• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Scheduled for the 28th of Aug :)

Cali40

It's moving all so fast, I had my pre-op appointment last week and surgery is set for Aug 28th 2012. The entire process only took 2 months, I am excited and scared. Is it feasible to only be out for 2 weeks if I have a desk job? I am trying to only take vacation time.

:DGrats on a surgery date.....I'm the 27th and yes....at this point its scary and exciting at the same time.

Cali-Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. If you are having the lap band you will be back to work in 2 weeks or less. If you are having the Sleeve you might be able to return to work in 2 weeks. If you are having Gastric Bypass (RNY) you will probably not be able to return to work in 2 weeks. It will probably be more like 6 to 8 weeks, possibly as much as 12 weeks. The RNY is a much more invasive surgery and there is a lot of healing that needs to take place. Plus you will be down a lot of weight in the first couple of weeks. Since you will not be eating hardly at all for the first few weeks you are going to feel extremely tired. Your energy will start to come back during the 3rd month after surgery and you will have energy to spare after that :) :) :) Recovery time will be a little different for everyone depending on your age, weight and general health but this should give you a rough idea.

Hi Cali, Welcome. It is normal to be scared, anxious and nervous and about adozen other emotions, I know I was all that, make sure you have a good support system around you with family and friends espoecially when you go in on the surgery day, I was so scared:p Luckily I had my three daughters there with me for support. two weeks is a bit ambitious for the RnY I was out about 4 weeks and on light duty for a couple more weeks but I did not feel 100% until two or three months out, it might be best to atleast plan for 4 weeks and let your employer know it could be longer or shorter depending on your doctors orders, make sure you talk this over with your doctor. And like Pat said, you will need a lot of rest and your body will let you know, I found myself taking several naps a day and sleeping well at night. Let us know how you are doing. :cool: Tom

Hi everyone. I have been away for awhile while i completed my 6 month program required by my insurance company. Nnow, i have a surgery date of aug. 28. I am excited and a bit nervous at the same time i have started a 2 week pre- surgical diet of protein shakes only this past wednesday. So far so good! I went yesterday for my medical clearance from my pcp, and have appointments with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist on monday 8/20. I cant believe it is happening! Pat and tom- i am a bit nervousabout your comments about the length of time out of work after my rny. 2-3 months for real? I can't afford that much time off!!! I am a nurse and my job is predominantly at a desk, i need to be able to go out to see patients when necessary. Yikes!! I hope i heal faast. I told my boss i will likely be out for 3 weeks or so after the surgery.

Hi Marge, We are all different and my job was fairly arduous so my doctor didn't want me to get to work and over do it, beside being tired and taking lots of nap I could have sat at a desk all day (and slept through half of it:rolleyes:), so just play it by ear and how you feel, if you are not lifting anything it may be ok, time will tell. Congratulations on your date, how exciting!! :cool: Tom

I am going Aug 28th as well! I am scared and nervous, and I am actually doubting if I really want to do this!I have never felt so many emotions at one time! I hope all goes well for you!

Hi Dragonfly4Lisa, Cool screen name:D The emotions you are feeling are very normal, I remeber the closer I got to surgery the more scared I got, I also remember the day it really hit me, that was when I met the surgeons and set the date, it all came down like a ton of bricks:eek: Then came the night before my surgery I was so scared, excited, anxious, nervous, and had that state of "what the heck am I doing!!!!" (i didn't think heck:rolleyes:) But I just had to keep remembering that I did try everything else and I did it numerous times with the same result, Eistein had a word for it "insanity", I knew in my heart that I had thought long and hard about this and I did not make my desision lightly so there was no point in turning back at the last minute, so hang in there, you are going through the same emotions most of us all went through. :cool: Tom

