• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

High Uric Acid Levels

Good Afternoon All,

I am on my second week of post-op. I had blood work today from both my bariatric surgeon and my primary care physician. My primary physician's office called me back and said the doctor was concerned because the blood work results indicated a high level of uric acid. He said it often occurs after bariatric surgery. He is going to contact my bariatric surgeon and get back to me. I looked on the internet and I cannot find and connection between bariatric surgery and high uric acid levels. I am curious if anybody else had the same results? Please let me know. Thanks and have a pleasant afternoon. Hugs, Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I have not had that problem, at least not that I know of. No one has discussed it in any of the support group meetings I've been to. I will be following this thread because I'm interested. I hope that everything turns out ok.

Frank

:cool:

Thanks Frank for getting back to me. I meet with my surgeon next week and I hope he can shed some light on this. Lord knows I do not want to have to take another pill. I was so glad to not have to take my high cholesterol or diabetes meds after my surgery!! Good luck on your journey. Take care, Nancy

Noturningbak-Try not to be overly concerned. This is not a life threatening issue. There are medications that correct this. I have the same problem but mine was not caused by bariatric surgery. I've had high levels of uric acid for at least 10 years before my surgery. Gout is a form of arthritis and if left untreatd can cause a lot of pain. So if you are prescribed meds please take them as directed.

Back