• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

REGAIN SUPPORT THREAD

TODAY IS DAY 2 OF BACK ON TRACK. SO FAR MY FITBIT HAS REGISTERED 5,224 STEPS. I HAVE AN ZUMBA CLASS AT 8 SO HOPING TO GET MY 10,000 STEPS IN BY BEDTIME. FOOD HAS BEEN REALLY GOOD TODAY. YESTERDAY TOO. FOCUS HAS BEEN ON PROTEIN AND VEGGIES. STILL HAVE TO GET MY WATER IN. I AM AMAZED THAT WHEN I DO NOT EAT SLIDER FOODS HOW FULL I GET. PROBABLY WHY I REGAINED. DEFINETELY REINTRODUCED THOSE FOODS INTO MY DIET. MADE A DELICIOUS ALFRDO SAUCE USING LOW FAT COTTAGE CHEESE. HAD IT FOR DINNER OVER VEGGIES AND CHICKEN. I CAN POST THE RECIPE TONIGHT IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN IT.

Hi, Lisa. I'm here to say, Girl, same! I just keep gaining a few at a time but they do not want to come off. If I stick to meat first, I fill up very quickly. But I have never been a huge meat eater. I prefer slow cooked meats, which are a lot easier to digest.

I'm totally in for some refocus style support. And would LOVE your cottage cheese based Alfredo recipe. Good on you for taking th initiative.

day three. my focus with losing regain is the following:
1) bariatric multi taken at night (i get sick to my stomach on them so taking them b4 bed helps)
2)water 64 oz
3)protein and veggies
4)at least 30 minutes of movement if i cant get my 10,000 steps in
5)need to add a good calcium supplement (any suggestions that do not break the bank?)
6) meal prep work lunches 2x a week (breakfast is a protein shake-i never was a big breakfast eater)

tonight i did a lot of walking around. my grandchildren had soccer tonight so did a lot of chasing little ones on the soccer field. in a little bit i will do a work out video from you tube. youtube is a wonderful resource for workouts. i found yoga, kickboxing zumba, spin classes, taichi,indoor walking, weight training etc. also found free classes on zoom off of facebook. i live in western ny. our winters are brutal. its great to have free resources for exercise especially in bad weather.

dinner tonight was chichen breast smoked on my treager and leftover veggies that i roasted ahead of time. added 1/4 c of cottage cheese alfredo over the veggies. Yumm!!! last night i had tyson blackened chicken. great to have that in a pinch and a quick/easy protein for meal prep. its great for salads too. lunch was a chicken salad w/ ff cheddar and lite ranch. still have a bit of water to work on! of to do a video. have a good night everyone!

Last edited:
Hi, Lisa. I'm here to say, Girl, same! I just keep gaining a few at a time but they do not want to come off. If I stick to meat first, I fill up very quickly. But I have never been a huge meat eater. I prefer slow cooked meats, which are a lot easier to digest.

I'm totally in for some refocus style support. And would LOVE your cottage cheese based Alfredo recipe. Good on you for taking th initiative.

Missy! glad you are here!!! thank you for posting!!!Please join in and lets get this regain off! post anytime girl! we got this!!!

here is the youtube link where i got the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 container of cottage cheese (any brand, any style-i used lowfat)
a couple of cloves of garlic

directions:
chop up garlic in your food processor. then add your container of cottage cheese. blend until smooth.

i add grated parm and i cant believe its butterspray. i usually put it on top of steamed broccoli and add a protein like shrimp or chicken. i have also used palmini. blending the cottage cheese gives you the consistancy of a creamy alfredo but without the fat. i added extra garlic as i love garlic. i dont eat with pasta but it can be eaten with it if thats on your plan and what you choose.

5)need to add a good calcium supplement (any suggestions that do not break the bank?)

this is what I take. I get the big bottle of 400 tabs at a time. The RDA is one tab per day. I take three because I want to be on the safe side, at my age and to ward off osteoporosis.

It seems really common for elderly people to fall and break a hip. But I read somewhere long ago that it's the opposite: You break your hip bone, then you fall, because of osteoporosis. At my age, I'm not taking any chances. I have a whole raft of supplements I take over the course of a day. I take 500mg of calcium 3 times, as that's recommended for my age group, 1500mg of calcium.

