• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Tuna for Easter dinner!!!

[COLOR=""]Finally I get to eat solid food today!!! For breakfast I had 1/2 of a scrambled egg and 1/2 piece of toast. For my Easter dinner, I shall be dining on tuna and 2 crackers while husband gets to eat ribs, cornbread casserole, and okra gumbo. Doesn't seem fair :) Good luck on your journey everybody. Have a Blessed Easter. Hugs, Nancy[/COLOR]

If you get solid food why don't you have just tastes or what ever you can tolarate of the food your husband is eating? I had my surgery just before Thanksgiving last year and i just nibbled on Thanksgiving dinner and that worked for me. Just an idea that way you don't feel left out. Happy Easter and happy loosing! Michele

Oh I would never do that...my doctor gave me a green laminated sheet of paper which spells out exactly what I am to eat for the next 7 weeks. I had to promise not to deviate from the sheet. I have no desire to end up back in the hospital. You have a Happy Easter and good luck on you journey! Hugs, Nancy

Noturningback-That tuna will taste like a big juicy steak :) :) :) Smart move on your part to stay away from the menu your husband is dining on. Even a tiny bite of those ribs could quite possibly cause dumping or at the very least nausea and vomiting. You are wise to stick to the meal plan you were given; it's there for a reason. You would be surprised by the number of people who complain about getting sick because they only had a bite of chicken strips, fries, pizza, etc. when they were not past the final stage of the meal plan. There were even a couple of them that tried to eat solid food the first week home after surgery. What were they thinking??? Keep up the good work. It's all worth it in the end.

Hi Pat,
Thanks for writing back. My 1/4 cup tuna with mayo and 2 crackers was a feast fit for a King!!! Have a fantastic day. Hugs, Nancy

Nancy-I'm glad you enjoyed Easter dinner so much. You are very fortunate to be able to eat tuna so early after surgery. I was still eating cottage cheese mashed up with a fork *LOL* Did you have to puree it first? My surgery was 14 months ago and have just recently been able to eat meat without any discomfort. I was able to eat very small amounts of tuna and and certain lean lunchmeats but not until 5 weeks post surgery. I couldn't even eat eggs until around week 5 or 6. Almost all of my protein came from cheese and protein bars. The funny thing is that most people with gastric bypass usually can't tolerate protein bars for up to 6 months post op so I really lucked out there.

Make sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Pat,

Cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce, and mashed potatoes were on my 2nd week. My 3rd week is 1/4 cup tuna or 1/2 scrambled egg and 2 crackers. I like them both equally but eating 1/2 scrambled over 15-20 minutes is no fun because it gets cold. So far I have been lucky that I am able to eat without incident. Next week is broiled or baked fish. The lunch meats and vegetables don't come until week 4. It is amazing how each doctor is different in his menu's and how each person is different in what they can and cannot tolerate. I have to go walking now...30 minutes of exercise per day. My knee hurts too bad and I only could do 15 minutes. Nice chatting with you. Have a great afternoon. Hugs, Nancy

Nancy, you're doing a great job, keep it up. You are an inspiration to others who are tempted to stray from their plan. If you can only walk 15 minutes, then go twice and you still have your 30 minutes. My knees hurt at first too, but now I have no problems and am running again. It's great. You are on the way to becoming a BIG LOSER.

Frank

:cool:

Congratulations on making the choice to follow doctor's orders. Nothing about others eating what they can is fair-such is life. I am 10 months post op and I stuck to my food plan yesterday. I had salmon and spinach. There were 15 family members and we went to our favorite resturant. Everyone indulged, but I have worked to hard to do that to myself. I was quite satisfied and had enough left over for 2 more meals. I did want a taste of the Italian cheesecake, but I didn't go there. Keep up the good work.

Back