• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hubby got his surgery date!

My husband has scheduled his gastric sleeve surgery for Feb 15th. I am super excited for him. However, his surgeon (who was my surgeon) gave him THREE weeks pre-op liquid diet. Due to where my husband carries his weight (upper abdomen) the surgeon wants the extra weight loss and liver shrinkage the extra week can give him.

He has been very worried about his ability to stick to a 2-week pre-op liquid diet, so I said I'd do it with him. No biggie, right? But now, it's THREE weeks and I'm mad lol

I've also been trying to go over my materials from post op to get a refresher on the basics, even though I had the bypass, so it is a little different. It's actually been really beneficial to me.

So happy for him!!! What is one more week he can do this. This will make the surgery easier for your husband and the surgeon. I did longer than I had too just because i wanted as much fat out of the area as I could. My surgeon said i did not need too but I wanted to feel like I was doing my part for the surgery.

Good luck to him

My husband has scheduled his gastric sleeve surgery for Feb 15th. I am super excited for him. However, his surgeon (who was my surgeon) gave him THREE weeks pre-op liquid diet. Due to where my husband carries his weight (upper abdomen) the surgeon wants the extra weight loss and liver shrinkage the extra week can give him.

He has been very worried about his ability to stick to a 2-week pre-op liquid diet, so I said I'd do it with him. No biggie, right? But now, it's THREE weeks and I'm mad lol

I've also been trying to go over my materials from post op to get a refresher on the basics, even though I had the bypass, so it is a little different. It's actually been really beneficial to me.
That is my anniversary date for 1 year. Welcome to the journey.

This is great, when you are in a serious relationship. Someone you spend every day with, eat all your "at home" meals with it is ALWAYS easier when they are on board or doing it with you. My wife is "chubby" would barely meet the requirements for approval if at all. But non the less, slightly overweight. She is going to the the pre-op diet and post-op liquid diet with me. But honestly, I am more worried about when I get back to "normal eating" For example when we are having dinner and she is eating a normal size meal and I am eating 2oz of meat with a few veggies. In short I would basically be sitting there waiting for her, watching her eat. I feel like that will be the hardest part. I have already started practicing this. As I have been counting calories and making better choices throughout all of the pre-op process. I tend to not finish my meals, but my extra food is just sitting there staring me down (haha) and I am waiting for her to finish her meal. It has taken self control and if I had the best of that then I wouldn't be here to begin with. On the flip side, she doesn't prefer many carbs so at least our meals would likely be the same other than her eating a little more. I try to eat slower so I can still be eating while she is eating, trying to implement the 20 or more chews rule. This all helps but I still have my long term worries.

This is great, when you are in a serious relationship. Someone you spend every day with, eat all your "at home" meals with it is ALWAYS easier when they are on board or doing it with you. My wife is "chubby" would barely meet the requirements for approval if at all. But non the less, slightly overweight. She is going to the the pre-op diet and post-op liquid diet with me. But honestly, I am more worried about when I get back to "normal eating" For example when we are having dinner and she is eating a normal size meal and I am eating 2oz of meat with a few veggies. In short I would basically be sitting there waiting for her, watching her eat. I feel like that will be the hardest part. I have already started practicing this. As I have been counting calories and making better choices throughout all of the pre-op process. I tend to not finish my meals, but my extra food is just sitting there staring me down (haha) and I am waiting for her to finish her meal. It has taken self control and if I had the best of that then I wouldn't be here to begin with. On the flip side, she doesn't prefer many carbs so at least our meals would likely be the same other than her eating a little more. I try to eat slower so I can still be eating while she is eating, trying to implement the 20 or more chews rule. This all helps but I still have my long term worries.
You may find after surgery this is not as bad as you think it will be. You will eat slowly because they tell you too also because you need to. You will find you are full fast and do not want to eat more so having the leftovers lookin at you will not be bad. I find I eat so slow that I am done about the same time as my husband. I do still give time between bites so this makes me very slow.

Good luck and you got this.

My husband and I almost always share meals when eating out at restaurants. They have such huge serving sizes in the first place. Sometimes he’ll order an extra side or salad, but it’s generally more than enough for both of us.

I did not find eating together an issue, either. I use smaller plates and at home, we're eating the same food so I'm not missing out on anything. Chewing 20 times definitely helps. When we go out to eat, I tend to order off the a la cart or the kids menu.
I am excited to see how it goes once both of us have had the surgery.

Back