• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie... And Kinda Nervous

klutzy_ginger

Hello All,

My name is Ashley. I am currently a sophomore at Ohio University studying Music Therapy. I'm here today because, though I haven't fully made up my mind, I am really leaning towards having bariatric surgery in the upcoming years. I am 20 years old, which I know is really young, but I have been struggling with my weight since childhood. At the age of 6, I weighed 100 lbs and had my first run in with bullying. I was in kindergarten. Over the years, I have gone on diet after diet but nothing has worked. During middle school, I found out that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). For those of you who are not familiar with the terminology, my body does not process carbohydrates properly, thus, rather than being converted into energy, they are turned into fats. It also can affect the way menstrual cycle works. In high school, I discovered that I have OCD. This week, I found out I have high blood pressure. I'm at my breaking point. I'm currently taking 4 medications. I feel like I'm too young for this. This past fall, my mother, who suffers from many of the same problems that I do, decided that she was going to get a gastric sleeve. I went with her to some of her nutritionist appointments and have also been to some of the informational groups with her. I think this may be my last option. I know that it's going to be a struggle, but with the support of my family I hope that I can make it through. My mother, who has lost almost 100 lbs since her surgery in September, looks amazing. It's something that I cannot help but be proud of. I know that I just wrote out my life story for you to read, but I am really looking for your ideas of what I can do and your advice for my future. Thanks for listening.

-Ashley

Hello All,

My name is Ashley. I am currently a sophomore at Ohio University studying Music Therapy. I'm here today because, though I haven't fully made up my mind, I am really leaning towards having bariatric surgery in the upcoming years. I am 20 years old, which I know is really young, but I have been struggling with my weight since childhood. At the age of 6, I weighed 100 lbs and had my first run in with bullying. I was in kindergarten. Over the years, I have gone on diet after diet but nothing has worked. During middle school, I found out that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). For those of you who are not familiar with the terminology, my body does not process carbohydrates properly, thus, rather than being converted into energy, they are turned into fats. It also can affect the way menstrual cycle works. In high school, I discovered that I have OCD. This week, I found out I have high blood pressure. I'm at my breaking point. I'm currently taking 4 medications. I feel like I'm too young for this. This past fall, my mother, who suffers from many of the same problems that I do, decided that she was going to get a gastric sleeve. I went with her to some of her nutritionist appointments and have also been to some of the informational groups with her. I think this may be my last option. I know that it's going to be a struggle, but with the support of my family I hope that I can make it through. My mother, who has lost almost 100 lbs since her surgery in September, looks amazing. It's something that I cannot help but be proud of. I know that I just wrote out my life story for you to read, but I am really looking for your ideas of what I can do and your advice for my future. Thanks for listening.

-Ashley

Hi Ashley! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I had gastric bypass RNY done last June, 9 months ago at 64 yrs old. I struggled over 10 yrs thinking seriously about having it done, but I was afraid. My cardiologist finally talked me into going for it, and it was the best decision I ever made. I was normal weight til I was 18 yrs old and got married and had a baby. I gained weight with my pregnacy and didn't lose it and the weight just kept creeping up and up and at my heaviest I was 392 lbs. Pre surgery I lost 34 lb. Post surgery I have lost another 114 lb. Life is so much easier now. I can breathe so much easier when I walk now. I was on oxygen but now I don't need it. I had sleep apnea but now I don't. My life is just so much improved since the surgery, its amazing! I also have had a problem with my ovaries most of my life, I had tons of cysts on my ovaries, and infections in my ovaries, I'm just now going to get a hysterectomy because even now I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if I had PCOS or not but I guess it's a possibility. Anyway, my advice would be to go for the surgery while you're still young. As you get older, health goes downhill with all the weight on. Also enjoy your young life being normal weight. I wish I would have done it ages ago. Life will be amazing! :)

Cheyenne

Ashley, Welcome to the forum. You may be young, but it seems like you've got a good understanding of your body and your problems. No one can make the decision for you (sorry!) but it sounds like you've got a built-in support group with your mother. Lots of people don't have any support.
I had the sleeve done 6 months ago and I'm really happy I did. I wasn't as smart as you, and when I was younger, I just figured the weight would come off someday. Talk about denial. I also had an obese father who lived longer than any of his thin friends, so I figured I would too.
Lots of people your age and younger than you have bariatric surgery. There's no reason to wait until your comorbidities get worse and almost kill you to act. Good luck to you!

Welcome Ashley

The decision is a big one. I chose to go for it and the only regret I have is not doing it years ago. I am now 41 but I have so much more energy than when I was 20 or even 30. I regret having my kids grow up with the big mom. Like I said my only true regret is that I didn't do it sooner. All I say is that you need to decide what is best for you. If you see the surgery as a tool you will be great. If you try to find ways to get around the smaller stomach you will gain weight. Whatever, you decide stay in touch with the group. It helps to have people available to sound things off of and just vent.

Good luck

I wish I would have done it at your age, I'm 48 now and just had it done, I feel like I waisted alot of good years with my children that I can't get back, but I still have alot of years left now that I made the choice to have bariatric bypass, good luck in whatever decision that you make

Hello All,

-Ashley
Hi Ashley. Welcome to the group. I love your Major. My family is very musical. Hubby is an award winning high school choir director and daughter is in his top choir. Good luck getting through school. Congrats to your mom and her weight loss. It sounds like you would have an excellent support system should you decide to do the gastric sleeve. That is SO important. I have to admit that life after gastric surgery isn't all easy peezy. You have to stick to a few meals a day and limit how much you eat each time in order to be successful. If. You can be prepared for this mentally and physically, you will be a success. You are not too young to have this surgery. Based on your weight and your lack of success with traditional diets, your weight will probably just continue to increase. You need to stop it now. Hope to see you around here.

Back