• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Another Newbie

Hello Everybody,

I am so glad to be here. I had my Roux-En-Y surgery on 3/14/13 and I have been home for 24 hours. I started vomiting brown/black bile mid-morning on my second day post-op and it went downhill from there. I was not prepared for the pain and I had an anxiety attach (never had one before in my 60 years). I couldn't make myself go to a happy place, walking only increased the anxiety. I said every prayer and Novena I know. I even gave myself my last rites! I am looking forward to sharing my journey with you and learning from your experiences. Hugs, Nancy

Welcome! It sounds like you had a bad day. Do you have any anti-nausea medication, and pain medication at home? I am a big fan of scheduled pain medication for the first few days to a week. Use that nausea medication too, if you have it. It can be scary as a new post op. Remember to keep sipping, and resting along with the walking. Do you have someone home with you?

Hello Everybody,

I am so glad to be here. I had my Roux-En-Y surgery on 3/14/13 and I have been home for 24 hours. I started vomiting brown/black bile mid-morning on my second day post-op and it went downhill from there. I was not prepared for the pain and I had an anxiety attach (never had one before in my 60 years). I couldn't make myself go to a happy place, walking only increased the anxiety. I said every prayer and Novena I know. I even gave myself my last rites! I am looking forward to sharing my journey with you and learning from your experiences. Hugs, Nancy
Hi Nancy, I am so sorry you are doing the nausea thing...I have been very fortunate to not have that happen.....do you have someone you can phone when you feel so awful...sometimes talking calms you down...I had my surgery on 2-14 and I thought I was going to begin losing weight. (I am 64)...maybe I have a poor attitude, but I have not lost a pound in 14 days....I feel bloated and like a stuffed sausage....I have a severe knee problem and everyone wants me to walk, walk, walk....GEE, I want to walk too, but how many pain pills do I have to take to do that? I guess we all have predicuments....There are a lot of people on here that can give you positive and motivational experiences....they lift me when I am DOWN, and I guess I should talk to one of them now..... LOL....good idea....hope to hear you are doing better each and every day.....Oh, and prayers and Novenas do help.....Rin

Hi Rin,
Thanks for writing me back. I am over the nausea...thank goodness it only occurred while I was in the hospital! I am feeling better today than yesterday although I find it a little difficult to lay down on my left side. I have to pick up my stomach to turn it over to get up! I would love to walk but I too suffer from arthritis in my right knee and chronic back pain and left buttock pain. Those are the main reasons for my surgery. Hopefully, the weight loss will eliminate the pain and I can be more active. The amount of pain meds I take is overwhelming. Hang in there and I am sure the bloating will pass. Perhaps you can do some exercises in a stationary position.

P.S. If I could walk it wouldn't be happening outside today because we got dumped on with snow! Take care and keep in contact. Hugs, Nancy

Hi Missirenee,
I appreciate you taking the time to welcome me and for writing me back. MY nausea only lasted while I was in the hospital. I am doing better today than yesterday although my left side is still in some pain. I have been sip, sip, sipping! Can't do too much walking...we are in the midst of a snow storm. I am doing a little walking around the house. Yes, my husband has been home with me thank goodness. Have a pleasant evening and keep in touch. Hugs, Nancy

Back