• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Need some new ideas for full liquids

NanaG67

Hi everyone! I feel a little frustrated but am taking things day by day....Can anyone give me some suggestions as to some full liquids that I could have?? Right now I am drinking v-8 juice, protein drinks (though I am told I am not getting enough protein in), water, creamy soups...just getting sick of the same old things. I can't wait till next week when I can start having soft foods, then I can actually have better options.

Also, there seems to be some conflict, as I am told to find things that has under 4 grams of sugar, but those things are hard to find. I am supposed to use either applesauce or yogurt to take my medicines in (the ones in the capsules) but I cannot find anything under 8 grams of sugar...any suggestions?:confused:

Hi Nana,

I was given the guideline of less than 10g of sugar. Then again everyone is different. Sadly I have not been able to find any yogurt w/low sugars w/the exception of the Greek yogurt & probably regular plain. If I'm going to have plain yogurt I'm going to pay a little more & get the bigger protein bang per ounce.

It takes like sour cream but the dietician in the Bariatric unit had some suggestions to improve the flavor; Mio drops, crystal light powder, sugar free jello and/or pudding powder mix or Sugar free jelly or jams. I've been pretty much using the sugar free jello but getting mighty sick of it. Haven't tried the Mio drops, perhaps I will. When I was on the pre-op diet I did use the sugar free jam. I tried 2 brands, smuckers & Polaner. I really prefer the Polaner though it's more expensive & I'm unable to get it at the supermarket closest to where I live.

The Bariatric RN told me not to get my crushed pills in by mixing them on food but rather mixing them w/crystal light, swallow it, take a few sip(s) of water & follow w/a little crystal light (alone). It was nasty, just like the applesauce.

It seems like fruit is pretty tricky. I would think the best you can do w/applesauce is buying the natural kind. You can always add artificial sweetener and/or cinnamon to improve the taste. I've had some peach slices & these were in natural juice & the light syrup minus the syrup. Perhaps you can check with one of the RNs or the dieticians for some tips.

Not sure if this was helpful but hope it might. I didn't have capsules to deal w/which may have been better or worse; I'm not sure.

NANA-I was also told to use foods with no more than 4 or 5 grams of sugar per serving. You can try eating a half serving of applesauce which will put you at 4 grams. Some full solid foods include sugar free pudding cups, cream of wheat, plain oatmeal, plain grits, INSTANT mashed potatoes made thin and no lumps (great with a small dab of spaghetti sauce). Use a no calorie sweetener for the hot cereals and a bit of sugar free syrup mixed in tastes good too. Make the hot cereals and instant potatoes with skim milk to increase the protein value.

I can tell you from experience that when I started the full liquid phase I ate cream of wheat and then instant potatoes and I thought I was in H-E-A-V-E-N. Enjoy!!! You deserve it :) :) :)

Nana,

I mixed my crushed pills in Greek yogurt and found that was the best for me. I, too, like Pat thought I was in heaven when I could have cream of wheat and mashed potatoes fixed thin. Another thing, our nutritionist would not allow creamed soups but I could put chicken noodle soup in the blender and eat that on full liquids. Our nutritionist said to limit each meal to no more than 16 Grams of carbs. Since coming to this forum I have learned that every program is different. I strive for the ideal that I was taught in classes but find that I can't always stick to the ideal and do the very best I can. I enjoyed the fat free, sugar free puddings too.

Thanks everyone for all the info. You would think that there would be some sort of normality when it comes to sugar grams, etc....I tried the pills in my soup today, just enough to get them down. Someone told me that I can get prilosec in liquid form at the pharmacy...don't know if that is true, but I am going to check it out.

Nana, I don't know if you have Kroger where you live, but they have a CarbMaster yogurt that has about 4gm carbs per serving.

Yes, we have a Kroger about 20 minutes from here, not out of the way, I'll have to go and check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Back