• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Help! Total lack of smell (anosmia).

Hello Friends,

I am 3 weeks post-op and since I have come home I have noticed that I have no sense of smell (anosmia. I burn (good) candles constantly and cannot smell them...I have to hold the candle to my nose and then I can smell it. I cannot smell my perfume. This morning my husband walked outside and complained of the gross odor from a meat factory across the highway...I could not smell it. This is something that I have complained about for years. Today, I got a perm and I cannot smell the odor...but my husband and my friend smelled it. I read an article that a women had surgery and lost her sense of smell for 6 months and they said it was due to the anesthesia. This is very annoying and potentially dangerous. I forgot to ask my doctor when I had my 3-week follow up on Thursday but I am going to contact him on Monday and inquire. Has anybody else experienced this? Have a great weekend! Hugs, Nancy

I didn'y loose my sense of smell but I did loose hair for a few months. I was told that is a normal side effect of the surgery and to take Biotin to supplement. This has stopped now but I continue taking Biotin

Hi Nancy, I did not have the loss of smell, this is the first time I've heard of it. For me, things I used to enjoy the smell of, became things I couldn't stand smelling. Now in my sixth month of post op, I'm finding that most of the smells I enjoyed presurgery are back. Did you call the Dr. today? What did he say, I'm curious.

Frank

:cool:

Another thing that changed with me was the taste of lots of foods like fried chicken it was my favorite way to eat it now it doesnt appeal to me.now only spicy and citrusy food remain exciting to eat

Good Evening Frank,

Yes, I spoke to a Nurse Practitioner @ my Bariatric Surgery Center on Monday. In fact I had to go back in and see them because of my blood pressure. The Nurse Practitioner checked with a doctor and he said there was no correlation between bariatric surgery and the loss of smell. I have a friend who works in Surgery who is checking with an anesthesiologist to see what he thinks. My blood pressure was at an all-time low 98/48 and I was so dizzy I couldn't walk straight when I got up from a chair or bed. They had me to call my Primary Care Physician who had me take 1/2 dose of my BP med to see if there is an improvement. I was okay today. The Nurse Practitioner did say that she recently read an article (she can't remember in what publication) that said there is a correlation between bariatric surgery and high uric acid levels (that was another post of mine). I have an appointment with my Primary Care Physician in 2 weeks and I am going to ask him about my lack of smell. These issues are both real coincidental...I had blood work before surgery with both physicians and my uric acid levels were fine and I could smell! So far, no foods smell offensive to me but I am only 4 weeks post. Take care and thanks for writing me back. Good luck on your WTL journey! Your loser friend, Nancy

Good Evening Manny,

I started to loose my hair a few months back prior to surgery. I was on several types of pain meds for my back and diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I am convinced my hair loss was due to all those meds or a combination of one or another. I still have lots of hair even after the loss. I started shampooing with a shampoo with Biotin. I also started taking a Biotin vitamin after bariatric surgery. I hope I don't loose anymore hair. Let me know how you make out. Also, I have not found any food smell offensive yet. I haven't decided what my favorite food is that I am going to miss yet. I was a Pepsi and Cape Cod Potato Chip fanatic!! Good luck on your weight loss journey! Have a pleasant evening, Nancy

Back