I don't know anything about 21st Century brand supplements, but I've been taking about 20 pills a day (various supplements and meds) in four doses. My blood work is always excellent and knock wood, no bones broken so far & I'm 72. I take a double dose of some meds as recommended by my bariatric nutritionist.

This is a really good thing to look into. Even if you were eating like a normal person who hadn't had surgery, you wouldn't be able to get a full complement of nutritional numbers in a day. We just can't, unless you live on a farm and get all the meat, eggs, and veggies out of your garden and pasture (which is how I grew up).

But trust your nutritionist to guide you on this. It is possible to take too much, and you can't take two different minerals at the same time, because they cancel each other out. So, take your iron at least 2 hours apart from your calcium, etc.

Good question. We all need to know this.

this is what I take. I get the big bottle of 400 tabs at a time. The RDA is one tab per day. I take three because I want to be on the safe side, at my age and to ward off osteoporosis.
View attachment 5668

It seems really common for elderly people to fall and break a hip. But I read somewhere long ago that it's the opposite: You break your hip bone, then you fall, because of osteoporosis. At my age, I'm not taking any chances. I have a whole raft of supplements I take over the course of a day. I take 500mg of calcium 3 times, as that's recommended for my age group, 1500mg of calcium.

I don't know anything about 21st Century brand supplements, but I've been taking about 20 pills a day (various supplements and meds) in four doses. My blood work is always excellent and knock wood, no bones broken so far & I'm 72. I take a double dose of some meds as recommended by my bariatric nutritionist.

This is a really good thing to look into. Even if you were eating like a normal person who hadn't had surgery, you wouldn't be able to get a full complement of nutritional numbers in a day. We just can't, unless you live on a farm and get all the meat, eggs, and veggies out of your garden and pasture (which is how I grew up).

But trust your nutritionist to guide you on this. It is possible to take too much, and you can't take two different minerals at the same time, because they cancel each other out. So, take your iron at least 2 hours apart from your calcium, etc.

Good question. We all need to know this.
thank you so much! definetely going to get these! great price for calcium citrate too!!!

day 4
had a lazy day. did not want to work out so i pulled up youtube and did 30 min of yoga. did not meet my step goal but still did something. did good food wise, had a chicken cobb salad for lunch, dinner was italian chicken sausages with peppers and onions. snack i had some quest loaded taco protein chips. breakfast was a vanilla fairlife shake,

I had a painting party this evening and food was provided. I don't love that since I don't know what goes in it but didn't want to cook. So, just in case I went ahead and took a brisk 45 minute walk before hand to burn a few extra calories.

I am hitting my local farm tomorrow to pick fresh veggies. I'm going to spend the week doing some make ahead meals and freezing them. Then I'll have healthy meals available for those days I don't want to cook. I am considering learning how to can. My BFF canned tomatoes last year and they were AH-mazing. They tasted fresh off the vine even months later. Well see how the tomato crop looks.

I had a painting party this evening and food was provided. I don't love that since I don't know what goes in it but didn't want to cook. So, just in case I went ahead and took a brisk 45 minute walk before hand to burn a few extra calories.

I am hitting my local farm tomorrow to pick fresh veggies. I'm going to spend the week doing some make ahead meals and freezing them. Then I'll have healthy meals available for those days I don't want to cook. I am considering learning how to can. My BFF canned tomatoes last year and they were AH-mazing. They tasted fresh off the vine even months later. Well see how the tomato crop looks.

hi missy,
the painting party sounds like a blast!!! what did you paint? great job on the walk and the plan to meal prep!!! keep us posted on what you get at the farm and what you make for meal prep. i always like to see what people make. gives me new ideas. used to go to the farmers market here locally. you can get some great deals on produce. if you pick them yourself probably even better! so glad you posted!! looking forward to reading more posts from you!!

yesterday went to lunch with my daughter. went to outback. had steak and steamed veggies. dinner ate the rest of the chicken italian sausage with some roasted veggies. spent the day today binge watching disney movies with my grandchildren had my usual breakfast yesterday and today (a proffee). last night some quest chips. today i made one of those cottage cheese pizza bowls people are talking about on tictok, very yummy. dinner was more steak and some asperagus. had a sting cheese and some turkey pepperoni for snack.
water is going good. exercising is a struggle but i am forcing myself. been doing indoor walking videos from youtube and trying to get my steps in.
my main goal is not to resort to emotional eating and staying on track. have some stuff going on but am working on doing different things other than using food for comfort. hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

Sounds like you're really staying focused, Lisa. That's great.

