• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What was the 'final straw'?

I had a friend that was greater than 400 lbs. she had a rny anddlooked great. I started doing research and went to a pre-op informatioal group at the surgery center and then I spent 2 years before I had competed everything and had my surgery. I was tired of the roller coaster, y co-morbidities, limited activity and just looking myself in the mirror you? patti

I will tell all of you. beware at your 5 year timeline. continue to follow your diet religiously. I never was one that could stop with a bite of anything and mybody getting less sensitive to quick carbs I have paid the price and now I am back on track. I have only lost 5 lbs and it has been horrible because I am a comfort eater. I am not trying t burst any ones' bubble just remain cautious of your triggers...pattiRNY 2003

Patti-Don't make me come down there after you *lol* Hang in there and continue to stay on track. With my surgery coming up very soon I need all the inspiration I can get from your experience and everyone else's. Hey, us "older gals" need to stick together and show everyone how it's done. Keep up the good work lady :)

Hang in there Patti, you still have the tool, you can do it :) I can relate to the comfort eating, I was a bordom eater so thats one thing I need to watch, I still eat small meals and get dumping when I don't eat right so that helps. 5 lbs is great, the holidays just finished up so I know that wasn't easy, that's when all the goodies come out :( ! Take care and let us know how your doing, I know you can do it. :cool: Tom

Sounds like we are all in the same get healthy mindset. I am in the beginning, getting clearances and hope to have the roux n y in April 2012. I too have comorbidities that have decreased my quality of life, and the endocrinologist said there's nothing more he can do for me but keep increasing my dosage of insulin, which is causing me to gain more weight, regardless of diet and exercise. I'm on an insulin pump, using U-500 insulin, and it's too restrictive. I am just done with this not being able to walk from pain of a herniated disc and horrific sciatica, that never leaves. I want to run around with my grandson, shop and not get tired, not use an amigo at Walmart! I remember what working out felt like, and I want to go back to the gym and see some real results. Sally, I am with you...same situation, but I'm just starting out.

My final straw was when I realized I was getting older and if I went into a nursing home some time in my life, no would would move me because I was to big. I couldn't sit in chairs at the movies easily, and felt like an embarrassment to my children. I had gastric by-pass in 05 and am much healthier. Now I just need to get out and be more active. I've lost 150#.

Hi everyone, My final straw... I was so tired of not living, watching everyone else having a life, it seems like all I ever did was go to work and come home, I would see my BF about once a week and really didn't care if I saw him or not. I was watching the intamacy part of my life also leave. And I knew that it all had to do with my weight... I just had my surgery on 1/18/12 so I am still very new to what is about to happen to me.

Well my final straw was really more than one thing, my job is physically demanding and at over 300 lbs and only 5'8" I was carying around a lot of extra weight. I tried my best to portion my meals, I ate healthy foods, a good balance of fresh fruit, vegitables, lean meats and whole grains for my carbohydrates along with a daily exersice routine and I would still keep gaining weight. I was taking High blood pressure pills, high colesteral pills, and knew it would only be a matter of time until my blood surgars started creeping up.

My knees hurt whenever I had to hike down hills, I was always out of breath whenever I hiked or tried jogging, I struggled to pass my physical fitness test for my job and it kept getting harder every year. When I would go to sleep I couldn't sleep on my stomach because I found it hard to breath, my arms would go numb when I was asleep so I would always wake up several times a night to role over only to have the other arm go numb an hour later, shopping for cloths was getting harder and harder. I just felt tired all the time.