Pat99 - You always have such informative, sound advice. I think you're a real credit to the forum. Plus, you're so patient with newbies (like me). I'm glad you typed the post about being really tired for the first 2-3 months. That's helped me make a sound decision as to whether to go back to WV to see my grandchildren and my "adopted family" - that's my daughter-in-laws family. They're fantastic people, and I love them a lot. My parents have both passed away, and I no longer have any living family. Thank goodness for my husband. Anyway, I'm getting off subject. I think I'd be better off to wait until some time after the first of the year and go after I regain my energy. My grandchildren will be so excited about Santa that I don't think they'll miss the fact that my husband and I aren't there. We'll still send them gifts, of course. Maybe Easter would be a good time to go. Everyone in my extended family will be getting together then. When we "get together", there usually are anywhere from 30 to 45 people in the house. Needless to say, they're house is huge. We can spend Christmas day with our elderly next door neighbors, because they'll be alone. They may be old, but they act like they're my age. So, I'm sure we can still have a nice Christmas.

Barb-Thanks, I'm glad I was able to help you with my input :) I still remember how I felt before and just after surgery and the dozens and dozens of questions I had. Since we are all different we progress at different rates. The younger you are the faster you will regain your strength and energy. I was 57 when I had my RNY so it took me a little longer to get back to my "normal". Just remember to get as much sleep as you can after surgery and also take naps when you feel tired during the day. This is the time you need to listen to your body and not fight it by pushing yourself to exhaustion. It's also critical to follow the meal plan after surgery. All of this will help you heal faster and better.

I'm 61 and will be closer to the 62 side when I have my surgery (if everything goes smoothly). After hearing what you had to say, I'd guess it'll take me the 3 months to be back on my feet. I don't see the neutritionist and the psychologist until the middle of next week, and I'm already having lots of different emotions. I'm sure I want the surgery, though, because I'm so sick of yoyoing with every diet I hear about. I even tried Weight Watchers, followed the plan, measured every bite that went into my mouth and still only lost 5 pounds in 2 months. My husband couldn't even believe it. I take several medicines that slow the metabolism, so losing weight has been a real challenge - like an impossibility. I'm expecting to lose slower than the norm even after having the gastric bypass due to the meds. I so want to be able to wear "normal" size clothes. We have a pool, and I'm sick of looking like a beached whale every time I put on my swimming suit. I'm really self-conscious about it.

Barb-I just want to assure you that feeling a lot of different emotions at one time is perfectly normal before and after surgery. Also, make sure you disclose your complete medical history to the surgeon along with an accurate med list. If you had a consult with the surgeon yet you should have addresed your situation about slow weight loss. It's also helpful to keep a list of questions and concerns so you can take the list with you during your visits to the nutritionist and surgeon. It's very easy to forget a question during your visits unless you have them written down. My PCP knows that I bring a note with a few questions every time I go there and always asks me for a copy before I leave *LOL*

Hi all ... I just got home from the hospital yesterday 8/31 after having rny gastric bypass tuesday the 28th... is it normal for it to hurt when liquid is going down? And all of the acid reflux?

Hi Cali, Welcome. I don't recal any pain when I was drinking liquids but I went home with a strong liquid pain reliever for the first week. I didn't have any acid reflux but I did have a lot of gas. If it continues beyond monday make sure to call your doctor on tuesday morning. Tom

Cali-Yes, liquids can be uncomfortable. If cold liquids are causing discomfort try tepid or warm liquids instead. Your surgeon should have prescribed you an antacid such as prilosec for acid reflux. If not you need to call the office and get a prescription. I take 20 mg of prolosec twice a day, for the rest of my life. The antacid protects your digestive system from damage.

Thank you guys for the info ... I also had a hernia near my belly button fixed there is pain there and around the drain area not directly just like sore like a million situps sore... not too bad now that I was able to get my liquid paid meds. And they did prescribe prilosec ..i remember them giving that to me in the hospital too. Thank you again :)

Hi this is elaine surgery on may 16th. Honestly i have taken much longer than i planned to recover. I had the gastric by pass. Alot has to do with the low calorie intake which involves just what i can eat. Problems with nausea and diarrhea. The good is i can eat almost anything. I feel like just eating small amounts is not bad. I struggle with eating slowly. I am 60_ish but active. I worked surgery and was amazed the way pts. Were told to expect quick recovery times. Everyone this is a time to put you first take the time you need....this is such a life style change. I have lost 45 pds....24 to a 16 ...i am small framed .

Back