• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve or not to sleeve

Missey

Well....done with all my requirementsand I am now finding out that my insurance company does not cover a sleeve surgery as I was told they would. Sighs....the doctor wants to do the sleeve but I can't afford it without insurance. Has anyones insurance say they would not cover the surgery and in the end did ?

I haven't had that problem. I am having the switch, but it seemed that my insurance covered most everything. Have you tried calling them to see what you can have?

They cover lap band and by pass at 100%. Am now told by a manager that the sleeve is ok'ed sometimes....depends on the doctor and whats wrong with me.

They cover lap band and by pass at 100%. Am now told by a manager that the sleeve is ok'ed sometimes....depends on the doctor and whats wrong with me.

Discuss further with your surgeon. It's possible that all you need is a letter of medical necessity. I have Medicare and they only cover the RNY (gastric by-pass) and the Lap Band. Otherwise I would have had the Sleeve. But, the RNY is an excellent surgery so try not to be upset if your insurance will only cover this one.

Last edited:
When I had mine done my insurance only covered the RnY and the Band. I like what Pat and Nanna said talk with your surgons and see what they say, maybe they can convince them. The cost is probably about the same and from what I hear the success rate is similar. :cool: Tom

Same thing for me. Medicare will only cover the Roux-en-Y. After a lot of consideration, I decided that they may do so because it is so successful so I am going forward although I wanted the sleeve as well. I think a part of me is secretly looking for ways to keep up my old habits and I know I have to change my food habits and RNY will force this. I am nervous and excited and hoping I am making the right decision too. I look forward to hearing what you decide to do. My sister had RNY done and she is doing great nearly 10 years later and she struggled her whole life.

Hi NewAge Writer, Welcome. It is a wonderful journey, I had the RnY two years ago with only one little bump in the road and I am doing great, I would noy change a thing. It is a whole lifestyle change and the WLS is a tool to help us accomplish our goals. it is ok to be nervous and excites I was all that too. There are a great bunch of folks here that have gone through or are going through the same thing you are, make sure to come back and let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Thanks for such a quick response. I don't feel so lonely anymore. So good to share with so many like yourself. I will definitely follow daily so hopefully we will be good buddies...

NewAgeWriter-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to have WLS. It is a wonderful tool that makes it easier to lose weight as ;ong as we comply with the "rules". It's a life long journey of hard work and by no means a magic bullet for success. Meal plans will need to be followed, supplements for the rest or our lives (for RNY patients), support groups, follow up visits and bloodwork every 6 to 12 months. It's all worth it :)

You will find this forum friendly, informative, caring, fun and above all everyone cares. Stop by anytime and ask questions, vent, offer advice and have fun :) :)

Back