
Is crystal light decaf? Do you just add the protein powder to it or r u adding it to the premier? Thank u

the unflavored protein powder can be ordered online only. They have not put it in stores yet. It is called unjury. I just went through the class and she informed us about it.

Me three! I'm intrigued by a clear powder that mixes with food to boost the protein of whatever it is, but to be honest I cannot stand the taste of any of those things. Never could, never will. I'm crazy about water. I drink about one and a half litres a day. my refrigerator is full of water. And I I am never anywhere without a water bottle, even in a fancy restaurant. I have extrasensory taste buds, as well as a nose like a bird dog, and ears like a hawk. So my routine, whether liquid or solid, is made up mostly of natural ingredients. also, when I had my surgery 12 years ago oh, there were no classes to take or preoperative instructions or a pre-op diet or any of the things most of you have been going through lately. My doctor sent a letter to Medicare requesting that I be allowed to have the surgery covered by insurance and I went home with one instruction: try to eat less. as my surgery day brunier, I had an all-day orientation along with several other people where we were given all the material, from nutrition to all the cautions about what life would be like after your surgery after stomach was a pouch. it was super comprehensive. After the surgery I stayed in the hospital for a few days and I was visited every day by somebody quizzing me about how I felt and then telling you what to do about it setting me up for an easy transition into my liquid based diet at home.

I think I really like the approach that they took I think I really like the approach that they took with me because it was all one-on-one and checking to see if I understand before moving on and quizzing me to quote back the intelligence I had learned and nothing that I didn't need to know. The psych evaluation surprises me. I mean if you are like 300 or 500 or whatever pounds and you come to a doctor and ask for bariatric surgery, do they think that you're making it up? Do they think you're going to change your mind? just looking at you in your obese state, no one would imagine you were doing this for frivolous reasons, or for cosmetic purposes. I seriously don't get it.

Diane you still made it to be here with us today. Did you know about the new thing called a pouch reset. It has nothing to do with surgery nor the pouch. You basically do the post op diet over to reset your mind to the diet. The nut was talking about it the other day.

the unflavored protein powder can be ordered online only. They have not put it in stores yet. It is called unjury. I just went through the class and she informed us about it.
Hi! I’ve used injury unflavored. I generally mix it with some 2%milk and then frozen fruit, sometimes add lo fat plain Greek yogurt, little Splenda for flavor or a pinch of lemon peel is good if you use blueberries. For me it was the best as far as not having horrible after taste.

For lunch I usually mix one cup to a chobani lo fat Greek yogurt, handful of kashi cereal for texture to increase protein.

I’m curious for folks who are post surgery 5+ years did you note any change in taste preferences?

Everyones tastes are so different. Lol
I just bought the Premier Peach and I really like it but I don't like the strawberry or banana. I used the unflavored by Bodytech Whey protein Isolate in my sugar free chocolate pudding yesterday and I cannot taste it.
A lot of this is just sampling and seeing what you can tolerate. I hate that it is so hard to find single size drinks because I don't want to waste a bunch of drinks.
I have not had any taste changes personally.

That is what I heard but don't know the name of it, I will do some investigating lol
Some do, some don’t. I think part of it for me is just using stronger flavors that I don’t notice it as much as I did at first. I was told your tastes change because of the “cooties” that are removed when I had the gastric sleeve. For me I hated cottage cheese before surgery now I eat it for lunch most days with fruit or fruit Greek yogurt lol. I think there was an article that was much more scientific in the explanation of why tastes change. If I can find it I’ll post it.

Everyones tastes are so different. Lol
I just bought the Premier Peach and I really like it but I don't like the strawberry or banana. I used the unflavored by Bodytech Whey protein Isolate in my sugar free chocolate pudding yesterday and I cannot taste it.
A lot of this is just sampling and seeing what you can tolerate. I hate that it is so hard to find single size drinks because I don't want to waste a bunch of drinks.
I have not had any taste changes personally.
I'll have to try the peach, I didn't like the strawberry, the chocolate is ok but not great. Have you tried the vanilla?

I hate all those protein shakes and tried hard to convince me and my stomac to accept it but didn't work so I stopped using it. I have very good unflavor protein powder which I add to my broth or yogurt. The name of this awesome organic and non GMO protein powder is GENEPRO which each scoop of it contains 30 gr. protein wth only 58.7 calories. Doesn't have any flavor. So highly recomend it.

It is so hard with these drinks because everyone has different taste preferences.
Premier, I will drink the chocolate and I just bought peaches and cream last week and I think it is pretty good. Peach doesn't seem to be as thick as the chocolate. I have not found the caramel or cookies and cream yet.
Today I made SF chocolate instant pudding and used a chocolate shake and the rest Fairlife milk for 2 cups total. I also added one scoop of unflavored protein powder before I added the liquid. It comes out to 11.5 g of protein per 1/2cup. Nice for a change of pace.

It is so hard with these drinks because everyone has different taste preferences.
Premier, I will drink the chocolate and I just bought peaches and cream last week and I think it is pretty good. Peach doesn't seem to be as thick as the chocolate. I have not found the caramel or cookies and cream yet.
Today I made SF chocolate instant pudding and used a chocolate shake and the rest Fairlife milk for 2 cups total. I also added one scoop of unflavored protein powder before I added the liquid. It comes out to 11.5 g of protein per 1/2cup. Nice for a change of pace.
That's a great idea! I may steal it. ;)

Back