• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

New here. Hope to learn from those who have gone before me.

Lydarose

Hi! This is my first post, though I have been lurking on this forum for several weeks.

I started my journey last May when I spoke to my PCP about bariatric surgery. I met with the surgeon early June and began a medically supervised weight loss program July 3rd. My last appointment with my bariatric surgery coordinator, who I refer to as “my drill sergeant”, was last Wednesday. Everything has been submitted to my insurance and I have a tentative date of December 16, 2019, pending insurance approval.

In between July and now there have been a flurry of appointments and tests. Bloodwork, 2 session psych evaluation, group therapy, support group,endoscope, dietitian evaluation, vascular surgeon evaluation, endoscope, etc.

I had originally had wanted a gastric sleeve procedure, but because of a hiatal hernia And something called esophageal Hill grade 4, I will be having a bypass procedure.

My why? Why now? I have bilateral bone on bone knee arthritis and am losing mobility. I need to lose more weight before I can get my knees replaced. So here’s to a new road to health and mobility.

Hi! This is my first post, though I have been lurking on this forum for several weeks.

I started my journey last May when I spoke to my PCP about bariatric surgery. I met with the surgeon early June and began a medically supervised weight loss program July 3rd. My last appointment with my bariatric surgery coordinator, who I refer to as “my drill sergeant”, was last Wednesday. Everything has been submitted to my insurance and I have a tentative date of December 16, 2019, pending insurance approval.

In between July and now there have been a flurry of appointments and tests. Bloodwork, 2 session psych evaluation, group therapy, support group,endoscope, dietitian evaluation, vascular surgeon evaluation, endoscope, etc.

I had originally had wanted a gastric sleeve procedure, but because of a hiatal hernia And something called esophageal Hill grade 4, I will be having a bypass procedure.

My why? Why now? I have bilateral bone on bone knee arthritis and am losing mobility. I need to lose more weight before I can get my knees replaced. So here’s to a new road to health and mobility.
Well thank you for you posting. It is a long procedure before you get to surgery but it’s well worth it. The reason I had my surgery it about the same as yours. Bilateral bone on bone arthritis. Hardly any mobility. But I also what to live longer, and to live a healthier life. I’m 8 weeks in and it still hard to walk, but it is getting better. I’m trying to do a 1 mile 2 times a day.
I have to get down to 197 before they will do my knee. I have 107 more to go. You can do this.

Thanks for the encouragement. It’s good to know I’m not alone.

You are definitely not alone. I have issues with my right knee and have gone so far as to have exploratory surgery, but when they said they "fixed it", I was having the same pains weeks afterwards, so no, not fixed. At this point the only hope I have for my knee is to lose weight and see if that helps. So far, it seems to be doing the trick.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and all of the things that are to come. This is just the start but I have high hopes you will be happy with your decision. So far, it is the best decision I have made. Keep us updated :)

My story is almost identical to yours. Started the process in June also and went through all the tests you mentioned. My surgery is scheduled December 11th. Best of luck to you!

Back