When I went in for a doctors visit for my quarterly check up for my meds I was up to 315 lbs. I was at my wits end and my doctor asked me what I wanted to do about it and she could see I was as concerned as she was. I asked about weight loss surgery and she thought that it would be worth looking into and got me into a weight loss seminar at a hospital in souther oregon that specializes in bariatric surgery. That was the day my life changed. I am now under 200 lbs for the first time in many years, no more medication, I can run, hike, go to sleep through the night and I can shop in regular stores and find cloths that fit me. I still go to support grooups I feel it is a good place to learn and share our common experiences with our journey on this road to a healthy life. Thats my story :cool: Tom

welcome to the site. we all have stories to tell and share our sad days with.briefly I had my RNY 03 and did well for 5years and the the weight sated creeping back.the first 18mo I llost 120 lbs and then became anorexic and sstruggled for 6 mo with that I felt really good at 156 lbs and that is my goal and represents44 lbs. I am making the effort but it is a slow process and harder than the first time because there are very few things that give me dumping syndrome(That is when you eat-become nauseated-go to bed and in couple of hrs it has run through your system and you begin to feel human again. It is the kind of sick hard to describe,but the oh God get meout of this and I will never do it again.good luck patti

to heck with your boyfriend. You have entered the world of other people just like you.I know that I reached a day in the first part of January I would do anything to get ridd of the 50 lbs I gained since 2008 and I have a mindset today to get backon track and fight the cravings for carbs. everyone in my house is on a diet and they are all different. I have a grown sone that wants to try the 5 day pouch test with me. my husband wants to avoid bread and all junk foods and supplement with grapefruit juce. That diet worked well for him because it is high protein, frsh veetables. So I figure we will all meet somewhere in the middle. I am following the 5 day process to the letter and there seems to a good chance I'll start to lose again. what a rush when you lose that first 30 lbs. patti

your thinking of lap band

Dutchgal-When I had my consult with the surgeon I was also considering the sleeve. The deciding factor was the amount of weight I have to lose. Also, the sleeve requires a lot of adjusting in some cases. This means trips back to see the surgeon for tightening and/or loosening. Your surgeon will be honest with you and help you decide if the sleeve will work for you. If you haven't been to a bariatric weight loss seminar yet you should plan on going. Most bariatric centers have these and they are free. They will go over each available surgery and answer your questions and address any concerns you may have. The seminar itself is interesting and very informative. Even though I did extensive research over the Internet (5 years worth) there were many facts I learned in the seminar that were not available on-line. Once I narrowed down my options I was emailed schematics of each of the surgeries I was considering to help me decide which one I wanted before my first consult with the surgeon. I was told to share the schematics with friends and family if I wanted. They are not copywrited. I still have these and can send these to you if you private message me through this site and provide me with your email.

The sleeve is taking out most of your stomach and there is no adjustment. I believe your thinking of the lap (crap) band.

yes I had a sleep apnea monitor thaAt didn' work out well,ouldn't get the final pieces to fit orhad a leak. thank god I was able to have my surgeryand get rid of that darn thing. a repeat study showed I didn't need it anymore patti

FIREBIRD19-yeah...you are 100% correct. I noticed my error shortly after I made the post but forgot to go back and try to delete it. I Was really tired when I wrote that post so it was just one of those things. Thanks for pointing it out.

Patti-I can't wait to be free of my CPAP. I have used it for about 6 or 7 years. It's comfortable for me and I don't mind using it because it makes a big difference in the quality of sleep but I just want to be able to get into bed as soon as I get tired and close my eyes without having to clean the water resavoir and mask then put the mask on before I fall asleep. Heck, by the time I do all of that I am usually not tired enough to sleep anymore and have to get up for a couple more hours *LOL* I'm thinking that is part of the reason I don't have a regular sleep schedule.

that is a long time to have to deal with all the little duties that go along with keeping it in working order. I just couldn't get any rest with mine. It was like I would fall asleep thenall of a sudden it was like I was drowning...guess you know what I did. You know the past month of reconnecting with people who have the same disorder has been like waking up and remembering all the corners I turned and steps I took to initially lose the weight and I feel like you and I share a common bond and I thankyou for lifting my sprits and help me see I can lose it again.....patti

look at you 100 lbs lighter and keeping on doing the deal. welcome to the site. everyone is genuinely inteseted in our recovery welcome patti

Back