• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

How is everyone doing?

I used to love coming to this website, but all this spam is totally ruining it for me, it’s overrun with spam, it’s very annoying!
How is everyone doing?
I’m 6 months out now, and I am feeling much stronger and getting back to normal. I’ve managed to stabilize my weight, but I can eat more now, thank goodness. I go line dancing 3 nights a week, and I treat myself to an adult beverage once a week too ;)
I have lost, and am still losing quite a bit of hair, I hope that stops soon.
Just a little update!
Congratulations keep up the good work!!!

Don't loose hope ladies (and gents)! I just found an article from the Obesity Action Coalition, it states:

"Hair loss rarely lasts for more than six months in the absence of a dietary cause. Because hair follicles are not damaged in telogen effluvium, hair should then regrow. For this reason, most doctors can assure their weight-loss surgery patients that with time and patience, and keeping up good nutritional intake, their hair will grow back".

Article is here: Weight-loss Surgery, Nutrition and Hair Loss - Obesity Action Coalition
Thanks Brenda, very interesting article! As I said, I follow a few people who have had bariatric surgery on YouTube, and they have recovered from their hair loss. I think that we are all different, with different medical backgrounds, and we all have symptoms to varying degrees. I choose to remain optimistic :) I had a couple of inches cut off at the weekend, and I used the products this morning, and do you know what? It made me feel better!

Thanks Brenda, very interesting article! As I said, I follow a few people who have had bariatric surgery on YouTube, and they have recovered from their hair loss. I think that we are all different, with different medical backgrounds, and we all have symptoms to varying degrees. I choose to remain optimistic :) I had a couple of inches cut off at the weekend, and I used the products this morning, and do you know what? It made me feel better!
View attachment 2099
Wow, your hair is beautiful Julie!!! Makes your eyes pop. :) You look amazing girl.

Honestly the thought of this hair loss stresses everyone out. Which stress I think also plays a part. I also have experience hair loss about 4 years ago and it came back. No folicals dying.. don't we every 7 years experience some sort of change to our bodies? I'm going to do what I can and leave it that. I know we all experience this differently. Enough said.

well as someone else noted, hair loss varies from person to person. There is a very general rule that you are going to lose some hair and that is going to fall out and just as in baldness the follicle is going to die. This slumbering follicle thing that was written about in the paper above is not the same as what bariatric surgery causes. There are many surgeries that cause hair fall out. But it is a sure thing with bariatric surgery. But don't get a picture in your mind of Barney Google or something. Life Goes On, you restyle your body, you restyle your hair, and you go on with life happier than you have ever been. Hair loss is definitely a scary expression. But it is not the end of the world. For you newbies who have not had the opportunity to be around a lot of post-bariatric heads so you could look at their hair loss up close you may be imagining something that is much worse than it really is. For me it was really depressing at first because I have very fine and very thin hair, so it really showed. But after a while my body look so good that it didn't matter what my hair looks like. I got a new hairdresser and she always lied to me and said oh yes I think I see a little hair growing back in. So I gave her a big tip. But I didn't believe her. After all I brush my hair everyday. I saw the damage. And it did not grow back but you've see my pictures. I am not disfigured or bald and this little picadillo it's just a great excuse for me to start having some fun with wigs. There are so many upsides to the fact that you lose some of your hair. But I have to tell you I worked in the Cosmetics industry for years, getting procedures and machines and products past the FDA and it is a racket. It may be that the same stuff that's in the most expensive shampoo you buy is the same stuff that was in that bar of Ivory soap you wash your hair with when you were a kid. And conditioners? How can a conditioner work if you wash it out? Back in my day conditioners are called creme rinse and their purpose was to make your hair more combable after you finish washing it. We never used mousse or gel until dippity-do came along. Just go back and look at all the beautiful hairstyles the Luscious Jayne Mansfields and the Ethereal Marilyn Monroe and the sultry Sophia Loren, most of whom just wrap their hairs up in pigtails or bobby pins at night and had their hair marcelled at their local Beauty Salon. The science of hair if you could call it that is always evolving. But they still haven't figured out a way to deal with baldness. Its been around for the 68 years I've been alive and it is a multibillion-dollar industry, this science of trying to regrow hair. Just do not worry. You're going to look better in every way after you have your surgery, start eating better, taking supplements, get exercise and fresh air, establish new routines and rituals involving new friends and old. This is a holistic experience. It is not limited to a strand of hair or a strand of spaghetti.

