• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What was the 'final straw'?

My final straw was this: I have a neighbor who weighs close to 600 pounds. I known her for years and it never dawned on my that I could be like her one day until I moved in next door to her. I went over to see her after she came home from the hospital and she was in terrible shape. I kept watching her, in a wheel chair all the time, making excuses for eating the foods she was eating, going out to eat every day, going to the 7-11 to get chips and dip and pop at midnight.... I could go on but long story short...I didn't want to end up in a wheel chair and unable to live my life. I am 2 and 1/2 years out now and feel better than I ever have, and if I don't lose anymore weight, so be it. I lost 100 pounds and I am keeping it off.

Like ShellyW, I work in the public sector arena. I'm an HR Director. My sisters are slim and fit and last summer my Mother unexpectedly died. It was very tough but what made it harder was at the funeral seeing family and folks that I hadn't seen for 20 years and their polite but obvious concern that I am unhealthy. I got tired of being the "fat sister" or the one who needed help to do anything. The surgery was two weeks ago and I'm still in pain but know this was a life changing event.

Welcome Carolyn. You must be a neighbor! :) I am in Broken Arrow! It sounds like you are on the mend - 2 weeks out one would still expect to have pain and to be moving slowly after major surgery. With one of my incisions, I had some nerve regeneration pain that lasted about 6 weeks but after that, it just kind of "disappeared". The water and protein intake will be a challenge for a while, but it does get easier. Keep up the good work!

I can relate to Carolyn's experience first hand. Some relatives that I haven't seen for years get that "deer in the headlight" expression when they see me for the first time in years. I have gained about 50 lbs. since 1996, after my husband passed away. And I have gained a whole lot more since high school graduation. I was at an elderly neighbor's funeral a while ago. This neighbor was from an area that my family moved away from in the early 70's. Although we ran into each other through the years, the last time I saw her grown children was about 20 years ago. Well, imagine my surprise and their reactions when none of them recognized me even after introducing myself during visitation at the funeral home.

Last edited:
I tore my ACL at work and the orthopedic surgeon wouldn't do the surgery unless I lost weight. He recommended WLS and on November 10th I had the surgery. Everything is slowly but surely getting better...

Congrats, Goodfella, and welcome to the group! I had to smile...slowly but surely...you are down 60 lbs since your surgery...wow. That's great! Has to feel better on the knee. Prior to my surgery, I was inline for knee replacements. The ortho didn't want to do the surgery at that time. He said I was so young that the replacements would have to be redone when I got older. I didn't realize there was a shelf-life for knee replacements!!! Since surgery, my knees are so happy that I have no intention of having knee surgery. Both knees feel soooo good. My husband tore his ACL last year. He suffered horribly until they did the surgery. I hope you aren't in too much pain while you wait this out! Take care.

Thanks, I am not too bad... Will have to see how it feels after more weight loss... WC said they want me to have the knee surgery after 100lbs, and I do not think I will agree with that because I would rather keep losing the weight than be stuck for 6 months with a bad knee and rehab... Will have to see how it goes now though :)

Congrats, Goodfella, and welcome to the group! I had to smile...slowly but surely...you are down 60 lbs since your surgery...wow. That's great! Has to feel better on the knee. Prior to my surgery, I was inline for knee replacements. The ortho didn't want to do the surgery at that time. He said I was so young that the replacements would have to be redone when I got older. I didn't realize there was a shelf-life for knee replacements!!! Since surgery, my knees are so happy that I have no intention of having knee surgery. Both knees feel soooo good. My husband tore his ACL last year. He suffered horribly until they did the surgery. I hope you aren't in too much pain while you wait this out! Take care.

Falling and not being able to get up (bad knees) by myself. Twice. That's an awful feeling.
Airplanes with not enough room in the seats/aisles/bathrooms.
Restaurant booths.
Not being able to shop for clothing anywhere except mail order or plus sized stores.
Looking at myself in the mirror. Aches and pains I wouldn't have if I was a healthy weight. Knees. Feet. Back.
Wanting to feel good again--physically and mentally.

Sue-Every one of your final straws are EXACTLY what I have been going through for years. The one exception is that I have a bad hip instead of bad knees. In June 2010 I slipped and fell when I was in my basement. I had just finished giving my dog a bath. She must have laid down on the floor by the stairs while waiting for me to finish tidying up the basement bathroom where she was bathed. In doing so she made a wet spot on the tiled floor. I was using my cane and was not being as careful as I should have been. I had the cane too far in front of me and when I unknowingly made contact with the wet floor it slipped and down I went, hard, and landed on my right hip. I was a bit stunned and since my right hip was already diagnosed as needing to be replaced you can imagine how intense my pain was. I thought it was broken but luckily it wasn't. Well, I couldn't get up but kept trying for well over 20 minutes and became exhausted. I never had a problem getting up after doing work on my knees before I fell that day. When you have a bad hip and try to get up you only have one good leg to lift with, and at my weight it just wasn't happening. Thank God I had my cell phone with me and was able to call 911 for assistance. The rescue team had to jimmie open one of my windows to get into the house. They didn't cause any permanent damage to my window and were so wonderful and understanding. I had a lock box installed outside of the house in my back yard with a door key and car key in it. I hope to never have to use it.

