• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Medicare and being 70

I am 76 and I am going for it. I feel I still have a lot of living to do
Hi Nanc, I noticed you've been posting to your profile but not to the group, & that you said you're having a hard time navigating here. I hope you can respond to this post & let us know how you're doing.

I am on the fence I’m to do it or not having people say why you are 70? I have a date August 14

Hi Bertie, how about an update? I have you listed for surgery in August along with 8 to 13 other members! I'd like to be sure I'm listing this correctly, and of course, we all want to support you. Have you been to our resources section? It's called "Latest Resources" and appears as you scroll to the bottom of this page. There are a few helpful files there that will answer your post-op questions. Are you still going to St. Kitts & by the way, can I come with you? ;)

I joined today and asked about an over 65 and surgery site that I thought I had seen but couldn't find once I joined the group. Brenda answered my message and pointed me to this site. I am 69 years old and will be 70 at the time of my surgery. When I went to my initial Dr's appt., I was given a booklet listing the Dr's visit which I had to complete before the surgery. I have to go to six nutrition counseling visiits, one psychological, one gastroenterology with a endoscopy procedure is required, one pulmonary and a cardiologist exam. All Dr's may require more than one visit. When I went for my first nutrition visit last week, the nutritionist said that I didn't have to have 6 visits since I was on Medicare!! The six visits were requirements of my secondary insurance. Medicare rules first. I went to my heart Dr and he is requiring me to have a stress test before he releases me for surgery. So I am on my way. I wish that I had more nutrition visits as I think this is a major part of the surgery afterwards. When, I asked my Dr. about my age, he said that he operated on people older than me and they did fine. Are there currently any "oldies" out there who can share their experiences??

I just joined today and found this thread,,, so happy to see other that is in my age group!! haha I am 69 will be 70 in April.... I am just starting this process waiting for the call about what Medicare and supplement will cover, then will make first Doc appointment... I am so anxious to start this and have already started ""my diet"" so I can lost 50 before surgery!!!

Welcome to the group. I just started today too. Hi, I had to laugh that you are 69 and will be 70 in April. I am 69 for less than a month to go. I turn 70 on October 16. I had gotten a magazine from a local hospital, that I've never gone to. I read with great interest about a husband/wife that had the gastric sleeve surgery close to each other. They started walking together, and planned their meals, etc. etc. I reread that article a couple of times and said that I was very interested. As I flipped through the magazine, there was a page with coming events, including a weight loss seminar the next week. I went and liked what I heard. The surgeon who is in charge of the bariatric program at the hospital gave the talk and afterwards answered questions. The nurse said if we wanted to make an appt with the Dr. would do it. My husband came with me. I know myself and said that if I didn't do it right then, I'd take my time calling them. I went there and again liked the Dr and staff. Mostly, I enjoyed talking to a couple of ladies in the waiting room who gladly answered my questions. One of them told me about the different Dr visits that the different insurances required. I give you so much credit starting to lose weight now. I am going to start myself. My Dr. has a person in his office that just handles insurance claims. I have another post under sooner or later that has what happened to me at my first nutritianist's meeting. Take care and good luck. Please keep in touch, as it's nice to "see" another Medicare person currently posting. I have read a lot of posts , not just this topic and there is a wealth of info here.

Hi Roseanne
I am 66 years old and having my sleeve surgery on October 15th. My surgeon told me this will add decades to my life. I applaud you for taking the steps to this new life we will embark on!! I think Medicare will pay for additional nutritional visits after surgery. Welcome and keep us posted!!

Welcome back. Sorry that you had a rough time, but you can't keep us "oldies" down. :):) Did the surgeon find the hernia while you were having surgery? How long did you stay in the hospital? You are now on the other side of the mountain working your way down. You are an inspiration, take care of yourself and please keep us informed of your progress. And, always remember, we are as close as your computer. Besides being informative, This group of people has been supportive and wonderful!!

Well I found my way back here. Update on The Golden Oldie, I am 78 yrs old had my sleeve on 9-18 and living to talk about it. It was a little rough but now I am 8 days post op. I also had to have a hiatal hernia repair which I didn’t even know I had so possibly a little harder.
Nan Hope you continue to feel better every day... Please find your way back often and keep us all updated on you progress!!

I’m 65 I’m 3 week post-op. Not doing as well as I would like to be. But before surgery I was no doing at all.
I had just signed up for medicare 2 days before my surgery. My patient advocate told me if you use medicare
The pre op steps take a little longer.

Hi Nicelady, For me being on Medicare, could have shortened my wait. I was told that I needed 6 nutrition consecutive monthly visits. This was actually the requirement of my secondary insurance. When this was discovered, Medicare's requirement was only 2 nutrition visits and my surgery (if I completed all the other physician approvals could have been in December instead of next March. HOpefully, the next three weeks will be better ones. Good luck and keep us posted.

Good evening Nicelady.....I am sorry are you not mending as fast as you would like, perhaps being a little older we don't bounce back as fast! I will be 70 before I get to have surgery,,,, Dr office just checked on my medicare and told me it would take 7 months... they want once a month Dr supervised diet program.... I keep thinking they need to fast track me..... I'm almost 70!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Nicelady me thinks this is going to take a while. I am 8 days out and got hit with a UTI. Feeling better now but my primary dr said due to constipation I set myself up for UTI. I am journaling each day how I feel and what I accomplish when I look back I am moving right out.

I am 70 and my comorbidities are degenerative disc disease, hyperlipidemia, chronic kidney disease, osteoarthritis, and GERD. I just barely meet the weight qualification. I have read that seniors are only qualified by Medicare if they have severe comorbidities. I am concerned and I'm waiting on approval. Is there anyone in this group who has been in that situation and who is on Medicare? I'm a little anxious that I may not be approved.

Hi Rita. I am 66 years old and called Medicare. I had sleeve done and they approve my procedure. Call them for your worries! Be sure you know what procedure you are having done. Your surgeon office should be knowledgeable on this. I believe it doesn't take long for your Dr toget approval. But your BMI is important. Keep us posted!

Hi Rita. I am 66 years old and called Medicare. I had sleeve done and they approve my procedure. Call them for your worries! Be sure you know what procedure you are having done. Your surgeon office should be knowledgeable on this. I believe it doesn't take long for your Dr toget approval. But your BMI is important. Keep us posted!
Thank you for the info.My Dr. Said he is not sure because although I do have comorbidities but sometimes Medicare only approved the more serious ones like diabetes, HBP and Serious sleep apnea at higher age...elderly. My BMI is 36. Had a lapband removed 3 months ago...

I am on the fence I’m to do it or not having people say why you are 70? I have a date August 14 how hard was it to go home and take care of yourself or do you need help to get around. In November I will be going to St.Kitts is that to early to go on a vacation?
I will be 71 in December and I am hoping to be approved for bypass surgery I've heard that the comorbidities they consider are more strict for people over 65 and that they consider us on a case-by-case basis. I am somewhat concerned because I do not have high blood pressure or sleep apnea or diabetes.

Hi Rita, I am 70 years old and on Medicare. I am going to have the sleeve done in March. I could have had the surgery done in December but for personal reasons , I am keeping the March date. I have hypertension, high collestrol , pre diabetic, acid reflux and a couple of other things that I take rx's for. I also have obese bmi. I would call Medicare with your concerns and check about the time frame. Good luck.

Back