• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Update...lost job, no desire to eat.

Hello Friends,
Hope everybody is doing well on their journey! I was doing great until two weeks ago when I lost my job of 28 years :-( I am so upset that I have no appetite. It wasn't enough that I was so obsessed about loosing my hair and getting enough protein in my diet that now the thought of food makes me ill. Some days I even have difficulty getting my 64 ounces of liquid. I hate to be such a downer but I just wanted to share my situation. Please keep my in your thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Nancy

Nancy,

I am so sorry to hear that. The last time I lost a job, all I did was eat and eat and eat. I'm glad to see you are not using food for comfort, but I'm worried that you get enough protein and fluids to stay healthy. It's been two weeks, if things don't improve soon, you should seek counseling to help you get over the hump and back to eating healthy again. I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts, just let us know how you are doing, we care.

Frank

:cool:

So sorry to hear that. A job doesn't complete us but sure helps pay the bills. As Sharon mentioned, I hope this opens a door for something wonderful for you. Sometimes things happen for the best, right? Keep positive and if you don't start eating, please get help or worse things can happen besides losing your hair. Take care and let us know how you are doing.
Kelly

Wow...I'm so sorry this happened! I too lost a job of 21 years last June and I know it is very devastating. You must have been very invested in your job to have stayed that long.
I know I was so shocked by the whole thing that I couldn't eat either. Unfortunately, that didn't last and I started eating for comfort. 40 lbs of comfort!!!!!! Now it's 40 lbs of regret that I can't seem to lose before my WLS on Aug 9th.
Hang in there, though, because once the shock wears off and the grief passes, you will start to see new opportunities. Perhaps you can use some of this time "off" to rest, relax, pick up on your exercise, and spend time taking care of YOU. Some employers who have EAP programs (employee assistance) will provide short term counseling if you are laid off. It's usually free.

Aw so sorry Nancy!! I lost my job over 3 years ago and thus began my downward spiral- my health issues got so bad I couldn't go back to work- I feel useless and we are living paycheck to paycheck- so I can understand where you are- I didn't feel like eating either- but I haven't had my surgery yet- July 30- so I am hoping to get some of my health issues taken care of as I loose the weight so I am able to find a job and go back to work. I agree with Frank- get help if you need to because you need to get the fluids and proteins in you- you have come too far to undo all the good and get sick!! Take care and you will be in my thoughts!!!!!

Very sorry to hear this. It can really be scary especially in this economy. I will try and impart some positive words. You are not eating over this so that's amazing. You are an experienced worker and hopefully will find something else. I know this can be devastating, but believe in yourself. Sending out positive energy and grace to you.

Back