• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having a problem with protein drinks.

I love the Premiere protein shakes a Chocolate ,Cookies n cream is my favorite . I get them at Costco but they usually only sell Chocolate,Cookies n cream and Vanilla I’ve never seen strawberry and I love strawberry .hope my tastes don’t change after surgery

I just order the primer banana. Can wait to see what the taste like.
The protein shake controversy has been going on for a year now! The first page of posts are from people who aren't even here anymore! I just thought I'd point that out. What it boils down to is you either like protein shakes or you don't. If you don't like them, don't drink them. I personally don't like protein shakes in any form and most of them are pretty high in calories for the amount of protein you get. Of course the ones that tastes really awful are very low in calories and have tons of protein. Finding a middle ground is really hard. But protein shakes aren't normal. Eating a balanced diet is normal. Forget the gadgets and the shortcuts and the TV commercials with all the skinny people jumping around Overjoyed about their bodies. Eat sensibly and write everything down and you will never have to drink a protein shake unless you want to. And if you do drink those protein shakes, same rule. Drink them sensibly and write down every calorie and protein gram you get from them.

I will be 1 year post op on the 27th. I have been drinking Isotech 42 from the Vitamin Shoppe. 42g protein. They come in a bunch of flavors. Orange, grape, fruit punch, and a few others. Very easy for me to get down. They protein shakes are just hard for me to get down. I tried mixing with skim milk, and even water. Just made my stomach sick. They only problem with the Isotech is Very expensive. But great way to add protein.

Hi,
I am in the process of trying out protein drinks but, after a few sips they make me sick to my stomach.
Has anyone else had this problem before surgery? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm 10 days out right now and am finding they are difficult for me to handle as well. Not only are they all too sweet tasting, but "heavy" on my tummy.
Have you tried protein water?

Hi,
I am in the process of trying out protein drinks but, after a few sips they make me sick to my stomach.

Thanks
Hi, I have tried the premier shake & also had problems with it stating down, I thought too chalky. I tried the ensure protein max shakes. These were a lot better less chalky & 30g of protein. Flavors Vanilla,chocolate,mocha, & berries. I will only use the premier shakes if my stores around me are out of Ensure shakes.

Hi,

Thanks
I usually make my own by adding collagen protein scoops to my green smoothies. I don't do any artificial sweeteners any longer, and have found that proteins themselves don't cause me the issue. Artificial sweeteners (and yes, even the beloved "natural" stevia - which is NOT natural and the US is the only country that allows the compound they use to be listed as "natural") are SO horrible for your body! Splenda (sucralose) is one of the most inflammatory and allergenic chemicals you can put into your body. I could soap box about this, but I will hold myself back, lol. Sweeteners mess with your taste, and once you are off them, so many natural things taste sweet again!

don't don't waste your calories on something you hate. If you're looking for 20 grams of protein, either eat a protein bar, which is generally delicious, or a slice of turkey, which is 36 grams per portion, or a 1in by 1in by 3 in Stick of cheese witches in the mid to high twenties. I absolutely hate protein drinks and I think they are colossal waste of time and very dangerous 2 your actual diet. I am not correcting the typos here because I am voice typing and I only have one hand and I'm in pain in the wrist I broke, so sorry about that.

Back