• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

One week out, should I be concerned that I haven't lost any weight???

donnayork

Yesterday was one week since my surgery. Still have pain on my left side but doing ok. I am getting in 60 grams protein an 80 oz water a day. But weighed myself this morning an not a single pound gone. Is it to early to worry about? Do I need to try an get in more than the 60 grams of protein. Or am I being to obsessed with it. I did this surgery so I could relief back pain the weight loss part is the bonus prize for me. So unless the weight goes down neither does my back pain. Any advise to what I'm doing wrong. I so want to get this right. This is a very emotional journey, so lots of hidden tears lately. You know feeling like a failure, reading other stories an seeing in the first two weeks that they lost a very good amount of weight an seeing mine has not changed. Please someone tell me it will start to change.

Hi Donna, congrats on completing the surgery. A week out is not too early to expect to see some weight loss, however that depends on when you weighed yourself last. If you weighed yourself prior to surgery and are only now stepping on the scale, you may not have noticed a weight gain from the surgery. They pump you with plenty of liquids to keep you hydrated and that can add a bunch of weight. I gained 10 pounds during my surgery and stay in the hospital. It took about a week to start falling below what I was pre-surgery. Your protein and water intake seem fine. Get as much exercise as possible, walking is the best at this early stage. Don't do more until your doctor approves it. Your body needs time to heal.

You're doing great. Keep us posted.

Frank

:cool:

Thank you Frank, I think I put on around 10 lbs too. I weighed myself a little while ago an am down 6 lbs from what I was when I got home so I hoping that means it will continue to go down.

Don't obsess about weight loss, it will come. If you are sticking to your plan and getting enough exercise you will do just fine. My advise is not to pray for patients (never a good idea) but to relax and let nature take its course. Do the things you enjoy and forget the surgery, its time to heal.

cheers

Last edited:
Congratulations Donna!

You and I had our surgery on the same day! I read with interest your post and I had to get out my drink and green sheet (my bible of what I can eat) and compare data.
I am supposed to drink 4 ounces of my protein drink 3 x day. I am drinking Atkins Advantage - 11 ounces container with 15g Protein and 160 Calories. I did the math
and that is only 16.36g Protein and 174.54 Calories. I think it is amazing how doctors differ. I too suffer back pain and arthritis in my knee. I live in Upstate, NY and we have snow so today I ventured out to Walmart for an hour and I felt very hot and overwhelmed. I know about the tears because my left side hurts so much. I agree with Frank because I had a weight gain while I was in the hospital. Keep following your doctor's instructions and DO NOT DEVIATE. Your doctor and his team will advise you about you weight when you have your follow-up appointment. You are only into it one week and one day...hang in there Donna this is a lifetime commitment and YOU CAN DO IT!! I would love to compare what we can eat. Please feel free to write me anytime and good luck on your journey!!! Hugs, Nancy

Back