I used to love coming to this website, but all this spam is totally ruining it for me, it’s overrun with spam, it’s very annoying!
How is everyone doing?
I’m 6 months out now, and I am feeling much stronger and getting back to normal. I’ve managed to stabilize my weight, but I can eat more now, thank goodness. I go line dancing 3 nights a week, and I treat myself to an adult beverage once a week too ;)
I have lost, and am still losing quite a bit of hair, I hope that stops soon.
Just a little update!
I am 6 years out from band, 4 years out from revision to sleeve and 3 months out from revision to bypass - both revisions due to complications, not a choice I would have made otherwise. I feel SO much better following the bypass. I wish I had done that from day one, but my journey is my journey for a reason, and I am ok with that. I am down over 151 pounds from my highest, and 42 down from my bypass. I am smaller than I have ever been as an adult. The only thing I am not happy with is the loose skin and right now activity still wears me out quicker than I would like. I do have the hair loss happening, but I have a lot of thick hair, so it is only noticeable to me. I eat pretty normally right now, just in smaller amounts. I have shifted my mindset away from being a lifelong bariatric patient and more to someone living a healthy lifestyle that happens to have been helped with bariatric surgery. I have spent so much of my adult life as a patient of some sort due to my weight, and then now a chronic illness. I don't want to live in a patient mentality. I want to live life free from food addiction, excess weight, unhealthy patterns and self destruction! Having places like this forum have been so helpful, and I enjoy hearing about everyone else's journey.

I am 6 years out from band, 4 years out from revision to sleeve and 3 months out from revision to bypass - both revisions due to complications, not a choice I would have made otherwise. I feel SO much better following the bypass. I wish I had done that from day one, but my journey is my journey for a reason, and I am ok with that. I am down over 151 pounds from my highest, and 42 down from my bypass. I am smaller than I have ever been as an adult. The only thing I am not happy with is the loose skin and right now activity still wears me out quicker than I would like. I do have the hair loss happening, but I have a lot of thick hair, so it is only noticeable to me. I eat pretty normally right now, just in smaller amounts. I have shifted my mindset away from being a lifelong bariatric patient and more to someone living a healthy lifestyle that happens to have been helped with bariatric surgery. I have spent so much of my adult life as a patient of some sort due to my weight, and then now a chronic illness. I don't want to live in a patient mentality. I want to live life free from food addiction, excess weight, unhealthy patterns and self destruction! Having places like this forum have been so helpful, and I enjoy hearing about everyone else's journey.
Wow, what a journey. Congratulations on your loss and especially your shift of mindset. :) I think we all need to come to the same realization. You're quite an inspiration.

Honestly the thought of this hair loss stresses everyone out. Which stress I think also plays a part. I also have experience hair loss about 4 years ago and it came back. No folicals dying.. don't we every 7 years experience some sort of change to our bodies? I'm going to do what I can and leave it that. I know we all experience this differently. Enough said.
Red, my old pal, my beach buddy, where have you been? Did a giant turkey fall on you & render you silent? I'm dying to hear from you & know how you're doing. You adorn our group with your presence. Word!

Thought I'd update here. Im 5.5 months post bypass and I don't know if it was the biotin, monat shampoo, or just time, but the hair loss has now definitely slowed! I think there might be regrowth as well because I have all these little short hairs around my face. Now if they'd just not come back in grey....

Thought I'd update here. Im 5.5 months post bypass and I don't know if it was the biotin, monat shampoo, or just time, but the hair loss has now definitely slowed! I think there might be regrowth as well because I have all these little short hairs around my face. Now if they'd just not come back in grey....

Glad to hear that you're seeing some regrowth too! I have a bunch of these 2" long hairs at my right part giving me a "cowlick" but I'm happy to have the hair growing back so I'll deal. :)

Back