• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How is everyone doing?

My gosh when does this hair loss begin? I was told biotin doesn't help. I also told it will grow back. Doesn't all the protein help and calcium help? Yikes not liking this!!
Hi Redy. :) I started loosing considerable amounts in the shower at about month 3 but it started tapering off at about 6 months. I'm now 8 months post-op and think I'm out of the woods with it. I wish I had a recommendation but I just had to deal with it for a few months. Worth the price. :)

I started losing hair during month 3, it's now month 4.5 almost and I think it's slowing. I started biotin about 2 weeks ago, 5000 mg daily, and also started a shampoo called monat, renew shampoo. It's 32$ so expensive, but a a little goes a long way and I plan to switch back to normal shampoo when I feel I'm out of the woods. Hopefully month 8 or so like Brenda.

I started losing hair during month 3, it's now month 4.5 almost and I think it's slowing. I started biotin about 2 weeks ago, 5000 mg daily, and also started a shampoo called monat, renew shampoo. It's 32$ so expensive, but a a little goes a long way and I plan to switch back to normal shampoo when I feel I'm out of the woods. Hopefully month 8 or so like Brenda.
Thanks, I will look out for Monat!

Hello,
What I'd biotin. I am really afaird of losing my hair. I already have very thin hair. Thank you

Hi all..my surgeon office replied back so this was recommend:
2.5 mg of biotin a day.
1/2 tsp flaxseed oil & 1 tsp safflower oil daily
Fish twice a week or fish oil supplements.
80 mg protein daily.
So I'm going to try this now
My PCP also said our thyroid also gets messed up b/c of low calorie intake in the beginning. That the "old hair " gets pushed out for new hair. So with all of this info I have yet to see. But I am going to try Annie's shampoo as well! Beautiful hair to all us gals and gents!

My hair stylist gave me a free sample of Invati products and I bought a volumizing tonic, I also bought some biotin. I’ll let you know how it goes!

I’m at 6 months now and still losing loads. It’s getting quite alarming. I’ve always had very pretty hair, now it’s all thin :(
Cher, Julie, everyone else with hair loss, there isn't anything you can do about it. I do not know the reason why hair loss occurs after this particular surgery but I do know that the hair doesn't just fall out. The follicle dies. And you can never grow it back. It's no different than with men who lose the all their hair. But it's unlikely that you will lose enough to really make a difference.. I have just learned to go ahead and get my haircut in a way that my bald spots and thin hair don't look so obvious. And of course, wigs are completely legitimate and these days, they are fabulous. I've never worn the one I got for $9 at a thrift store, a real bargain since it's all natural human hair, but I did take a picture with it on. I am no longer self-conscious about my thin hair or am I bald spots. I look fine. And I did buy a wig cap the other day and am thinking that soon I may actually get serious about the wig that I bought. You can check out my pictures to see what I mean.

Cher, Julie, everyone else with hair loss, there isn't anything you can do about it. I do not know the reason why hair loss occurs after this particular surgery but I do know that the hair doesn't just fall out. The follicle dies. And you can never grow it back. It's no different than with men who lose the all their hair. But it's unlikely that you will lose enough to really make a difference.. I have just learned to go ahead and get my haircut in a way that my bald spots and thin hair don't look so obvious. And of course, wigs are completely legitimate and these days, they are fabulous. I've never worn the one I got for $9 at a thrift store, a real bargain since it's all natural human hair, but I did take a picture with it on. I am no longer self-conscious about my thin hair or am I bald spots. I look fine. And I did buy a wig cap the other day and am thinking that soon I may actually get serious about the wig that I bought. You can check out my pictures to see what I mean.View attachment 2094
That’s wild! I have seen some people on YouTube who seem to have recovered from hair loss though, so fingers crossed. It’s worth a try in my opinion :)

Don't loose hope ladies (and gents)! I just found an article from the Obesity Action Coalition, it states:

"Hair loss rarely lasts for more than six months in the absence of a dietary cause. Because hair follicles are not damaged in telogen effluvium, hair should then regrow. For this reason, most doctors can assure their weight-loss surgery patients that with time and patience, and keeping up good nutritional intake, their hair will grow back".

Article is here: Weight-loss Surgery, Nutrition and Hair Loss - Obesity Action Coalition

Cher, Julie, everyone else with hair loss, there isn't anything you can do about it. I do not know the reason why hair loss occurs after this particular surgery but I do know that the hair doesn't just fall out. The follicle dies. And you can never grow it back. It's no different than with men who lose the all their hair. But it's unlikely that you will lose enough to really make a difference.. I have just learned to go ahead and get my haircut in a way that my bald spots and thin hair don't look so obvious. And of course, wigs are completely legitimate and these days, they are fabulous. I've never worn the one I got for $9 at a thrift store, a real bargain since it's all natural human hair, but I did take a picture with it on. I am no longer self-conscious about my thin hair or am I bald spots. I look fine. And I did buy a wig cap the other day and am thinking that soon I may actually get serious about the wig that I bought. You can check out my pictures to see what I mean.View attachment 2094
You go girl. That’s what I’m talking about.

Don't loose hope ladies (and gents)! I just found an article from the Obesity Action Coalition, it states:

"Hair loss rarely lasts for more than six months in the absence of a dietary cause. Because hair follicles are not damaged in telogen effluvium, hair should then regrow. For this reason, most doctors can assure their weight-loss surgery patients that with time and patience, and keeping up good nutritional intake, their hair will grow back".

Article is here: Weight-loss Surgery, Nutrition and Hair Loss - Obesity Action Coalition
I don't know I don't know who these people are and irritatingly enough I can't find out unless I give them personal information about myself. This is not bode well for me. I went to my support group for at least a year after my surgery and every single person who has lost hair has also lost the follicle. It never grows back. I don't know who this person is who wrote this paper because I can't get into the website. I can't even find out who is behind this coalition. For all I know this is some kind of fishing Expedition. And I am 12 years out from surgery. I am no longer losing hair but I did lose it about a year after I had surgery. It has never grown back and it never will. At my support groups we had many medical experts from the hospital, from the bariatric Department, and from the University of Washington. It is a simple fact of life and a unique phenomenon to bariatric surgery that some or a lot of hair is lost after surgery. For everyone who is nervous about it, I wish you the best. But if you are studying the topic, find medical information about it first. And then listen to the stories that people tell who have been through this already. We know. Just because somebody has an internet presence does not mean that they know anything about what they are talking about. I know I sound a little irritated, but that's how I get when I'm trying to read somebody's website and the front page keeps popping up telling me to join. It's like they just don't want me to investigate their credentials. So please, consider the source. And Brenda, you are such a doll and such a goddess here in the group. I am not directing my frustrations at you, but at the Legion of people who seemed to enjoy misleading people who are suffering from obesity. I simply do not trust this OAC nor do I see any validity to what they are saying.

Back