• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

schedualed surgery

my surgery will be oct 15 what should i expect as far as getting up and walking
Congrats on your upcoming surgery date. Are you talking about walking in the hospital? Doctors stress the importance of walking as soon as possible because of the air they insert into your belly during surgery. It causes a ton of gas that can be painful & you need to move to get it to start to dissipate. Once I was out of the recovery area, my pain was really well controlled with medication so it wasn't difficult at all. I actually enjoyed getting up and checking out the floor to break up the boredom of being in a hospital room. :)

I had my surgery on 9/11 at 7:30 am. I was up and walking before noon. It helps relieve the gas that they use to inflate your abdomen so I wanted to get moving. Plus the incisions were no big deal really. The gas remaining in my abdomen was quite a discomfort though. It took about 24 hours to really go away.

You go at a pace that works for you though.;) There are no medals for getting up fast and walking...at least I didn't get one. LOL!

Back