I noticed you haven’t had surgery yet. My surgery should be sometime in January 2012 so please come back to the forum so we can keep track of each other’s progress. Have you had a consult with a bariatric surgeon yet? If not, I highly recommend that you attend a seminar for bariatric surgery. They will give you an overview of all of the available surgical options and a surgeon is usually there to answer any questions you may have. From there you can make an appointment to meet with the surgeon one on one. Once you do this you will be better prepared to make your decision on whether or not WLS is right for you.

Having had both knees replaced, I understand your reluctance to do that. I AGREE!! The pain does not go away, even after replacement. It just changes. I already feel better having lost over 30 lbs. I've just gotten to where I'm able to eat anything (still soft, etc.). Back to knees. I know the pain will be better in another 70 lbs. I just wish I'd not had to have the replacements. Unfortunately, I'm 60 and I'd been abusing my knees far too long.

Tonite was my last prep class (Kaiser Permenante has you take a series of 12 classes for infomation/learning about WLS) Now I have to wait to be called to schedule surgery and/or meet with the surgeon. They told us tonite most would be scheduled for surgery in January--I just have to wait to hear from them. Exciting and scary at the same time. :)

Tonite, a patient that had the surgery 2 years ago and lost all his weight came and talked to us and answered every question we had for him. He looked incredible. Gives you hope everytime you meet/talk to someone like that.

I fully intend to stay in this site and give/receive info--I think we all need that connection to stay on track.

Co-morbidities and medications, for sure, but the final straw was when a co-work of 14 years made a comment about how huge my butt was while we were in the staff lounge. I was bending over a table talking with someone else, and since I couldn't stand for long periods, I was leaning on the table to support my weight, and my butt was sticking out. I was so humiliated! I had been thinking of having RNY for 3 years but that comment compelled me to attend a bariatric seminar the very next Saturday. Minus 150 lbs now, no health problems, no pain anywhere and a size 10 butt! Ha! I am smaller now than my coworker! Go me! :)

Anyone who has never been this size has NO CLUE how bad we feel inside--how we beat ourselves up everyday and how we remember comments like that and play them over and over in our head. Plus, what makes people think that every thought that comes in their head has to be blurted out?? I think many need to learn tact. Compassion. And a little "lip-zipping". :)
Sometimes though, they can take you down with just a look. It can be a cruel world out there, that's for sure.

The only time in my life that I had butt or bosom I lost in a tradeoff of a large apron. Oh well I am65 and not doing any more surgeries. At my age anesthesia can be very dangerous and I haven't finished my bucket list yetpatti

hi my name is Laycee and the finally straw for me was my mom had just passed away and my Dr. told me i had 100 % blockage in both femoral artery's in my legs. My blood pressure was sky high and i was on 4 medications for that. I also was taken A LOT of insulin! I was on a down word spiral and felt like i had lost all control. I had to even get a handicap sticker cause i couldn't walk 50 ft with out getting short of breath.

I was all set for my Surgery and then was told that they had found cancer stage 1 in my left kidney. I had my Lap Band surgery on Oct 5th 2011 and my Left Kidney Removed on 12/6/2011. Im hoping to get my weight loss into gear with my first band fill on the 9th! I also would love to be able to ride a bike or play football with my 10 yr old son! Be nice also to walk around with out getting short of breath! Thank you!

I want to be an active mom. I am 40 years old, with three young, active children and I have absolutely no energy to do anything with them...I live life from my recliner and it sucks!! I finally have everything I ever wanted in a family and I can't be an active member. I do not wish to sit on the sidelines of my life anymore!! I want to be the mom running up and down the soccer feild keeping up with my kids...Yes, I want to be an active "Soccer Mom"...I want to live! My fiance is very physically fit and supports me all the way!! We live on the water and I sit in my recliner watching him and the kids kayak down the creek while I sit here and berate myself for not being able to fit in a kayak. I have always been heavy but I am at my heaviest right now...I am bored with my own weight loss drama and want success. I am a rule follower, the only thing in life that I can not seem to follow the rules on is diets. I know that I can not do it on my own, sheesh I have been trying unsuccessfully since the age of 11. What is the definition of insanity, yeah I know doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...ergo GASTRIC BYPASSSSS!!! I deserve quality and quanitity of life and so does my family.

My final straw was constantly falling asleep at work & everywhere else because I couldn't sleep in bed & not being able to breathe. I started seeing a doctor because I was at the end of my rope & he just happened to have had a gastric bypass 18 months prior & looked great. The next day (October 17, 2010)I called my insurance to see what I had to do, 2 days later I started weight watchers & started the process. May 24th 2011, I had my surgery & have never looked back. Seven months & 120 lbs later I feel great! No regrets for surgery & I would recommed it for anyone that is having trouble.

Back