I did go to the farm and picked So!Much!Veg!! I got 15lbs of Roma tomatoes, a big bag full of multi colored bell peppers. I also got banana peppers, butternut squash, acorn squash, zucchini, watermelon, green beans, cantaloupe and cabbage! The cauliflower and broccoli were already blooming so I had to do without them.

I cut up the fruits and put them in the fridge for snacking. I cleaned and sliced the bell peppers along with onions. I vacuum sealed them and into the freezer they went. Now, I can just grab a bag for fajitas, pepper steak or stuffed pepper soup. I prepped the green beans into single serving size bags and popped then in the freezer too. I shredded the cabbage and plan to make Colcannon to go with Irish stew this week. I'm going to use the rest to make unstuffed cabbage and freeze that for future meals. All the squash I'm going to turn into soup and freeze for later. I'm going to make zucchini bread for the freezer and zucchini chaffles for lunches next week. I will also be stewing the tomatoes. Then I guess Ill figure out canning, because there are a LOT of them.

Looks like I'm in for a busy week!

Ah ha!! I have successfully canned tomatoes!! Of course that will be the last time but whatever lol By the time I stewed and cut the cores out of the tomatoes, I got 5 quart mason jars. That's a lot if work for 5 jars of tomatoes! They better be good.

I made eggplant slices with a tomato and parmesan topping to go with BBQ tubes yesterday. Didn't love the end result but .. I get to eat again another day right? And the ribs were good. Then Dave and I took an hour walk. So I got my exercise in.

Dave and I started a 10lb challenge. Were going to try to lose 10lbs. But the plan is really more focused eating and quality activity.

I would like to know what you did to re-start your weight-loss. I had the sleeve in 2019. I just found a great Bari-Vitamin that I can tolerate that has a probiotic in it. Covid really helped out with the gain as well as life, not taking vitamins and grazing because I am really not hungry but eating the wrong foods. Also, congratulations!

here is the youtube link where i got the recipe.

Ingredients:
1 container of cottage cheese (any brand, any style-i used lowfat)
a couple of cloves of garlic

directions:
chop up garlic in your food processor. then add your container of cottage cheese. blend until smooth.

i add grated parm and i cant believe its butterspray. i usually put it on top of steamed broccoli and add a protein like shrimp or chicken. i have also used palmini. blending the cottage cheese gives you the consistancy of a creamy alfredo but without the fat. i added extra garlic as i love garlic. i dont eat with pasta but it can be eaten with it if thats on your plan and what you choose.
Thanks for sharing. This sounds delicious!!!!

Candy, if I need to restart my weight loss or more accurately re-lose some weight I've gained, I have to go right back to the basics. I measure my foods and track my intake. I go back to protein first, veggies next then starches, carbs or fruit.

I'll be honest, I start gaining when I start making bad decisions or just play a little loose with the rules. Ice cream is not a substitute for dinner lol And really, I CAN have ice cream but only after protein. Which means a few spoonfuls instead of a small. Or if I have more than 1 drink in a weekend. (Margaritas have like 600 calories!!)

So, I reign it in. I feel TOO freaking GOOD to go back, even a little!! An extra 4lbs puts 20 additional pounds of pressure on your knees. I can't afford that. My entire family has arthritis and has had at least 1 joint replacement. I'm trying to keep all my stuff til the bitter end lol

Alright! I weighed today and my hard work is paying off. I do have to say, I miss those early days when the pounds just FELL off lol but hey .. A little loss is better than no loss. And our challenge does not have a time table. I figured 4-6 weeks at an average of 1-2lbs per week. I am down 3 so far, so I consider myself ahead of the game!

Today I rode my bike for about 35 minutes. I just follow my bike trail around but it took me about 50 minutes at the beginning of summer. Incremental progress.

Tomorrow is "date night" so we're heading out to a downtown antique fair and the hitting a comedy show. But no garbage food for me!

Back